“Simply not the best or near the best ”
Review of Zuma

Zuma
Ranked #70 of 9,663 Restaurants in Dubai
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Simply not the best or near the best ”
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

On my first visit to Zuma Dubai I was a little shocked at the arrogance of the staff, shabby decor and dull. Being a regular in Zuma London I thought I would give it another go... So took some friends on a Thursday night walked away after 3 hours feeling I just through away 6000 aed...first impressions really do count...

Very popular place, though I can't see why, when you reach the level of popularity that Zuma has, you would think they would work even harder to stay there but this is defiantly a case of we think we are good so we do the clients a favour by letting them in... How very wrong and I hope in time clients will realise there are better places out there.

4 Thank Filipewd
Zuma_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Zuma, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Obviously it is extremely disappointing to hear that your perception of Zuma Dubai is in stark opposition to the majority of other reviews we receive.

We take all of our feedback very seriously and on the rare occasions we do receive negative comments we always seek to learn more about the experience and/or incidents encountered by the guest during their visit, in order to ascertain if there was any aspect on which could have improved upon or delivered more successfully. Other than your somewhat vague comments of dislike for the aesthetics of the venue and your perception that the staff were arrogant, it is a little hard to understand why your negative feelings towards our restaurant are so strong.

At Zuma we take very seriously our policy of total commitment towards customer satisfaction. Therefore would very much like you to contact us directly at Graham@zumarestaurant.ae and provide us with some more details on your visit so that we can maybe understand where, in your opinion, we failed to deliver on this occasion. We look forward to hearing from you again soon.

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
The Valley
“Horrible manager”
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I was there couple weeks ago with friends and family the service itself bad
But I was surprised when a manager came to my table and said you order too much food are you sure you're going to eat it usually when we go out we order a lot and we were 7 people we said yes don't worry about it but we order Kobe steak it was very salty and horrible so we told the waiter to change it he said okay the manager came after 1 minutes he said nothing wrong with it he didn't offer to change it or to give us something else he said you have to eat it I have to put it back on the table for you because that's the way the chef cook it.
I've been to so many restaurants in my life I never faced the same situation ever that's was too much and he give me the business card if I want to complain like he doesn't care our bill was almost 4500 UAD
And that's the respect we got.
Just be careful when you go do not order food just go to the bar they have very nice atmosphere

6 Thank DateAway1969
Zuma_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Zuma, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Obviously it’s always disappointing to hear of these rare occasions where our guests have not been entirely satisfied with their experience at Zuma, and we place great importance in digesting all constructive criticism we receive in order to further improve the success of our business.

With regards to the advice you received on the amount of food you had ordered, we feel it is always better to try to be proactive with assisting our guests in designing their menu, rather than encounter issues further into the meal. We have found in the past that this practice has been appreciated and further more signifies that at Zuma we feel it is more important for the guests to fully enjoy their experience, rather than feel misguided at the end of their meal with a bill that is higher than anticipated.

In relation to your comments on the Kobe steak item, this comes as a great surprise and disappointment to us, as all other feedback on this dish has been very positive indeed. We are the 1st restaurant in the world, outside of Japan, to obtain this grade of Kobe beef, so not only is it very rare but is also of the highest possible quality, and treated as such. As with all of our Wagyu steaks, we actually don’t season the meat with any salt before serving, instead choosing to serve salt on the side of the dish so that the guest may season to their own taste.

When situations arise such as these, it is our policy to return to the chef any dishes receiving complaints. The chef, along with the manager in charge, will then check and taste the dish to ensure that it meets our own high standards and has been served to a ‘Zuma quality level’. On the evening that you visited Zuma, the steaks that were sent back from your table were deemed by the chef and two other managers to fulfill all of the relative criteria and were served to you as intended.

While we appreciate the two orders of Kobe steak may not have been entirely to your own personal liking, you must also understand that these items are top of the range, premium menu items. In the same way that when ordering an expensive wine that is not ultimately to your palette, if the sommelier confirms that the wine is not corked or tainted in any way, it is very seldom removed from the bill as a matter of course.

However, even in light of all of the above, we at Zuma pride ourselves on total commitment to guest satisfaction, so would therefore very much like to hear from you again directly so that we can ensure you are well looked after on your next visit to Zuma. Please feel free to contact us at Graham@zumarestaurant.ae

We look forward to hearing from you and having to opportunity to host you at Zuma again in the future.

Guest Relations
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

With all the hype that surrounds this venue I must admit I was prepared for it to fall short of any expectation I may have had. I decided to go for a couple of drinks after work with a couple of girlfriends, just to say I'd been but what was meant to be an hour turned into three. We ended up bumping into some friends and had food as well, definitely recommend for dinner as long as you don't plan to sit there all night!

The Black cod was amazing (personally I preferred the one at Karma Kafe), one of my friends had the steak which I admit was fabulous and as a sushi lover I definitely recommend it.

The only point I would make is the service. It is a very busy restaurant and I understand the waiters were run off their feet, they were clearly all working hard, but we had to wait nearly 15 minutes to place the initial order and then again every time we wanted drinks there was no one around to ask. This would usually be fine but when you have a turn time it's frustrating when you can't get service and then everything is delayed.

Over all we had a great evening and would definitely pop back!

• Visited February 2014
Florence, Italy
“exceed the expectation”
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

very good food. dampligs with fish and black cod really unique and cooked perfectly. the interior design is outstanding and very original and the service is fast enough.
cool place with nice music.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words and positive comments. The Prawn & Black Cod Gyoza is one of our top sellers and a personal favourite with many of the staff here as well! We are glad you like the look of our venue, as will be our designer Noriyoshi Muramatsu, founder, designer and architect at Studio Glitt. We are on the cusp of opening Zuma Abu Dhabi and I’m very confident you will be equally impressed with the interior aesthetics of our latest addition to the brand. I will pass on your music comments to our resident DJ, Adrien who I can assure you will be very appreciative.

Swansea, United Kingdom
“Food was amazing , service a little slapdash !”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Great food in a very trendy , buzzing atmosphere . Very busy and it felt like we saw every waiter on that evening ! We ordered very nice wine which was poured extremely hap hazardly ! Our table was being turned so maybe not the place for a leisurely evening .

• Visited February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to learn that not all of your Zuma experience fulfilled your expectations. We are glad that you had the chance to meet and experience service from a variety of our waiters and hope that not all of your service observations were negative ones. It is definitely true that we are indeed very busy most nights of the week, however we still always aim to do our best to provide an enjoyable experience for all our guests. Wherever possible, we will always attempt to accommodate guests in dining in whichever manner and pace they desire.