“Japanese? The atmosphere suggests otherwise”
Review of Zuma

Zuma
Ranked #71 of 9,623 Restaurants in Dubai
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Canada
“Japanese? The atmosphere suggests otherwise”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I went there for dinner, and we sat indoors. The bar was packed with DIFC employees going for a drink. Hence, you need reservations to get in (especially during the weekend), so make sure you call in advance (at least 1-2 days.)
The atmosphere/ interior design was hip and modern (not typically what you would expect from Japanese cuisine). The service was average and relatively slow despite no shortage in staff.
The food quality was good/average - hence, did not justify the price tag - so technically you are paying for the venue (not food quality). Nevertheless, its worth going.

Visited October 2013

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Milan
“Credit card copy front and back?”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Have anyone been asked to provide a copy of their credit card front and back in order to make reservation at Zuma Dubai? I have had Friday brunches at the restaurant and made bookings, but this is the first time this restaurant asked to do this which I feel a bit strange.

Can anyone share experience when doing bookings at Zuma Dubai?

I had Friday brunch before at Zuma and only credit card numbers with security code were required. But this time, they insisted on copy of credit card front and back which is quite strange to me. We can pay expensive food at good restaurant but we just thought giving a blank cheque is a bit too much ...

• Visited March 2013
5 Thank modza81
Ajaz S, Manager at Zuma, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Modza81

Thank you for your comments. Please note that we do not make such policies, but are governed by the banks in the UAE and the credit card merchants when taking credit card confirmations.

We have only implemented this for the Christmas Brunch and New Years eve and for large party bookings.

This is to protect ourselves for festive period where space is limited and we need to make sure we do not have any last minute cancellations or no shows.

This also guarantees that we are able to sell the space for our customers who really want to enjoy our brunch experience and not for certain groups of people who book and just not show up.

We understand this this is frustrating, but we do need to protect ourselves as a business. Please note that this is not a "blank check" as we can only charge for a cancellation charge as advised in your booking confirmation, which you sign.

We hope that this brings some clarity. We will not be able to change such policies for the time being till the banks and the merchants are more flexible.

With kind regards

Zuma Management.
Doha, Al Jahra, Kuwait
“Poor in providing a good first impression.”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Been in Dubai for 2 months and visited most of the top restaurants in town. I kept on hearing "Zuma" as a highly recommended place to dine and lounge hence I went for a visit.

Ambiance: Great music, restaurant is divided into three floors; dining and lounge area. Sophisticated decor and classy crowd which I would normally prefer.

Food & Service:
Ordered one of their signature dishes which is the "gyuhire sumibiyaki karami sauce zuke"(spicy beef tenderloin with sesame, red chilli and sweet soy) plus a steamed rice. Noticed that is has a crab shell on top which the waiter didn't notice before serving it to me, rice didn't came so decided to give back the plate. Manager came to me and apologized along with a complimentary tempura plate. Waited for another 20 minutes to give the dish another chance, this time it came with the steamed rice. Thought I would finally enjoy my dinner when I found a strand of short hair on the rice itself. Unacceptable. Gave it back and called the Manager. Manager came to apologize again and provided me with a new steam rice- Okay, let me suggest something to the ZUMA team--- YOU DON'T OFFER THE SAME FOOD THE WAS SERVED UNHYGIENIC-ALLY. It was cooked and prepared on the same pot, kitchen by the same person, what are the chances that it will not be contaminated as well? Common sense.

Left the restaurant and went for another cheaper, cleaner alternative next door.

Am I coming back? Yes, for drinks but not to eat.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Kristal_Vivero
Ajaz S, Manager at Zuma, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Kristal_Vivero

Thank you for your comments. It is a shame that you had such a negative experience at zuma. We of course failed and can only apologize.

However, our management dealt with the situation and we did not present a bill as a gesture of good will, accepting our fault, which you, unfortunately did not mention in your review.

We hope that our gesture showed that we are serious about our costumer service and we hope that we will see you back at Zuma for the experience that we are renowned for.

Warm Regards

Zuma Management.
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pretty satisfying”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Nice japanese restaurant. VBery good service, but in my opinion, something can be improved, namely the food. Unfortunately, I can not say that it is really worth the price. Still, we enjoyed the evening for the good and fiensly service.

• Visited November 2013
Kuwait City, Kuwait
“Good food but not cheap”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Met a friend for drinks after work and sat at bar. Great ambiance and got busy very quickly. Service a bit slow and trying to grab their attention drew a few snooty stares from the ambivalent staff. Food was great and we ate a few snacks at the bar tables. A good evening but at a hefty price!!

• Visited November 2013