“Avoid - for the moment”

Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach
Ranked #65 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed September 30, 2010

This is a lovely hotel in an excellent location, however there are serious shortcomings which mean that I would have to urge readers to avoid the hotel until the hotel is finished.

I stayed for two nights courtesy of Emirates Airline as part of their Dubai Stopover program. Had I actually paid for the hotel, I would have been exceedingly unhappy to pay the rates they are asking (currently GBP 153 prepaid, non-refundable and GBP 192 flexible for a standard room and GBP 187 prepaid and GBP 234 flexible for the luxury seafront room).

On check-in I was upgraded to a luxury seafront room with a great view of the beach, Palm Jumeirah and the Atlantis Hotel. There are only 5 seafront rooms on each floor. Most rooms are actually down either side of the building with angled balconies pointing towards the sea but with no other view due to the neighbouring buildings. I can’t help feeling that the “sea view” from most rooms will be quite restricted.

I arrived mid afternoon after an early start and a long flight and I wanted to have a rest. However, there was continual drilling on the floor above my room which only stopped at 18:00. The next day the drilling started at 08:15. I left the room at 11:00 and when I returned at 17:00 it was still going on, stopping at 18:00.

Another issue was that on my first day my key card stopped working. The replacement card wouldn’t even work the lift and I had to get a third card. When I complained about this the reaction of staff on the front desk was that they were still in the soft opening phase and problems were to be expected. This attitude is wholly unacceptable. If a hotel is in a soft opening then its rates should reflect that full facilities are not available. More importantly, this hotel has been open for more than nine months. How long do management think they can get away with the “soft opening” excuse?????

Many previous reviewers have mentioned that the pool is not open. Even when it does open I think many guest will be bitterly disappointed. It is a plain rectangle shape on the third floor, feet away from the road in front of the hotel. There is a complete lack of shade and I suspect it will get crowded out very quickly. See attached photo of current state of pool.

The room was lovely although the layout of the bathroom could be better. There is a frosted glass wall between the shower and the section with the toilet and bidet. This wall has been placed so that the shower area is very large yet the toilet area is ridiculously cramped. My knees were touching the glass wall whilst seated on the toilet.
The area around the hotel livens up in the evenings and there are a huge number of cafes and restaurants to choose from in the immediate vicinity.

Apart from one bad experience in the Plantation Lounge (where I was ignored for 10 minutes and then they got my drink order wrong) all staff were excellent. They were all very pleasant and tried hard to help you.

If this hotel ever opens officially with all facilities in operation then I would be very happy to return, although people wanting a relaxing poolside holiday would be advised to go elsewhere (the Sheraton just down the road seemed to have a large well shaded pool). Once finished, I would have no hesitation in giving this hotel a five star review. However, as it is I can only review it based on its current state and my experience.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank Brum_Bob
SofitelDubaiJBR, Management at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2010

Dear Sir,

Allow me to grab the occasion to thank you for taking time to share your remarks.
We were enchanted to have you with us; I communicated your precious comments to our staff. We are looking forward to your next stopover, and our staff is waiting to make your stay the most outstanding one.
Also, we are happy to hear that the room was charming.

We reviewed your comments concerning your stay with us at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach and we do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedbacks we can get.
Your comments are important for us; it will allow us to improve our service quality. Please accept our sincere excuses for your inconvenience.
We apologize for the noise disturbance during the day and we hope you will have a better image of the hotel and specially swimming pool for your next stay.

As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for your valuable comments which will help us in our ongoing efforts to develop our services.
We promise we will do our best to prevent them from happening again. We would like to welcome you again to our hotel to witness the increase of service quality.

Thank you for your comments. Looking forward to receiving you again.

Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (5,927)

Reviewed September 30, 2010

form the moment we arrived, to the minute we left we knew this was going to be a wonderful experience. The staff could not do enough to help us out, nothing was too much trouble. Room - Excellent in both size and space. Hotel - even in its "soft stage" was class from top to bottom. Althought the pool area was not completed at the time of us staying, this did not deter us, even with us being offered a different hotel. Great bar downstairs, with good atmosphere. Local Restaurants located on a large strip either side of the hotel.

well worth the visit, i shall return next year. Booked with expedia, great deal too....

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 22, 2010

This hotel is still in the process of being built and is having regular teething problems. When I booked this middle of August, I was told the pool would be completed by end of August. It wasn't completed when I arrived middle-end of September. Considering the size of the hotel though, the pool and the lounge area would have been too small anyway.

The hotel is across the road from a beautiful quiet beach not far from the Palm. The hotel provided us with beach mats, towels and water. There were some waters sport activities going on a short walk away from the hotel too, for those feeling a bit more adventurous.

The hotel is also at the end of the JBR walk, there are lots of restaurants to eat in to suit every occasion and every budget. The marina is also a short walk away.

The hotel is lovely and spacious inside. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and the breakfast was nice and had lots of variety. There was also a choice of pork sausages and bacon!

This is a new hotel though and during our short stay we never actually managed to sleep through the night once. We were inundated with phone calls from reception every night and every silly hour of the morning. This turned out to be due to a phone issue where anyone on the 31st floor being called, transferred through to our room! This was then followed at 0230 on our last night by the hot water tank on the 32nd floor bursting and our floor being completed flooded with boiling hot water, followed by a 3 hour commotion as they tried to stop it and clean it all up as we were stuck in our rooms forming flood barriers out of towels and dressing gowns.

The hotel did an amazing job though, by lunch time the next day you wouldn't have known there had been that much of a flood.

Saying all this, it really wasn't all negatives - one day I expect I'll laugh at the lack of sleep! We had arrived for our anniversary and the hotel upgraded us to a better room, we had a beautiful view of the beach and the palm and we were given cake and fruit on arrival from the hotel too. The staff did everything they could to help us and remember small details to give you that personal feel to the hotel.

I would book this hotel again. It was in a lovely location and at the end of the busy JBR and was a nice quiet part of the beach resort, but close enough to walk to anywhere else you wanted to go to.

I would advise you if you are reading this and you are looking for a hotel with a lovely pool to sit around in the Dubai sunshine, then this is not the hotel for you. The pool and the pool area, although not open as of Sept 2010, were very small for the size of the hotel.

Reviewed September 20, 2010

This five-star-hotel in one of the hottest places in the world has no working pool as it is currently being refurbished. This is clearly stated on the hotel’s own website. Expedia via which I booked my stay mentions it only in the small print. If you need a pool, which is mandatory for cooling down with temperatures of sometimes more than 40 degrees celsius, this is not for you. The pool is literally a construction site. If you don't care about a pool the place is excellent. The staff is very friendly and forthcoming, the hotel lobby and rooms are beautiful and the location is perfect if you want to be near the beach.
Pool is supposed to be up and running in mid-October. Until then I can't recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank upmarketfool
Reviewed September 19, 2010

I can not say enough about Sofitel Jumeirah Beach. My husband works in Afghanistan and we met in Duba for vacation. He arrived much earlier than I and they let him check in early at no extra cost. They upgraded us to an ocean front view because I was disapointed that the pool was closed for renovation. I had the most amazing time at Sofitel. The bed was the most comfortable i have ever slept in. The service and staff were above and beyond any hotel I have ever stayed at. My flight back to the states did not leave until 10:30PM and they let me stay until 7:00PM at no extra charge. I can not think of anything negative to say about this wonderful place except the pool was closed but they more than made up for it with there impeccable staff and service. I cant wait to go back to Sofitel Jumeirah. The best vacation ever. Thanks Sofitel. ;-)

Reviewed September 13, 2010

Great hotel, staff were fantastically helpful, very high quality. The three niggles were:
1. There were no sports channels on the TV, and although this may have been to encourage you to go to the excellent Irish Bar (The Hub), to watch the games, the bar was only open after 6:00 pm, and most events take place in the afternoon.
2. The swimming pool was not finished, and this was not made clear at the time of booking. There is a beach very close by, but it is not private and therefore no sun loungers.
3. No client feedback form, therefore the review on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed July 30, 2010

After reading few commets about this hotel, we were not sure, but we dicided to give it a go. And we do not regret. the hotel is new built and I obviosly the bad comments come from the fact, that it was not oficcialy opened yet.

By the time we got there averything was superb. Really modern and luxurious. Just the risght way to be for a sofitel hotel. We got a room with a double-view, We could see on one side the Atlantis and the Palm and on the other the Yacht Port.

The location is just great, it is a the beach, it is in a very in-area in dubai. I the evening it is like a car parade (similar to the Ocean Drive in Miami, just in an arabic style:). Lots of restaurant and pubs nearby. It is also a short taxi-drive to the main attractions, like the Palm, Burj al Arab or the Burj Khalifa.

I would highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business