“For sure not your first option” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Midwest Tower - Media City

Grand Midwest Tower - Media City
Ranked #118 of 279 Specialty Lodging in Dubai
Jordan
“For sure not your first option”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed there for more than 5 days, reservation been done by my company up front for 5 days otherwise I would change it at the moment I entered the hotel. The receptionest enter with a debate with me at 3:30 AM regarding my reservation although it been booked and confirmed by my company and he insist to blook around 1500 Dirham or more to make sure about my reservation and it will be paid by my company. Although I stayed in a very big room suitable for family but I don't like it bad smell every where. The duvet and blanket not clean, I took my breakfast only one time (NOT RECOMMENDED) terrible and very poor, I don't recommend this hotel at all. You have many other options in this area and near by areas.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank roubey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Rhondda, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights in December have to say I was optamistic after reading some of the reviews about this place but wow was I impressed! As regular visitors to Dubai I have quite high expectations and all I can say is the value for money on this hotel is FANTASTIC!!!
There was some slight mix up with the rooms as me and my mom were given a double bed instead of 2 twins but this was quickly resolved and we were given a different room with twin beds, which was even nicer than the first room :-)
We had a land view even though I did request a palm view on the opposite side but to be honest I really enjoyed looking out at the hussle and bussle of Dubai and seeing the skyscrapers light up in the night skies, the noise of the traffic did not effect us in any way.
The room was so good words cannot even describe it was like having your very own little appartment with a kitchen complete with cooker and even a washing machine - the room was so fresh and clean upon arrival and every single day it was sparkling - everyone of the staff here went out their way to be as helpful as possible from reception, to the bell boy, to the security located on the enterance at the back.
Yes you do have to use the back enterance but in no way should this ever put you off - as it was christmas there was a massive christmas tree in the lobby which I loved so much - there is no lack of swimming pools here either everything was presented so well and clean throughout the hotel. There is even a gym and a beauty parlour on site that does loads of different things - worth a try if you dont fancy going anywhere.
We had breakfast included it was ok something for everyone but you always got your kitchen if you want to make your own.
The location of this hotel made it perfect to get to everywhere and anywhere, choice of using the metro or getting a taxi or even taking short walks if you know your way around. We normally use a 5* hotel situated on jumeria beach but this year we are coming back to grand midwest and this time for a 3 week stay. Next time I will be asking again for a view over looking the palm would be nice to have that amazing view for our 3 week stay with you.
We cannot wait to stay with you and see all your friendly faces again, a massive thank you and see you in Oct 2013 <3

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was a business booking by my husband's employer, so we didnt really have a choice. What I mean is, the hotel made doubly sure we DIDN"T have a chioce by charging us up-front for a full 1months stay plus some 1000 dhs extra for incidentals!! Complaints about this were met curtly by front office staff, and the manager we spoke to was even worse. The entire staff of this hotel need some basic training in customer service, and how to deal with guests, maybe take trips to other hotels in other countries and see for themselves.

The breakfast buffet was a joke, with a few dred up bits of cold meats and cheese. Wide variety of plastic bread "props" but just sliced bread to actually eat! Badly over-cooked eggs done on request. One might think that they would employ a people who actually knew how to cook to do this. We avoided all the restaurants and food at the hotel after the first day. Fortunately there are a few small supermarkets nearby, and good eateries a train station or two away, so we didnt starve!

The apartments are large and spacious. The washer fitting of our bathroom was broken, and was replaced on our second day. This indicates that they do not know of any breakages and that no routine maintenence is done. The safe in the room was faulty and had to be adjusted a total of 4 times during our stay, and once to replace the batteries on the key-pad! Again this indicates no routine maintenance. House keeping service twice a week was satisfactory.

The location is the only thing that is good about this hotel, its walking distance to the metro station and taxis are easy to get.

Do not stay here if you can help it. We certainly would have gone to a better hotel if they hadnt taken a months charge from us upfront!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Bishopsgambit72
Bournemouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Reception & door staff good. Rooms okay size and clean. Great location to get around whether walking to the local shops & beach or getting metro to the malls. When we stayed, the pool area was being revamped so could not really use it (2-3rd wk in oct) but good size pool and was looking good when we left. Did not eat in the restaurant. Would happily return when prices are reasonable as they rocketed due to the Gtex Convention which was quite overpriced for what one received at that time.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the opposite side to the pool/bar area as the music is way too loud, even the tv a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is a great apartment hotel complex.

12 days stay in total partly due to locality within the office area. It was everything you need and more.

The metro that takes you to Dubai Mall, Emirates Mall, Dubai Marina is just in front of the hotel. Surrounding the hotel lacks facilities so you tend to feel like you are in the middle of nowhere, but the Metro helps as Emirates Mall is only 3 stations away.

The internet should be improved. You can only log in one machine. In this era where people carry smartphones and laptops for work, having only allowed to log in one device is ridiculous. Luckily I travelled alone, I could not imagine travelling with my wife and son who both have devices and we have to fight for internet bandwidth connection.

A connection issue on a Sunday drove me mad when they had to take 3 hours to resolve it as the hotel technician has not yet arrived to work. Password expired on the 6th day of my stay though they know I am there for another 7 days. They would not give me another password until the technician arrived. When the technician came 3 hours later, 5 mins was all it took and he issued me a new password. By that time, I have already missed by online Web Conferencing session. Lacks the ability to make a decision.

Breakfast was sufficient though not fantastic. The main dishes tend to be very local / indian flavouring with curries as the main ingredient.

Office was within walking distance and room wise, was clean and sufficient. Air-conditioning tends to be on the cold side but at 45 degree celsius heat outside, I am not complaining.

Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ShahrilHarman
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This hotel is has potential to be much better.
Its location is OK (right next to a Metro station) and it looks good from the outside.
The entrance of the hotel isn't a good first impression. Its like entering through the back door. They could make it so much better.

However, the rooms are of good size, but if you are like me and like a spacious bathroom, you will not find it here. There was one complimentary bottle of water and some fruits for the entire stay of 8 nights ! I just don't get that.
I have to disagree with some people's negative opinion of the staff, I found them to be quite friendly, especially Ram, the bellboy (or man I should say), who was always there in the morning with a smile on his face greeting you at reception.

Breakfast selection is OK, Dinner choice is limited, but there are so many other places a short ride/drive away that you can eat at. The Gym and Pool are standard for this area. But the biggest gripe for me was the internet access, they just seem to have so many problems with charging hourly, daily or monthly, it would just make more sense if they just offered a simpler solution.

Also the atmosphere in the hotel could be better, it just doesn't have the hustle and bustle like other hotels.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor to avoid the noise of Sheikh Zayed Road
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mr_bob_x
Qatar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The only complaint I had about this hotel is the food quality and the cleanliness of the restuarant. i stayed 4 days in this hotel and everytime I went down for breakfast it felt like the insects and flies had just as much right to join me at my table. Nice quiet location at night since it s business district. I would stay in this hotel again but would only eat out.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo