“A Rose by any other name still stinks”

Desert Rose Hotel Apartments
Ranked #123 of 306 Specialty Lodging in Dubai
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I picked the Desert Rose Hotel Apartments because I waited too long to make reservations at the place I wanted to stay, and this place was cheap. For what I got, it should have been much cheaper. It looks good walking in off the street (pool looks good too), but the BIG let-down is when the Bell Hop lets you into your room. The room has seen better days, but I bet it can’t remember when that was.

On the plus side:

On the minus side:
1) It was $98 per nite with tax
2) Moldy, chipped tile in the bathroom, and the ceiling was falling apart too
3) Worn kitchenette and furniture
4) Only 3 TV stations in English (although nice new flat screen)
5) Very hard bed
6) The list of kitchen items on the inside of a cabinet door said that there was a microwave, but my room didn’t have one
7) Plenty of hot water. I know that sounds like it should be a plus, but its deadly hot water! If you just turn on the hot water, it’s like a boiler exploded. Rusty, boiling water exploding from the tap. You could boil a lobster in the bathroom sink! Seriously, it’s a very dangerous situation, especially for small children. Heck, it scared me the first time!

So this place is OK if there isn’t anywhere else to stay (The park bench by Spinney’s was probably a little harder than the bed in my room).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 10, 2013

In general? The quality is average. However, location is very good. Within walking distance from the main centre of Dubai, Meena Bazar and Al Fahidi Street. A couple of minutes walk from metro station. Rooms are ok but bathrooms are not very clean. Service need to be improved. Internet. Does not work in all the rooms. I have been staying here since last almost five years, basically for good price for food location.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank David N
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is yards away from Al Fahidi metro station and is surrounded by small local shopping malls and supermarkets. Many of the supermarkets are open 24 hours and the food is tasty. There is also an African + Eastern shop at the back of Spinneys supermarket where you can buy alcohol but only if you have liquor licence.

The apartments are roomy in size but they need a serious make over. The website advertises a fully equipped kitchen which turned out to be a fridge that froze everything we put in there despite being on the lowest setting. This fridge changed a couple of days later (without us asking for it be changed) to a fridge that constantly dripped. When we opened the microwave the aroma lingered from the last unfortunate person who had used it - I think they had a curry! The cutlery consisted of 2 spoons, 1 fork, 1 cup and 2 knives yet their inventory said otherwise plus there was no tea towel in the kitchen. The washing machine made a horrendously frightful noise whenever we used it. In the bathroom the tiles were dirty and worn and the bath was chipped and felt like it would give way underneath me whenever I stepped in it. The woodwork around the door is chipping and peeling. They provided us with two large towels and no face towels. We constantly had to keep ringing reception to ask for adequate towels and toilet paper. We had to request an adaptor which we had to hide after use in case they took it back. Most of the time when we returned to our room after a day out our key card stopped working and we had to trek down to reception to ask them to re-activate it. The bedroom initially had the beds together even though we requested 2 separate beds but they did separate them. Also the phone in the bedroom did not work even though it looked brand new and there was a used item from the last tenant underneath it! On one occasion water came out from the floor of the wardrobe! When we called maintenance we were told we caused it even though we had just returned to the room from a day out. The window in the bedroom was also broken and could not shut properly. The sitting room was large but the TV had all Asian channels and not in English. Intermittently we would get BBC World news but that was hit and miss. The phone in the sitting room did work but the ring was very low (despite being on the highest setting) and you would miss it ringing because it was more like a humming noise than an actual ring. The gym was equip with the usual machines but out of the 3 treadmills, 1 cross trainer and 2 bikes - only 1 treadmill actually worked. The weights were not complete sets and there were a few missing. The boxing bag was on the floor beside the machine. None of the equipment had a sign on it saying it was out of order. Such a sign should have been on the closed door of the gym.

The man at the travel desk was helpful in getting us a taxi to go to certain events claiming that they were cheaper than other taxis. This turned out to be untrue which we found out on our last day. Also the taxi service the hotel provided us with gave us two separate drivers who had no idea where the locations were despite one of them being a popular place in Dubai.

I would steer clear of this hotel at all costs. It is truly like Fawlty Towers and even has a resident Manuel.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bsg1969
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is the 4th time that I stayed in this hotel in a span of 2 years. Excellent value for money. Location is also very good, within walking distance to 2 metro stations. There are 2 stores nearby. The tariff rate is Dhs 750 for studio apt ; but booking through net, you will get it at Dhs 330. The staff is good and breakfast is also ok. I will be definately staying here again in my next trip.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 487DHANESH487
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in early 2008, was on an official trip and stayed around 2 months in this hotel ... i found this hotel quite relaxing and comfortable. Staff was nice although except for room service staff they clean rooms daily.

location is very good right in the heart of Bur Dubai and you can access main markets easily. good eating places around with indian, pakistani and arabian restaurants so very good if you are on business or liesure trip.

Nice breakfast and a good gym facility with open pool and a jaccuzi.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mohiuddin G
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I find it hard to believe that my fellow travelers had such bad experience with the staff. We have been using desert rose for the last 3 years. May be we are getting well treated because most of the staff know us. However we have never had a bad experience with the staff. Even though some times the reception staff seem to be pushy and some times a bit arrogant they calm down when they recognize us. So may be we are being treated well because we are familiar to them.

The rooms are spacious,we usually book the two bedroom apartment. It has a separate kitchen and has most required things like knifes plates and so on. In-case any thing is missing the house keeping has always been quick to replace it. We have never had problems with towels or any thing like that as a call to the house keeping, at any time of the day, has till now been fruitful.
Last time I was there was last week.

The break fast is something we have always avoided but Spinneys has everything you can think of for breakfast.

The location is great, the metro is very near. Taxis are also easily available if you need one.

The problem with the shower curtain is true its not fixed on the wall but its some how balanced on the wall. I have made this complaint to the management also.

I have had a great experience staying with Desert Rose several times in the last 3 years. May be its because we are familiar to the staff.

Room Tip: The rooms in the fourth floor and up seems to be better than the ones in the lower floors.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Hotel situated in the centre, clean, satifactory break fast. Staff are very rude not helpful at all, we reached dubai early evening after a long flight with the children, the heat was immance, reaching hotel all was good put kids to sleep and ask reception for just 2 tea bags to tie us up till morning, their reply was will have to charge you for 2 tea bags, also dubai local call are free, the hotel wanted to charge us 1 dirham per local call. The bathroom were disgusting, shower curtain fell on my child while having shower, there were no enought towels, the flush in the toilet just came apart from cisterin, the house keeping did not come to clean our apartment for 24 hours. after several attemps to talk to manager finally in the afternoon reception phoned him and while talking to him he cut me off, no apology nothing. the evening reception staff on friday 31 aug 2012, was very rude egoistic, he rushed us to bring our bags down to leave for airport and they wanted to take us to airport as early as possible. this day we had no service in the apartment. even after paying full price. All this was not enough, at the airport the driver ask us to hurry up as he had nother pick up to do... we felt very badly treated, never before we have experienced this ever before...my friends however had a very painful experience too...

Room Tip: If you do not want to be treated badly choose another hotel apartmentam sure you will more happy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family