“Nice location, not a hotel”

Royal Club Palm Jumeirah
Ranked #114 of 301 Specialty Lodging in Dubai
Reviewed May 6, 2011

With three young children I have always found it hard to find a hotel in Dubai, of a reasonable price, to cater for a family of 5. Royal Club is not a hotel, it is like renting an apartment in a very nice location - The Palm. The only hotel service you will get is the apartment will be cleaned every day.

Firstly I have to point out we changed our room to a 1 bedroom apartment with a sofa bed as we found out that the 2 bedroom apartments are located on the other side of a main highway! So our building was located right near the beach and pool. The beach is nice (if a bit flat) - you get a nice view of the Burj al-Arab hotel in the distance and the water is bright blue. The pool is too cold! You do get used to it but it takes some getting used to. The kids still loved it. There is a also a play area near to the pool.

What is also good is there are not many tourists in this location. Most people who were on the beach or pool seemed to be residents and therefore it was very quiet and relaxing - same so in the evenings.

The check-in for the hotel is based in one apartment building which was across the road where the 2 bedroom rooms are located. Its a very basic reception - they didn't even check me out as only the porter was sitting in the office! They also do not have wireless internet as stated in the ad. They only have a wireless USB device which they can provide at 50 dirhams a day with a 1000 dirhams deposit and it only works with Windows XP/Vista. Therefore my Ipad was useless for the entire vacation!

Taxi's are easily caught from the area and there is gym and spa in the building which is convenient. There is also a mini-mart but is quite expensive.

The rooms were clean and modestly decorated. The room had cable with a good selection of english movies to watch and the odd other english channel. The cartoon channel seemed to start in English in the mornings and change to Arabic in the afternoon. The balcony we had overlooked the beach and pool so was fantastic! The kitchen was nicely fitted with an electric cooker, microwave, fridge freezer, dishwasher and even a food mixer.

As stated room service was once a day but they seemed to get upset if you didn't want them to come in when we still in the room. I realised later is because they service different rooms in different buildings.

Overall it was a pleasant stay and I would come back again, but don't expect a hotel service.

For more info on Dubai and my vacation visit http://mind-fried.com

Room Tip: For a room near the beach change to 1 bedroom apt
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank senor_sosa
There are newer reviews for Royal Club Palm Jumeirah

Reviewed January 25, 2011

Like a few others, I was a bit hesitant about staying here. But, it turned our to be a very good experience and in the long run, saved some money.

So, renting what is essentially a condo was a bit of a departure from what you might otherwise do for a trip half way around the world. After arriving at 1:30am, I was greeted by a very engaging and personable doorman, who promptly escored me to the reception office. The paperwork was handled in a professional and prompt manner. The doorman helped me with my lugguage to the room that was located 4 buildings away (3 minute walk). he helped me get settled in and was aware enough that some sleep was needed.

It was very nice to have a washer/dryer in the room, along with a full kitchen. While it wasn't that well equipped, it was sufficient enough to cook breakfast, make a sandwich for lunch or make a simple dinner. End result, saved some money by not having to go our for every meal as you might in a hotel.

Our building was located accross the street from the beach. Again, a 2 minute walk. Beach was clean, there are two small restaurants/bars along the beach (Cabanas and Bidi Bondi). Both were reasonably priced and their staff were very friendly. Yes it would be nice if there were more beach chairs and if there was a place to get beach towels, so there is some room for improvement here.

If you approach staying here as something akin to renting a beach house for vacation, and realize you need to do some grocery shopping (small place accross the street or Carrefour at Mall of the Emirates), and walking a couple of yards to the beach, and missing a few amenities, this a very nice place to stay.Cabs are readily available to take you to any of the malls or other tourist sights, at a very reasonable cost.

Maid service was proveded everyday, bathrooms were always restocked with soap, shampoo and fresh towels, the entire suite was spotless everyday.

Overall a very good value and worth a serious look if you are staying dubai for a week or more.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank notslummingit
Reviewed October 2, 2010

We were a couple with one infant and my mom and dad. It was a great family week spent on family friendly outdoor swimming pools and the beach. Our apartment was overlooking the skyscrapers on dubai marina. My parents had a great time in the spa and jim in the vicinity. The down side was that there weren't enough towels for the five of us and they were changed once every two days due to eco-friendly policy of the management or so we were told.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank Glad327
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I got very concerned after I booked this resort for a family reunion and then read all the negative reviews about it online.
Just to find out that none of those negative reviews were valid. We all had wonderful time there and everything was picture perfect. I recommend this resort to anyone who wants to travel to Dubai. The management, the service, and the staff were excellent. I cannot wait to stay in that resort next time I am in Dubai.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank RosaOttawa
Reviewed February 12, 2010

we have spent senen great days in this resort (with my husband and two kids) every thing you might think ot is available in the unit , swimming pool is just cross the road its not bad after all i do admier a clean stuff and the welcoming of the management .

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ABUNNEES
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed October 20, 2009

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I read the negative reviews after my wife booked us at the Royal Palm. I cannot understand where these individuals came up with their reviews. To start off with, the room we were assigned was perfect, from our patio we had a great picture perfect view of the Burj Al Arab. The pool was right between bled 5 & 6 and it had a restaurant, grocery store, small swim suite shop, gym and drug store that delivered to your room. The pool had an outside bar and the beach was a small walk from the pool. The staff were great, my wife and I will stay at another palm property in the future and when we go back to Dubai, we will book again at the Royal Palm. The only downside to the resort is you need to take a taxi to get around but they are readily available at all hours. The longest we waited for a cab was about 3 to 5 minutes.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple