“Good for the price but bad location”

Holiday Inn Express Dubai Jumeirah
Ranked #245 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Good for the price but bad location”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Just returned from 6 days at this hotel. Wouldn't say disappointed because you get what you pay for, but I wish we'd researched the location a bit more thoroughly.
If Dubai has a less 'polished' side of town then this is it. One side of the road is a dock yard. The next is a large empty plot of sand.
The beach is not walking distance unless you're up for a workout. There are no decent restaurants nearby unless you're into greasy style cafes (with no aircon)
Luckily taxis are easy to come by. But one tip is NEVER use the hotel taxis. They are double the price of the metered cabs. Just walk out of the hotel and flag one down yourself (example is hotel taxi charged us 30 dirhams to jumeriah beach park. Metered cab was 14 for the same journey)

All in all I wouldn't stay here again. Nothing to do with the hotel itself its purely the location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LRD2007
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dubai Jumeirah, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear LRD2007,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I truly regret that you feel inconvenienced with our location. However, despite this I am happy to know that our rooms were comfortable enough for your needs. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

We hope to have another chance of hosting you should your travels bring you back to the area.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My sister and I went to Dubai for a five day stopover, whilst on her way to New York, and we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. I had no complaints whatsoever. The room was a good size, very clean and well serviced. The breakfast was a pleasure and the variety was immense. We loved the location of the hotel and when we stepped outside the front entrance, voila, taxis were there, 24/7, and at a great price. We managed to see so much during our short stay due to the helpfulness of the lovely staff and the taxi drivers. I highly recommend this hotel for a short or long stay.

Room Tip: We had a lovely room near the reception area.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank moompoop
Amityville, New York
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We were there for two days in April prior to our cruise to Egypt. We picked this hotel cause its location, close to the airport and to the cruise terminal. We got there late at night, our room was ready and to our surprise it was really clean and of a great size. The staff was extremely friendly and polite. Getting around was not an issue, taxis in Dubai are usually not expensive and very safe. We also had free wifi and breakfast was included in the price. For breakfast the selection was really good and fresh. Next time in Dubai will be definitely stay there again.

Muscat, Oman
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I arrived at this hotel for a weekend getaway from neighbouring Muscat primarily for some shopping of art related items. Being a priority club member I had points to be redeemed that weren’t eligible for Intercon or Crown Plaza, but were right for the Holiday Inn Express – I didn’t have a lot of expectations (and hadn’t read any review – very unlikely for me as I use Tripadvisor extensively), however it was a short trip, I know the town well, it was close to all points I wanted to visit.

I was arriving at an ungodly hour of 3:00 a.m. in the morning and had requested for an early morning check-in around 4:00 a.m.

My experience from the moment I walked in was outstanding. There was another person arguing at the reception (who was patiently being dealt with at 4:30 in the morning – obviously was intoxicated), the reception person saw me and stated “you must be Mr.Gailani, we’ve been expecting you …” with a huge smile. Made me sit at a couch (because of the scene being created by the other gentlemen), brought the paper-work over to me and had me checked-in in minutes, then security guard who also addressed me by name smiled and carried my bags to the hotel room.

More on the staff, because that’s what set this apart, everyone had genuine smiles… I walked by the restaurant and a waitress shouted out, “do join us for lunch today, it’s a lovely spread and you’ll have all of us for company”… I almost stopped for a second and then smiled at myself and thought, “who trains them?”

By evening there was a knock on my door and the security guard was on the door serving cookies as early evening delights. The next day at breakfast the smiles of the staff at the buffet were just an infectious. I couldn’t find the juice counter so when I was seated at my table I requested a waiter to ask where the juice was and the selection (it was apple, and orange only), I don’t like either and asked if there was any pineapple juice, he just winked and said let me do a magic trick…goes into the kitchen and comes back with a large pineapple juice (not on the buffet), and before my glass finished, he stated “looks like you need another one” , and refilled it (all this was for free).

The experience was so amazing that I simply decided that I will stay here for many more times. Because for a small budget accommodation…it made me feel like royalty!

Now, having raved about the staff, its time to give positives and negatives about the hotel:

The positives:
- Its at start of Jumerah (near union flag) so Dubai Mall and the Exhibition Halls are 10 minutes by cab.
- There is a free shuttle to the Jumeirah Beach Park
- The rooms have flat screen TVs, locker facilities etc

The Negatives:
- The front view of the hotel is terrible as it faces the dry docks so cranes and container junk yard is the last view of Dubai one wants to see
- The air conditioning dindn’t go below a certain degree – it wasn’t hot, and it cooled, but when in Dubai you need some extra cooling (I even asked their engineering to come and test the blast from the a/c to increase it… but I just later slept without a cover)
- The décor is basic of both the lobby and the room (but one gets what one pays for)

Overall this was truly an unexpected discovery – simply outstanding staff and amazing service, with basic room and other amenities, but if you’re in Dubai to be outdoors shopping or sightseeing and need a welcoming place to hit the sack and be treated with smiles … THIS IS YOUR HOTEL!

Room Tip: The front facing rooms have a terrible view of the dry docks, cranes and containers .. take the ones...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Gailani I
Jo-Ella M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dubai Jumeirah, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Ibrahim_Gailani
Many Thanks for your tripadvisor response; we really appreciate you taking the time out to write a review. Thank You.
You are 100% correct; we have most caring staff in Dubai. We have been fortunate to create a team of staff that enjoy working with the guests and in turn we have wonderful guest’s coming to stay with us.
It is responses such as yours that makes us appreciate the work and effort that we do. We thank you so much for your kind words.
We hope to see you again real soon
King regards
Saham
Reviewed May 3, 2013

good overall hotel. close to jumairah 1 block. quite. room is spacoius enough.

things to improve: internet is not quite fast, sometimes it goes off suddenly- dont distrub tag on the door needs a coloring , becasue there is no diffrence between go ahead clean and dont distrub. This may very easy confuse the cleaning crew and dont notice the tag.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ahmed A
Your review has valid feedback in which we will look into to see if we can improve these areas. Making sure the little things are perfect, really do ensure you have a great stay.
Wishing you all the best for 2013 and happy travels

King regards
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Everything about this hotel is just right. From check in to rooms to breakfast. Excellent value for money , you won't get many good hotels at this price in Dubai. The hotel is located right opposite to Dubai Dry docks and is only 15-20 mins taxi ride from most of the Dubai Attractions. Nearest metro station is Al-Jaffiya, taxi ride to metro station costs 10 Dirhams. Taxi ride to Dubai Mall costs 20 Dirhams, if you are travelling as group its better to take taxi.

Rooms are neat and clean. Staff is courteous. Hotel is newly built. Continental breakfast was very good. Lots of eateries shops within walking distance from hotel. Overall an excellent experience staying in this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose any room. Its all good.
1 Thank Rajat S
Jo-Ella M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dubai Jumeirah, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Rajat S
Safe travels in 2013 and we hope to see you again in the future.
Many Thanks & Kind Regards
Ludenscheid, Germany
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed the first time in Jumeirah, Dubai and really loved it! We would like to go back!
The service was very friendly and our room was very clean. The breakfast was good and it was enough for us. As well the hotel has a shuttle to the outlet mall which is in the outer region of Dubai and it was worth going to. We did not stay a lot in the hotel because we wanted to explore the city. It was easy to get a taxi from the hotel and we got everywhere very easily. Taxis are very cheap and without it we would not get anywhere. Deira and Bur Dubai is very nice and close too.The open beach in Jumeirah is very nice, big and close too.
At our next stay we will stay longer than 6 days because there is so much to do and see!! :)

2 Thank Vanessa S
Dear Vanessa S
Many Thanks for your positive comments on tripadvisor and coming to stay with us at HIEX Jumeirah, we enjoy having you stay with us. Dubai is a exciting city to be in and there is so much to see and do.
Safe travels in 2013 and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Many Thanks & Kind Regards