“Not flexible for changes even when we informed them 4 months in advance!!!!”

Grand Midwest Tower - Media City
Ranked #131 of 296 Specialty Lodging in Dubai
malaysia
“Not flexible for changes even when we informed them 4 months in advance!!!!”
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Felt dissapointed after spending nearly 45 mins on international calls to both booking.com and the hotel. We booked the hotel and not realised it's non-refundable for a November business trip and, we rang both side straight after we noticed that condition and hoping they would be helpful enough to let us change the departure date and also the card details but they refused to do so even it's a 4 month's later booking. very obvious that this incident has already ruined my plan and i am so not looking forward to my stay at this hotel!!

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank cocabutta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
london
Reviewed May 12, 2010

Hi,

We stayed at this hotel which was ok but very isolated and a taxi every occasion. I paid on the way in (strange) and also took my card No on the way out? didn't think much of it at the time. After recieving my bank statement and charging me twice i emailed them a few times but no answers as yet, so i'll give this place the thumbs down :-<

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Dubai hotels

uae
Reviewed March 27, 2010

Very poor guest amenities no welcome drink no smile no fruit basket & no water were provided I had to spend precious time asking for towels soap ...
Staff at the reception are not welcoming
facilities are just not what we expected

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank patricia135
Canary Wharf
Reviewed January 26, 2010

This was my first time staying at Hotel Apartments in Dubai and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I travelled with my extended family and the first impressions were that the apartments were clean, modern and extremely spacious. This was fantastic for the children to play and generally relax.

We stayed in a two bed-roomed, 3 bathroom apartment on the 17th Floor (room 1708). The apartment had all the facilities as listed although the DVD player was missing - I suspect we could have requested one but didn’t feel we needed it in the end. The balcony provided a pleasant retreat for a cigarette break and a refreshing breeze during the really hot climate. We didn’t eat at the hotel which has a 24hr restaurant on the first floor. The swimming pools were adequate; the water in the Jacuzzi was a bit tepid.

My main criticisms are: No face cloths provided in rooms. All drinking water in bottles is charged for. Not a single one is complimentary. Need more towels in bathroom, families with young children go through a lot of towels? No washing up liquid to do dishes. Housekeeping does not wash your dishes for you! The entrance guests’ use is through the back of the hotel and this is far from elaborate. Then there is the obvious criticism that almost all taxi drivers do not know where the hotel is located. One helpful tip is to take a picture of the hotel on your phone or camera - with the twin towers adjacent to it in shot, and show this to the taxi driver. Otherwise, like us, you may end up paying 100DHS for a hour journey that should have taken 20 minutes. Some wear and tear visible in apartment but nothing significant.

There is a 24hr supermarket in the BBC building opposite the hotel (you cant miss it!) use this to stock up on essentials. Within 7 minutes walk, past the twin towers, there is also a mini mall with a Starbucks and Gourmet sandwich shop. There is also a gourmet pizza place adjacent to the supermarket open till midnight.

Check-in was swift as was check -out. Staffs are helpful and will assist promptly. We had to request a bath plug (none of the baths appear to have them) and this was sent to our room within 5 minutes.

Lots of taxis available from outside the apartments. Try getting a taxi to the nearest metro station, and then use that. It’s significantly cheaper to use metro and presently goes directly to all the major shopping areas.

Caution to those visitors using debit cards, they are being accepted less and less. We had tremendous trouble using Maestro.

In summary, we had a pleasant stay and I’m more than likely to book again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank The_don786
Amsterdam
Reviewed January 17, 2010

Stayed here for one night when for business in Dubai. Rooms are very bright and spacious. No complaints from me.
Staff was very helpfull when I asked them to show me the other room types.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed October 26, 2009

I made a booking through Expedia at this hotel and was pleasantly surprised to see that free breakfast and internet was included in the pretty reasonable rate.
However, when I went to check in, I was told that breakfast was not included. Because I had made the booking on the road, I'd not printed my confirmation email. They actually made me go to my laptop, save a PDF version of the confirmation on to a memory stick to give to them. Then they conceded that yes, it was included.
THEN they informed me that "free wi-fi" actually meant one hour free per day. Normally I would not bother to argue, but I didn't have much else on that day so I decided to make it my objective to get my promised free wi-fi. I argued with the hotel manager for a good 30 minutes about it - I've never come across someone so stubborn!
I spoke to Expedia who were very helpful, (and agreed with me BTW) but they were not able to get in touch with the hotel as they were conveniently not answering their phones. In the end, my wi-fi stayed mysteriously connected.
Anyway, I really enjoyed my stay, it was a great room, clean, quiet and very good value (even WITHOUT the free stuff!) The customer service though in general was absolutely atrocious. (eg. they don't supply water in the gym "because the guests drink it all!") Actually I would stay there again, (and probably will for the right rate), but if you are considering it, make sure you have everything printed in black and white! Oh, and don't bother emailing them as, needless to say, they don't check emails.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business