“Booking and poor customer service issues...average stay”

Novotel Dubai Deira City Centre
Ranked #458 of 551 Hotels in Dubai
New York City, New York
“Booking and poor customer service issues...average stay”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I had a late night arrival at the Dubai airport, so I decided to stay at a hotel close to the airport for 1 night only before transferring to Sofitel hotel the next day. After a quick, cheap taxi ride, I arrived at the Novotel hotel Deira Center around 2:30AM. I previously made the booking via priceline.com, and sent the hotel the confirmation weeks before checking in including my request for a non-smoking room. However, upon checkin, the reception stated that there were only smoking rooms available. After disputing with them about my requested room type, they "miraculously" found a non-smoking room. Just when I thought that I was ready to check in, the hotel reception said that I did not pay for the hotel room in advance. I was so angry and tired at the same time. I had to pull out my laptop to show them proof that priceline already charged me for this room, my bank statement where the money came out of my checking account, and my prior e-mail to the hotel that showed my confirmation. It turned out that the hotel forgot to charge priceline's credit card for my room. To make matters worse, they wanted me to sign my name on priceline's credit card receipt. I insisted that I would not do such a thing because it is not my credit card. I never had to do this at any other hotel whenever I used priceline, and I was not about to do it there. The reception stated that their bank requires a signature, but I told him that I still was not about to sign my name on a credit card that is not mine unless priceline gave me permission to do so. The hotel staff member relented, and I was finally able to check into my room. The room was average with free wifi, but the bed was really hard. If I was not already so tired from the long flight, I probably would not have been able to sleep on it. The best thing about the hotel is the location, which is right across from the Deira Mall, the Carrefour supermarket, and about a 5 minute walk to the Deira train station. The next time I come back to Dubai, I will stay in another airport hotel instead.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
HotelsDirector, Manager at Novotel Dubai Deira City Centre, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comment.

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies, concerning the quality of services during your check in.

I would like you to rest assure that I am personally taking your remarks very seriously and that urgent corrective measures will be taken.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Hotels Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
perth
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

It should be a 3 star hotel, but for no given reason I reckon star ratings in Dubai are overrated.

Stayed 2 nights with wife and two young children. Really close to airport, taxis are cheap and 5 dollars a ride is a very welcoming price. In front of a shopping centre, which makes your life easier regarding food, foreign exchange and the metro station across from it.

Therefore...
Good: location, price, room size
Bad: sofa bed for two is a glorified single size, if older kids, don't try it.
Staff was very friendly except from when a late chack out was requested... Felt like I was trying to scam them, eyebrows raised and request ignored by manager on duty.

It's a Novotel, hence it's a safe pick... Just like entering a Mc Donalds in India...you know what you get with no risk whatsoever.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rkiper
HotelsDirector, Manager at Novotel Dubai Deira City Centre, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, especially concerning the quality of the customers services; so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies, concerning your experience during the check out.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The hotel is in a nice area. Close enough to the airport and in the "old" part of town - if one can say that about Dubai - and the Creek where a bit od middle oriental feel can be experienced.

Room are clean, the hotel is new and well kept. Staff professional. Breakfast average no much choise.

I think all and all the rooms are overprized but maybe that's is Dubai.

Room Tip: High floors.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, regarding the cleaness of the room and the good quality of the customers services so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

Thanks

We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel Deira City Centre.

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very close to the airport approximately 5-10 minutes drive. It cost me 30 dirhams airport to hotel and 11 dirhams hotel to airport by taxi, though I didn't understand why return trip was lower.

I had travelled with my wife, 3yr and 1 yr old sons. The room was clean, but the size was rather small, more suited for a business traveller. It had a sofa bed and the hotel provided us with a baby cot and a stroller at no extra charge. I highly recommend a room with city view.

The hotel is literally two minutes walk from City Centre Mall and about 5 minutes from the Dubai Metro, which was very convenient for us.

The breakfast was good, but they could do with more waiting staff during busy periods.

I highly recommend this hotel for it's convenient location, great views, friendly staff and clean rooms. They could improve on the breakfast service and avail wi-fi in the rooms.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kiplagat
HotelsDirector, Manager at Novotel Dubai Deira City Centre, responded to this review, December 30, 2012

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team, in particular with the HK about the cleanness; so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

Brugg, Switzerland
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I'm still in the bar writing this review. I ordered a half liter glass of Murphy's beer. It came as 0.25L glass. The waiter was insisting I ordered half a pint, which also was not half a pint what she gave me. After some discussion, she agreed to replace the order with what I wanted in the first place.

Bottomline, be very clear with what you order, even point it out on the menu, to be sure you get what you want.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank SiegfriedQ
Thank you for taking the time to share your comment.

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies, concerning the services at the bar.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Very convenient hotel, good location, across the street from the City Center mall, walking distance from the metro station, just 2-3 stops by metro from the airport. Also very close by taxi.

Clean rooms and bathrooms, free wifi only in lobby

Shares pool and gym with neighbouring ibis property

Room Tip: If you get a pool facing room, it also faces the entire ibis property with people staring back at yo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Canishq
Oreste Geronimo T, Manager at Novotel Dubai Deira City Centre, responded to this review, December 22, 2012

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay.

I have shared your comments with the team; so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

Thanks

We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel Deira City Centre.