“A Good Hotel”

Ranked #269 of 540 Hotels in Dubai
Woking, United Kingdom
“A Good Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at the Novotel Deira City Centre Hotel towards the end of February 2013 for 3 nights.

The hotel is well positioned right opposite the Deira Centre Mall which is massive, you can get lost in that place! It’s also a 2 minute walk from the nearest metro station.

Although I stayed for leisure purposes, this hotel is aimed more for business trips. Nevertheless, I felt comfortable throughout my stay.
It is very clean, comfortable and has all the amenities that you need including a gym.

The price of the room includes breakfast that is served as a buffet. The food is really good and includes local and international dishes. You can also get made to order omelettes and eggs. There is a wide range of cereals, yoghurts and fruits.
There is a bistro restaurant in the hotel although I never used it. Being so close to the mall, I just wandered over there for dinner as there is plenty to choose from.
The hotel also operates a 24 hour room service which was handy for me when I arrived quite late on a Thursday evening and didn’t fancy going out looking for food. I can recommend the Egyptian mezze platter.

The hotel runs a free shuttle bus every day at 9.30 and 11am to Jumeirah Beach that takes about half an hour which is a nice touch. You can choose to return at either 3 or 5pm.

It also has free wifi in the reception area which is very useful. This free wifi can also be accessed in the bar.
The bar has a great atmosphere. They serve a wide range or drinks and the staff are really friendly and welcoming. They even remembered what I wanted to drink.

The hotel has a pool too, but randomly this is situated on the first floor so it is rather shady making the pool rather cold. You can find a few sunny spots up there though and I spent a few hours chilling there during my stay soaking up some rays.

The staff are helpful but perhaps could be a little more approachable. Sometimes I felt like I was bothering the reception staff when I was making enquiries. Staff in other areas were good though and always had a smile for you.

One thing that I didn’t like was the extortionate cost for a room extension on my last day.
My flight was at 3am so I wanted to keep my room until early evening so that I could shower after being out all day, but to keep the room until 6pm it was half a night’s room rate and until 8pm a whole extra night’s room rate.

All in all, I had a great stay here and would return. I felt it was good value and suited my needs for a city break perfectly.

If you have any questions about this hotel or the surrounding area, please feel free to contact me, I’m happy to help.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Evo1979
HotelsDirector, Manager at Novotel Dubai Deira City Centre, responded to this review, March 12, 2013

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, especially concerning the quality of the cleanness in general, public area and room & the quality of the food during the breakfast; so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

I would like you to rest assure that I am personally taking your remarks very seriously concerning the reception staff attitude and that urgent corrective measures will be taken.

Email: H6481-GM@accor.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have just returned from Dubai staying at the brilliant Novotel Deira hotel and had to write them one of my best reviews to date. I think i managed to use everyone of their facilities on my visit.
So - great value for money, room excellent (bed very comfy, separate bath and shower and free wi fi) staff helpful and friendly. Brilliant swimming pool, gym and the Vertigo bar downstairs really welcoming and live great entertainment each night. Conference facilities very first class and very good value for Dubai.Restaurant very good value and quality of food excellent.
The hotel is right in the middle of Deira so convenient for shopping and getting around Dubai. Also 10 minutes from the airport.
Rated as a 4 star hotel and it really is this quality. The good thing is the prices are 2-3 star so i would rate this hotel as an amazing bargain.
Huge thanks to all the staff and manager for a job well done, you should be very proud of this hotel and yourselves.
Rare a hotel manages to be great for business trip or a vacation. The Novotel manages both of these!
I stay in Dubai frequently and will be returning to this hotel every time in future.

Room Tip: All rooms great, ask for one overlooking pool for a nice view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve W
HotelsDirector, Manager at Novotel Dubai Deira City Centre, responded to this review, March 9, 2013

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team; so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

Thanks again,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

A great hotel, very clean, great bathrooms, good for business travelers. Really good breakfast. Decent gym. I was here for work meetings, so it was fine. Otherwise, probably wouldn't recommend the location - view of a gigantic, ugly shopping mall, and not a tree in sight. But then, it is Dubai :)

• Stayed October 2012

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, especially concerning the quality of the cleanness in general and the good quality of the breakfast services; so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Check-in at 4 am after a delayed flight was a breeze, the man at the front desk was excellent so thank you very much.

Decent place, good cleanliness, excellent proximity to Deira City Centre mall and Dubai Metro (only across the street). It's sort of a small-ish business hotel with a decent pool and a small gym.

The gym weights don't really go heavy enough... 30 lbs are okay but could have gone up higher.

Breakfast was okay, perhaps more changes of variety would be nice.

The internet, oh the internet...that was horrible. It's 2013 and most hotels, especially business, now allow in-room complimentary wired or wireless internet access. Yes wired internet access is available indeed but why is there a charge? This meant that the small lobby got pretty busy as people scavenged for space for space. Please change this policy, it's definitely not that nice. The computers were a decent touch but lack of maintenance and with a lot of people unfamiliar with how to handle an iMac, easily became a mess so perhaps the introduction of a fixed system to them may help?

Also, most hotels I have been at in the past 3-4 years have now accepted that people now bring food into their rooms, some leave the minibar empty as a policy and you may request it to be stacked upon check-in (I'm talking about a 5* luxury hotel here not anything round the corner) as they notify you as most people now avoid that. Some even have gone as far as placing microwaves in the rooms. When I came down to the lobby to request to microwave something, they didn't allow it as outside food is not allowed. Again, update your policies, please.

The room is pretty decent, however the bed was pretty small and so proved uncomfortable. Also the double doors in the bathroom entry were an issue as they leave a space in the middle when shut so kill off the whole privacy factor required...very uncomfortable. I suggest placing some form of rubber in the middle if you please. The room also lacks a form of sound input. In some hotels this was solved by placing an alarm clock/radio with an AUX cable on a bedside table, in others, the TVs were capable of having such input. This hotel's TV is capable of HDMI so you can input it, just there is no possibility to change the TV input to actually play it, even though there is a speaker in the room other than the TV speaker which would have proved to make a decent sound system for music playback.

Generally it was a decent stay, it's just some edges need rounding and adjustments...quite a few.

Would I come back? Probably, if need be. But next time I'm in Dubai I don't think it'll be business so why stay here when you can stay at a beachfront resort unless the price cuts it?

Room Tip: Stay away from the mosque side if you don't wish to be waken up at 5 am for early morning prayer...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HotelsDirector, Manager at Novotel Dubai Deira City Centre, responded to this review, March 2, 2013

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, especially concerning the good quality of the hotel cleanness; so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies, concerning the quality of internet services.

I would like you to rest assure that I am personally taking your remarks very seriously.

Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at Novotel Deira City Centre while visiting to attend a conference in Dubai. It was pre-booked for us and we were not sure what to expect. The location was very good, being close to the airport and right opposite the city centre mall. All forms of transport, taxis and metro could be managed easily and in a short time. The rooms were clean and the beds were a good comfortable sleep after a tiring day of workshops at the office. The breakfast had a variety of fresh fruits and juices. The staff was courteous and polite.
The television channel options were limited and could be improved. We were alittle surprised that at check-in they wanted us to leave a cash deposit as security. However after some argument they agreed to block the amount on our credit cards.
All in all a good alternative to other high end hotel chains.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, especially concerning the quality of the cleanness in general and the costumer's services; so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

This Hotel falls behind the Novotel Standard Hotel. The lobby is very bare and empty, not bright enough and does not blend to a Novotel Standard. Service is not as expected of the standards. Always had problem with the key card. Rooms are clean and tidy. No WiFi in the room, you need to go to Lobby for WiFi. And the speed is very dissapointing. Wifi in the room has become a basic needs of a Hotel, not having it, is like not having a bed in the room.

Check in and check out take too long. The bar at the lobby is little dissapointing in terms of service as we need to look for staff to get service even to ask for a beer. Overall, I just stayed, as I did not feel as I am in a Accor Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank muthu6820
HotelsDirector, Manager at Novotel Dubai Deira City Centre, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comment.

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies, concerning the quality of services during the check in - check out and the services at the bar.

I would like you to rest assure that I am personally taking your remarks very seriously and that urgent corrective measures will be taken.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

we arrived at ten past midnight only to be told our booking was for a single person, Noting that the room rate was the same for one person as it was for two people, I found it quite difficult to get it through the desk clerks head that an obvious error had been made and my wife and I would like to go to bed. This was achieved but only after I promised to pay separately for breakfast as she was not included. The final out come was that I was required to pay an additional 100 dirams per night for my wife to stay in the same room as me. When I did check out I was asked to pay for the breakfasts as well, however finally after another fifteen minutes debating the reasonining for the additional charge which them paid for the breakfasts the account was rounded down to the amount I assumed would be appropriate. PITY REALLY as it was a pleasant hotel, business men and women were the majority of the guests and the decor was excellent.

Room Tip: most rooms viewed either north or south so the views are rather uninspiring.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kewvet
HotelsDirector, Manager at Novotel Dubai Deira City Centre, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comment regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, especially concerning the quality of customers services at the reception.

Allow me to express my sincerest apologies, concerning your check in.