“I just wouldn't recommend it”
Review of Media Rotana

Media Rotana
Ranked #165 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My reviews are usually very positive, mostly because I do some due diligence before choosing a hotel, but this one is the exception. I stayed in 100+ hotels on 5 continents, but this experience was the most ridiculous of all.
We stayed there by recommendation of our friends, whom we were visiting. We had issues straight from the start. When we showed up we were told that the room type we booked is not available, so we have to stay in a more expensive room. Even though we had the reservation confirmation on hand with the price and the amount clearly stated, the reception told us they can't help it. I am sorry, this is completely crazy! Never seen that happening elsewhere. So they placed us in an "apartment-like" room (not sure what was the official name), the next day my husband had a talk with the manager and they switched us to the type of room we booked initially. Ok, so we were switching rooms, warned the reception and the bellboy that our bags have to be moved, and guess what - in the evening when we got the keys from our new room, we found out that our luggage is lost, and nobody knows where it is. After 3+ hours of searching it was located - ta-da!- in our initial room where nobody cared to move it.
Should I even mention that we specifically stated in our reservation that we need a smoke-free room, reconfirmed it upon arrival and got a room that was STINKY with tobacco?
We also had a huge misunderstanding with the visa payment, because the hotel helped us with the visa and our friend who is from Dubai paid them for our visa directly (because we needed it urgently and the hotel said that the wire transfer might take too long). Then, they STILL charged us for the visa and it took our friend weeks to get his money back.
Can't comment on breakfast - it looked too expensive so we had ours elsewhere.
The hotel also owns a night club which is obviously very popular with the expat crowd: first, you will hear the sound of the music until morning if you're lucky enough to have the windows of your room on the club. Second, the ladies visiting the club are wearing very little... anything except for makeup... so I would definitely not recommend this place for a family stay (although I've heard it's good for business trips)
On the good side, the hotel is pretty modern, looks nice and AC works well

Room Tip: Ask for the ones not facing the club. Although this wouldn't help: we asked and they pretended t...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Olga F
Write a ReviewReviews (2,360)

Reviewed May 12, 2012

This is one of the best Rotana Hotels in Dubai, rooms are comfortable and stylish with a business touch. Service is excellent wherever you go. This is my 10th stay in this property and keeps exceeding my expectations every time i go.
As a frequent visitor to majoprity of Rotana hotels in UAE this hotel is my 1st choice in Dubai and offers exceptional great value for money
well done all

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Rooms are good and clean except my room's carpet had stains and clear signs of being worn out. Bed was comfortable. Over all, I will say that this hotel has a very good and smiling staff, who always welcomed with a smile whether it was in elevator, in the lobby or anywhere else in the hotel and were always ready to do what you asked for. The breakfast is good however, in my opinion, was not upto the mark of a 5* hotel. The location is away from center but then, this is where Dubai is expanding to now. Initially, we were given a small room with a very small toilet however, this was quickly changed as soon I made a complaint after checking in. The staff is very cooperative and never says no to you. I was sent a birthday cake to my room and the guy who brought it also wished me, this was a surprise and a very good gesture. Over all, a very good hotel with excellent staff if they can look into the minor things that will make this good hotel an outstanding hotel.

Room Tip: ask for room facing sheikh zayed road and not for a pool facing room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Our stay at media rotana in the Internet city/media city area was wonderful. The rooms are spacious, the staff is very friendly and always willing to help with any questions. The concierge, Kenneth and the greeter at the front desk, Emna from Tunisia were so friendly and always greeted us by our names. The both of them were always there to answer all our questions and greet us making us feel welcomed.
The breakfast buffet was delicious.
The pool /patio area was really nice area where you could smoke sisha/hookah.

Stayed: May 2012
MediaRotanaDubai, General Manager at Media Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with the hotel facilities and services provided by our colleagues. Thank you for mentioning so many positive elements about Media Rotana Hotel.

Thank you once again for your feedback and it would be our privilege to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

I was very pleased with hotel's service, room cleanliness, but the buffet breakfast although very rich is bit expensive at around 25 US$ per person. The staff is extremely friendly. The location is ok. Only 5 mn drive away from the Mall of the Emirates

Room Tip: ask for higher floors for quiter rooms
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Stayed on a business trip just for a night. The room was very spacious & so was the washroom. Though the view from the room was okay. Had ordered In room dining, the food was okay, nothing great. The staff were very courteous & friendly.The gym, spa & swimming pool met the hotel's standard.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
MediaRotanaDubai, General Manager at Media Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor during your recent stay at Media Rotana Hotel.

I am pleased to learn that we meet your expectations with the services and facilities provided at our hotel.

We look forward to your next visit in the near future.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

This is an absolutely wonderful hotel in nearly every way. Great beds, good amenities and services on site, decent location, excellent, genuinely friendly service. There's just one problem: the charge for the internet - and the value for money that comes with that charge - is scandalously poor.

Let's begin with the irony of Rotana designating a hotel their "Media" hotel, locating it in Dubai's Media City (right next to Internet City) and failing to provide free internet access. The initial per-day charge for internet access is an eye-watering 100 AED (about 27 dollars!) per 24-hour period. I got the 'discounted' rate for 165 AED for a 48 hour period, so a bargain rate of 22 dollars per day(!)

It seemed a given to me that at a price that steep, the internet access fee would be per room. Wrong! That is 22 dollars a day (down from 27, mind you) PER. DEVICE. Let that sink in for a moment. So, if you are like my husband and me, the pleasure of having both of our laptops, our smart phones and our iPad connected to the hotel wifi could potentially cost up to 135 DOLLARS. PER DAY!!

Naturally I called to complain about this. The very kind woman on the reception staff told me that they regrettably had to have that policy in place because otherwise everyone in the hotel would connect their devices to the internet and it would be very slow. After I hung up I got to thinking about the numerous times I have stayed at places with free internet and connected all of our devices with few problems. So I called back. This time I spoke to the manager, who graciously agreed to allow us to connect three of our five devices for the price of one. I still think 22 dollars per day is too high to pay for internet access, but it's a darn sight better than 135, I suppose.

Anyway in many ways I really loved this hotel. I went to several of their restaurants and bars and the food and service were excellent. I had a massage in the spa and again, excellent service. The room was beautifully appointed and the bed was very comfortable. Unfortunately I know my husband and I will never stay here again unless they drop their internet charge.

If you are like me, and would like a 4-star experience with free internet at a similar price, try another hotel. This place is lovely, but the hidden charges are a deal-breaker.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ChicagoexpatUK
MediaRotanaDubai, General Manager at Media Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2012

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Media Rotana Hotel.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with the Hotel. We however noted your comments with regards to internet charges.

We are aware that you opinion of our services may be affected by the handling of your concerns and do hope that you will not solely judge us on the basis of this particular experience. We will always welcome the opportunity to be of service to you again.

In closing, may I thank you once again for your support and the time taken write.