“Not impressed!”

Ranked #64 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
Cambridge
“Not impressed!”
Reviewed March 10, 2011

We picked this hotel for two reasons - high scores rating it shown on Tripadvisor and it was considerably cheaper than where we normally stay nearby in Dubai. But, from the moment of our check -in to our departure it was a major disappointment. We had read that the pool area was small - but surely no one could design a hotel near the beach with such a small pool area. It was chaotic with people sunbathing drapped over armchairs. OK they provide towels and mats for you to go to the beach, walking over a car poark and wasteland to get there. We had a balcony but surely the smallest we have ever had and a poor sea view! On four successive days they had no draft beer by the pool (no gas we were told but don't worry we'll have some tomorrow!). We opted out of the extortionately priced bottle beers. And, don't even ask the price of breakfast!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
SofitelDubaiJBR, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach on your visit to Dubai. I am extremely sorry for the disappointment you had during your stay. If you could please send me the details of your stay on customer.service@sofiteljbr.ae. I will be better able to fix the issues that caused problems in first place.

Look forward to your reply.

Sami Nasser

P.S. I hope you had a good time in India.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,111)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Carvoeiro, Portugal
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Following an e-mailed 3 for 2 night offer, I contacted reservations to confirm this meant payment of 6 nights for an 8 night stay, which I calculated at around £1250. She said this was correct and I would get best price for a sea view superior room and quoted a price in AED. I was, to put it mildly, surprised to find a debit on my Amex account of £1730.
The price on Sofitel's web-site that day for 8 days was £1380 !!
I contacted customer service by e-mail 5 times, phone once and by letter to their Directeur General. The constant reply was that their 'best price' offer applied only to on-line bookings. In other words booking by phone had a surcharge of £380.
In desperation I contacted the hotel directly and spoke to the reservations manager, Eglal, who was also appalled at my treatment and offered credit of the overcharge to spend at the hotel.
Unlike other 5* hotels we have used in Dubai there were no gardens to relax in or private beach - a public beach with a steep drop-off to the sea across a busy road, a carpark and some rough ground with a beach kit provided was all. The one small pool at 3rd floor was small with insufficient loungers and was in shade until 14.00.
Our 'superior' room was small and dark with only a side sea view and the toilet, as mentioned previously, was ridiculously small - one could only use the w.c. by having the door open and the bidet positioned so as to be impossible to sit on.
The staff however were excellent in terms of both service and friendliness, the hotel was spotlessly clean and the meals we had were of top quality - but not enough to entice us back or, after our initial appalling treatment, to stay at any Accor Group hotel again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
SofitelDubaiJBR, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach on your recent trip to Dubai. I am happy to know that you availed our 3 for 2 nights offer. Also, after the initial set back, our guest experience ambassadors and culinary team took good care of you.

I am sorry to hear that you the public beach right across the hotel disappointed you. The hotels that opened years ago have private beaches when this area was still under planning. All the new hotels can not have that privilege but they compensate by giving modern facilities and high service standards. We are adding extra sunloungers next week to accommodate the ever increasing demand by the poolside. The bathroom is small in some rooms because of the law by UAE tourism officials that mandated a bidet in bathrooms for all the luxury hotels. To accommodate a bidet in a newly opened luxury hotel was a challenge and we did the best we could. I am again sorry for all the inconvenience caused to you.

Regarding the incident about room charges, please send me the details of your stay on customer.service@sofiteljbr.ae and I will handle your complaint personally. As a group, we do not want to lose a customer due to an incident at one of the properties.

Look forward to hear from you soon.

Belfast
Reviewed March 6, 2011

Stayed here in early Jan as short break away from cold and also to visit with relatives. The hotel experience could not have been better. Have stayed in other Sofitels in Europe and whilst we have always enjoyed our stays, this particular hotel has a good balance of leaving you alone yet being attentive to any needs you have. The Sofitel hotel group is priced at the high end of the market and so could never be described as cheap or however when priced against other hotels in this category it probably does represent value for money. As we had realtives to guide us a round and help with our social itenerary I cannot comment on this aspect of service. However, around the pool, in the dining room etc attention to detail was good. Would recommend this Hotel without reservation.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach on your recent visit to Dubai. It is nice to know that you had a good time at the hotel. It is also a good feeling to know that you like to stay with Sofitel hotels when you travel.

Such positive feedback helps in staff motivation and that is what we strive for.

Look forward to welcome you again.

Scotland
Reviewed March 4, 2011

My wife and I stayed for three days at the Sofitel following a busy week cruising the gulf. We arrived early, and although check in was not until the afternoon, reception staff went out of their way to arrange a room immediately - upgrading us to a luxury room with fantastic views across the Palm.
I have to say this was a immaculate 5 star hotel and ALL staff were so pleasant, attentive and helpful. As an example, we happened to mention it was our wedding anniversary and that night we arrived back to our room to find a card from the manager along with chocolates and a cake!
Breakfast is buffet style with an amazing selection of food and much is freshly made or cooked by chefs to order.
The location of the hotel is right on 'The Walk' adjacent to Jumeirah Beech. There are numerous quality restaurants in the vicinity all of which are reasonably priced and within walking distance of the hotel.
Overall, this was a first class hotel in a very good location and would have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach on your gulf cruise. We always go extra mile(s) to make our guests' stay pleasant, such as yours. This is the meaning of true luxury and that is what we are known for.
We are glad to have made your special day more special with that extral little touch.

Look forward to welcome you again on your next visit.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed March 3, 2011

I have been staying at this hotel every two or three months for 2 years and I have to say that I have never experienced more personal service. When i once arrived very late in the night without packing tights that I needed for an early business meeting the next day, i was given the receptionists spare pair. They remember me and nothing is to much, the staff seems to really enjoy working here as I always find them smiling and over the last two year I haven't seen many new faces. The rooms are great, esspecially the full sea view ones, the pool with swim-up bar a dream and the location very nice. The gym is very good. But what makes this hotel special is the great staff!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
SofitelDubaiJBR, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach on your visits to Dubai. It is always special when our regular guests write a review. We will continue to impress you with personalised service and high quality facilities.

Look forward to your next visit.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 2, 2011

The bad: Traveling by cab, this hotel was the last one on the marina strip called Jumeirah Beach Resort area which was sort of inconvenient. I ran into traffic every time I head back to the hotel, about a 5-8 minute wait. Although free, they had wifi issues during my entire stay. Room service forgot my order the first night I checked in. Food at the Plantation Lounge took 40 minutes to prepare.

The good: The hotel is otherwise really nice. Their lobby, like all other Sofitels, has a nice smell to it. The room has impressive views, my balcony allowed me to see Palm Island/Atlantis and on the right was a view of the marina. Their infinity pool has amazing views.

Would I stay here again? Probably not, just because it's too far from all the major attractions and financial district. The marina area is known for its nice residential buildings. If you're an ex-pat staying longer than a month, this will be an ideal area to park your luggage. There is also the metro which would've helped with the commute but I didn't use it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach on your recent visit to Dubai. I am happy that you liked our modern design. The hotel has is a blend of Arabic and French cultures and it is visible in the architecture. The fragrance we used is imported from Paris and is a standard across all the Sofitel hotels. All our rooms face the sea and offer breathtaking views.

It is a pity that your overall experience was affected because of the traffic conditions in the area nearby. It gets conjusted on weekends becuase of the posh reputation of the area. One can easily spot all the expensive cars and bikes on a weekend. Most of our guests prefer to walk it out because of this uninvited road show that delays the otherwise 5 mins drive.
I was informed by my IT deptt. that the internet connection is stable in the hotel. If you don't mind sending me your room number on customer.service@sofiteljbr.ae, I will have the room checked for internet connectivity. I apologise for the inconvenience caused at the Plantation lounge and by room service. I can better look into the matter if I have the details of your stay. Please reply with the details of your stay.

I want to thank you again for your detailed review. It will definitely help us in improving our service standards.

I wish you a pleasant stay in Dubai on your next visit.

London
Reviewed February 28, 2011

The hotel position and public areas are nice, the restaurants and bars are wonderful, the pool is Good, but there is a problem with the bathroom, the WC area was so small it was impossible to use, literally!!! I can only describe room 1707. In my opinion it was designed by an idiot, built by a fool and is kept this way by madness.. If all the WC's are the same then I wouldn't stay there again. I think 5 star hotels should be about details, and this major problem hasn't been fixed since opening in 2009 - why?

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
SofitelDubaiJBR, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach, responded to this review, March 13, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach on your recent visit to Dubai. I'm glad you liked the hotel, its services and the location.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused to you due to the bathroom size. The hotel is designed in such a way that all the rooms have a view of the ocean and to make such a design possible, the architect had to take a few inches from a couple of rooms. Unfortunately, 1707 is one of them. We avoid renting that room to guests but due to a high demand period, we had to sell it.
Please send me your stay details on customer.service@sofiteljbr.ae as I would like to handle your complaint personally.

Hope to see you again on your next visit to Dubai.

Regards,