“Disappointing, not five star.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Arabian Court at One&Only Royal Mirage Dubai

Arabian Court at One&Only Royal Mirage Dubai
Ranked #8 of 544 Hotels in Dubai
Cheshire
“Disappointing, not five star.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2011

This was our first trip to Dubai and as were taking our 2 & 5 year old with us I did a lot of research on what hotel would suit us, Al Qasar was my original choice but as they couldn't confirm interconnecting rooms at the time of booking we went with Arabian Court as they could. I heard a lot of positive things about the One & Only Brand so was looking forward to a relaxing stay, this was not to be.

My first feelings of unease began a few weeks before when I e-mailed the hotel to enquire about babysitting etc, I had a document sent back to me telling me what I couldn't ask off the hotel and their babysitters, it all felt very cold and clinical and indicated to me that they found children to be something that had to be tolerated!! My two are still young so they find it hard to stay up every night for dinner so at least three times we like to put them to bed early and go out on our own, I was so unimpressed with the "rules" that we decided to take our nanny with us for five days (we there for 10) so we could go relax whilst out at night!

We arrived at about 2 am Dubai time and on first impressions I was happy, all light up, impressive entrance and some nice drinks offerred to refresh us, check in however took far too long , approx 30 mins, the guy who checked us in wanted to give us a tour???!! I politely declined as at this time it was nearing 3 am and my children were so tired!

We had two double interconnecting rooms and they were okay, nothing special, a bit dark and cramped. The next morning when we woke we up got a wonderful view of the beach from our windows, it is a nice view.

After an early lunch we headed to the pool which for us is what the holiday is about, very hard to get seats but bearing in mind it was 1pm, there wasn't any staff around and I approached the towel hut I asked and was told we could sit in the garden, not ideal with two kids who want to be in the pool!!! The pool area is great, it's graduated so suits every level of swimmer, the temperature of the water was fantastic BUT there is no drinks service at all around the pool, every time we wanted a drink we had to go into Eau Zone which is the restaurant beside the pool, not ideal when you are hot and sweaty.

Breakfast is not five star!!!! We would arrive down at about 10 then at 10.15 would have a member of staff come over to our table to hurry us up and make our last choices as they were closing, they actually gated it closed so you couldn't get in, just stupid. The service was also very slow, one morning I had to ask for tea five times!!!

The service generally was very slow throughout the hotel and I found staff to be bordering on rude when I would enquire where drinks etc where, one morning we ordered room service for breakfast and I ended up having an argument with them on the phone when I tried to explain my order was wrong!! On the plus side the food was really good everywhere we ate. I do chill out on holiday and am not fussed about slow service but when we've ordered a bottle of red wine with our meal and we have finished starters and are on main courses yes I do get a bit uptight!!

I used the spa and the hairdressers and they were excellent except one afternoon when I turned up to have my hair done and they denied I had an appointment (even though I showed them the e-mail confirming the booking!) to be fair they did try to recity it!

There were two further incidents that left us with a bad taste and in the end we left the hotel early and went to the Burj Al Arab, these both involved car bookings. We had tickets for the Burj Khalfia one evening and had to leave at 5, at 4 I rang down and asked them to book us a taxi for 5, when we got downstairs no taxi was booked!! They then told me they couldn't book taxis in advance (why didn't they explain this and we would have allowed extra time for this??!), they then offerred us a private taxi for the same cost which we accepted, it took 20 minutes to arrive, we missed our time slot for the Khalfia and only through me begging where we let in!!! When I told the conceirge no apology was forthcoming.

The final straw was when we booked a car to take us to a dinner cruise, the driver couldn't find where we were meant to be dropped off, we arranged to meet him at 11 pm for pick up at a certain point, he didn't turn up and we walked up and down the port for 15 minutes, no idea where we were!! We eventually got a taxi back to the hotel, at this point I was very angry and went straight to the conceirge who apologised but then a younger member of staff starting shouting at me saying I didn't have my mobile on so the driver couldn't phone me!! I was stunned to say the least, I have never been treated like this in any hotel never mind one which claims to be five star!

In any event it was enough and the next morning we packed up and left, NO ONE asked us on checkout why we were leaving early and if everything was okay.

This hotel might be able to tick the boxes that make it five star but its staff let if down dreadfully and for me this is what it is all about. We complained to our tour operator on return and we received a refund for one night but they refused to accept that they may have been in the wrong, I wouldn't stay here again and it would put me off staying at any more of The One & Only Hotels, there are better hotels in Dubai for the money we paid (over 10K) who will actually have staff that are pleasent and make your holiday a relaxing experience!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank IrishKaren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Grampian Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

Just returned from a 5 night stay at Arabian Court and had to post a review to confirm what many others have said. This place is really unbelievable and although we have stayed at TA top rated hotels in many other countries, nothing comes close to this for sheer unadulterated luxury.
The buildings, facilities and rooms just ooze class
The food was some of the best I have ever had and I like to think I'm a bit of a foodie. All restaurants we ate at were excellent which included the Rotisserie, Nina, Beach Grill and Eau Zone. We also ate at the new One & Only on the palm with the boat transfer, again absolutely stunning hotel and food. The Roof Top bar is also a must.

The staff, well what can I say, your wish was their command and can not praise them enough. The duty manager (sorry forgot his name) arranged birthday gifts for my partner (40th) which were not the usual cheap skate stuff, real quality with beautiful flowers, Spa treatment & products and complimentary cake with our evening meal. All free and given with sincerity and received with appreciation. Conceirge staff were extremely helpful and arranged several things for us without fuss or fanfare.

In our five days we managed to visit Diamond Park, Emirates Mall, Ski Dubia, Burg Khalifa, Fountains, Dubia Mall, Burg Al Arab, Atlantis, Gold & Spice Souk and still managed to fit in some quality R&R at the pool & beach. I must thank those who provided advice to my questions prior to travelling as everything was as they said.

This was truely an unforgettable experience and yes we will be returning to Dubia and most definately to the O&O and if this is the standard they set then will also be looking to some of their other properties.

Thanks for an amazing experience.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank scot2go
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2011

I just came back from an absolutely fantastic five days in Dubai staying at this hotel. Talk about relaxing!

The beach, sand, sun, gardens, etc. make this the perfect location for a getaway in Dubai. The staff were wonderful and catered to our every need.

Loved the beds, slept great! Really we were in dreamland all the time, though, even wihle awake! What a place to stay, quite and peaceful and wonderful surroundings.

As for Dubai, we checked out the Burj Khalifa which should be number one on your list! Absolutely stunning, just leaves you speechless, can't believe it's finally done. Loved the fountains, too.

Dubai is one of the best cities in the world, no doubt.

We just have to thank the staff at the Royal Mirage for the perfect vacation.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank mariolegumes
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2011

From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty. The rooms, the staff, the spa, the pools, the restaurants are all first class. I honestly can't fault the royal mirage. If I could go back a few times a year, I would do. Without a doubt, the nicest place I've ever stayed, and the best holiday I've ever had.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank loo84
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2011

This is the 4th time my wife and I have stayed at the Royal Mirage.The hotels within the complex are superb.The staff can't do enough for you without being overbearing. and it allows you to relax or do as much as you want.With the opening of the One & Only Palm they have built a new bar/ restaurant on the beach which all includes a Jetty to allow you to transfer out to the new resort.
We will return to this complex when we return to Dubai

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MTH07
Rawcliffe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2011

The staff here were excellent, nothing was too much trouble, from the moment we arrived they could'nt do enough for us.
The hotel grounds are lovely, and it's very quiet.
The resturant breakfast was very nice, with plenty of choice.
I would not recommend this hotel for families as it's very quiet and there were no children at all, but it's ideal for couples celebrating a specail occasion.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank TRAVELCOUNSELLOR_UK
Dover
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

Have just returned from second visit to Arabian Court having previously visited four years ago. My overiding impression is that costs have been cut but certainly not the prices.
Four yeqars ago the One and Only complex ran Humbers and Range Rovers between the three hotels, now it's a people carrier, the buffet meals cold starters had such delights as king prawns,crab and lobster salads and now its a few bits of tuna of other fish can you see the trend here.Got to say though the breakfast is excellent and the chefs produce lovely food with reduced quality of ingredients.
In a nutsheel the staff and management are top class the rooms still impressive and the housekeeping top class but value for money is going down hill quickly.
Tea and a coffee on the beach £ 12.00 , £ 5.00 for bottle of water with dinner and lunch at new palm One and Only £ 50.00 for two tuna salads , two cokes and a bottle of water at the jetty that would make an oil Sheik's eyes water. Also the service at Palm not a patch on Arabian Court.
To finish four years ago we were amazed by the sheer luxury the the Arabian Court, this time we felt standars had dropped due to obvious staff cutting and funds available to keep up the previous high standards.I repeat the staff were top class but the owners/shareholders of the Arabian Court need to review their own commitment to quality by increasing funds slightly or dropping the prices at this rate customer numbers will reduce as many people felt the same as us.
Thats twice to Dubai now and that's enough although would love to do afternoon tea at Burj Al Arab again now thats worth every penny and no cost cutting there.
Little comment on Emirate Airlines as well business class upgrade going out fantastic could not get coming back and was in Economy thought I'd got on Rynair for most of the journey, screen did not work nothing done despite requests and staff bordering on rude, most disapointing.
In closing must recomend minced camel and rice and no it does not give you the hump.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple