“UPDATE: "great staff, hotel so so" is close to truth”
Review of Media Rotana

Media Rotana
Ranked #147 of 554 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I reviewed this hotel favourably several years ago. I would not have opted to UPDATE my review had it not been for benefit of the TA community on which I rely a lot. It is time to move on.

The property is now old by Dubai standards, appears neglected and misses on essential services that one would expect from a property of such rated caliber. The hallway carpets, guest rooms, elevators, fitness center, pool area are all showing signs of excessive age. Ongoing repairs and upgrades will potentially inconvenience your stay or strain some of the senses.

I recommend that you ask about construction/ renovation in the hotel and in adjacent area before you finalize your booking to ensure that you are up to date on how they may impact your stay. Dubai has many many choices in the immediate area.

PS: The general staff is among the best I have come across.

Room Tip: Ask about construction and renovation on property before you book.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank worldtrvaler_66_2010
MediaRotanaDubai, General Manager at Media Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback posted on the TripAdvisor.

It was indeed true that the hotel is currently doing maintenance repairs and upgrades for the hotel facilities which is very necessary to provide better facilities to our valued guests. However, I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this have caused.

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you once again in the coming days to enjoy our fully renovated facilities of Media Rotana Hotel.

There are newer reviews for Media Rotana

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Service was excellent, the staff was friendly and welcoming but few issues with the hotel not too pleased with… We were excited when we were told we would be upgraded to a nicer room than what we booked and was able to check in early, which was a plus since we arrived at the hotel at 10am. The room was nice and spacious, but we had some serious problems with the shower. We had to call maintenance since the water would not go down drain, thought it was a clogged drain but come to find out it was how the bathroom was made, it did not have a slope for the water to travel down so water stayed in shower until they came to clean the room and used a squeegee to push it to the drain. Not fun to take a shower with dirty water in the bottom of the shower!!! Another disappointment, internet was not free. How do all the malls in Dubai have free wifi internet but the hotel charges you, In this day and age internet should be free with your hotel stay..Lastly, food was not at all impressed with the restaurants that was on the property, I advise to eat outside the hotel, better value and much more tastier…Buffet breakfast was the best meal we had at the hotel and that was included with stay..Beware of Nelsons if you do not smoke, there is no ventilation in there, it is overpowering with cigarette smoke..Hotel is acceptable, Staff made it that pleasurable but wont go back…

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback posted on the TripAdvisor.

I was sorry to learn of your concern regarding the maintenance issue of our shower and at the outset, would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the disappointment you have expressed. This point has been addressed with the concerned department to take the appropriate action to avoid other guests being similarly disappointed.

On a positive note, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed all other services of the hotel including our breakfast buffet in Channels and of course the services rendered by our team.

We are grateful for your feedback as such information enables us to continually monitor and improve services and facilities we are offering.

Thank you once again for your support and the time taken to write.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Overall, it is a big thumbs up for the Media Rotana. My colleagues and I arrived having flown overnight, and the hotel was able to check us into our rooms a little early so that we could shower and change before going to meetings. I stayed in what I think was a "Premium king" room and it was brilliant - really spacious, with a separate living room that was perfect for getting some work done and unwinding later on.

In terms of food, the Channels restaurant was great for breakfast - a really good buffet - and Nelson's is ideal for lunch - sandwiches, burgers, steaks etc. Coming from the UK where smoking isn't legal indoors, it was a bit of a shock to the system to be back in a bar where most people were smoking, but there is a no-smoking section and it is worth asking to be seated there if you are a non-smoker.

There were a few people staying at the Media Rotana on holiday, but I'm not sure whether it would be my choice for that. Although there is a spa and a pool, I would probably prefer to stay at one of the more leisure-focussed hotels, closer to the action.

Dubai Marina is a short taxi ride away, which is a good option for an evening meal if you want to get out of the hotel.

I don't carry a credit card - only a debit card - and that was a slight issue on check-in as it meant that the hotel had to take the full cost of the stay upfront.

The customer servie was excellent though - attentive and helpful, without being over-bearing as I have experienced elsewhere in Dubai.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank luckyvdb
MediaRotanaDubai, General Manager at Media Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments posted in the TripAdvisor.

It was a pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed your stay with the Hotel. Please do let me know when you are planning to visit us next time and I shall personally ensure your stay is pleasurable in every aspect.

Thank you once again for your support and the time taken to write. We will always welcome the opportunity to be of service to you again.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

A wonderful atmosphere, extremely nice personnel, many extras in the package. Spa and other health club facilities are very nice and enjoyable. Food variety are excellent. Have a very good italian resturant

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Media Rotana Hotel and for sharing your wonderful comments to the TripAdvisor. I am glad you have enjoyed your stay with you - thank you very much.

I look forward to welcoming you again to Media Rotana Hotel in the near future.

Regards,

General manager

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We chose this hotel because we are members of the Rotana's loyalty programme. Check in took around 10 minutes even after identifying myself as a rewards member (where they have all of my information already on file).

I was then directed to my room and no sooner had I closed the door than I was approached by someone from housekeeping to "empty the mini-bar", because my room was on cash only basis.

I found this insulting and degrading, as a rewards member, we did not expect to be treated this way. We had never experienced such poor treatment anywhere else, either a room comes without a minibar (which is fine for me) or it does, but the hotel does not empty it out while the guest has just stepped in.

A call to guest relations resulted in excuses about "the process" and the mini-bar was refilled but my stay was completely ruined and it was too late to search for alternative accomodation.

I will make it a point to never stay at this hotel ever again. They'd get a zero if the rating mechanism allowed it.

(They also forgot to provide us with the newspaper we ordered).

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel would be your best bet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Delan_Silva

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Media Rotana Hotel and for posting your feedback on the TripAdvisor.

I was sorry to learn of your concern regarding the mini bar and at the outset, would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the disappointment you have expressed. The point raised has been addressed with the concerned departments to investigate and take the appropriate action to avoid other guests being similarly disappointed.

Thank you once again for your support and the time taken to write.

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I was really expecting something extravagant being I had heard so much about hotels in Dubai. I was nit floored by anything I saw. The place seems to be a business professionals hotel. The rooms reminded me of Treasure Island in Las Vegas, just average, though neat and clean. Turn down service daily. The pool area and bar, called the Terrace is the place to hang out. Nice staff, very friendly and great atmosphere. Your personal fan on the Terrace helps fight the heat. I loved the experience. This hotel is a ☆☆☆ 1\2 to me.

• Stayed: September 2013
MediaRotanaDubai, General Manager at Media Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your stay with us.

I am glad to know that you had wonderful stay with us and happy to know that you love the pool area and The Terrace. It is indeed a place to chill out. Thank you for your commendation for my team.

I look forward to welcoming you again to Media Rotana Hotel in near future.

Regards,

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed here recently for a four day stopover and were very pleased with the standard of the rooms,the service and the cleanliness. The staff were most helpful and very friendly. This is very much a business hotel and not really suitable for a holiday stay.I would suggest you use a hotel nearer the beach and one that would reflect the luxurious Dubai reputation. As with any hotel you need a taxi to get you anywhere, these are plentiful and cheap enough for the location not to be too much of a problem. If we return to Dubai we would not stay here but the only reason would be for location.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a superior room
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
MediaRotanaDubai, General Manager at Media Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments posted on the TripAdvisor.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind and generous comments and for commending our friendly and helpful team.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.