“Lovely hotel... shame about the internet.”
Review of Media Rotana

Media Rotana
Ranked #160 of 557 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed April 21, 2012

This is an absolutely wonderful hotel in nearly every way. Great beds, good amenities and services on site, decent location, excellent, genuinely friendly service. There's just one problem: the charge for the internet - and the value for money that comes with that charge - is scandalously poor.

Let's begin with the irony of Rotana designating a hotel their "Media" hotel, locating it in Dubai's Media City (right next to Internet City) and failing to provide free internet access. The initial per-day charge for internet access is an eye-watering 100 AED (about 27 dollars!) per 24-hour period. I got the 'discounted' rate for 165 AED for a 48 hour period, so a bargain rate of 22 dollars per day(!)

It seemed a given to me that at a price that steep, the internet access fee would be per room. Wrong! That is 22 dollars a day (down from 27, mind you) PER. DEVICE. Let that sink in for a moment. So, if you are like my husband and me, the pleasure of having both of our laptops, our smart phones and our iPad connected to the hotel wifi could potentially cost up to 135 DOLLARS. PER DAY!!

Naturally I called to complain about this. The very kind woman on the reception staff told me that they regrettably had to have that policy in place because otherwise everyone in the hotel would connect their devices to the internet and it would be very slow. After I hung up I got to thinking about the numerous times I have stayed at places with free internet and connected all of our devices with few problems. So I called back. This time I spoke to the manager, who graciously agreed to allow us to connect three of our five devices for the price of one. I still think 22 dollars per day is too high to pay for internet access, but it's a darn sight better than 135, I suppose.

Anyway in many ways I really loved this hotel. I went to several of their restaurants and bars and the food and service were excellent. I had a massage in the spa and again, excellent service. The room was beautifully appointed and the bed was very comfortable. Unfortunately I know my husband and I will never stay here again unless they drop their internet charge.

If you are like me, and would like a 4-star experience with free internet at a similar price, try another hotel. This place is lovely, but the hidden charges are a deal-breaker.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ChicagoexpatUK
MediaRotanaDubai, General Manager at Media Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2012

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Media Rotana Hotel.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with the Hotel. We however noted your comments with regards to internet charges.

We are aware that you opinion of our services may be affected by the handling of your concerns and do hope that you will not solely judge us on the basis of this particular experience. We will always welcome the opportunity to be of service to you again.

In closing, may I thank you once again for your support and the time taken write.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

Been here nearly a month on business. My room has been great including cleaning. All staff have been exceptional, room service laundry etc. however reception seems to be slow and treat the guest as a hindrance rather than the client. Every time my colleagues agree reception is a weak area.

Stayed: April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us at Media Rotana Hotel and the time taken to share your feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with the Hotel. We however noted your comments with regards to the reception staff.

Lastly, we thank you once again for your support and the time taken to write. We will always welcome the opportunity to be of service to you again.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

Very good hotel for business purposes, food is good, bars are good. Rooms are spacious and service personnel always looks for ways to please the guests.
30 minutes taxi ride from Dubai airport, 10 min from Mall of the Emirates, 15 min from Madinat, 15 min to JBR...perfect location.
The pool area is well arranged and the Nelson´s Bar is a must for football lovers that want to see all games at the same time in the same place.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with the hotel facilities and services provided by our colleagues. Thank you for mentioning so many positive elements about Media Rotana Hotel.

Thank you once again for your feedback and it would be our privilege to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

we had a large suit that had 2 LCD , safe box, good mini bar , and many lux. stuffs.
rooms were not breakfast included.
it has a bar near pool with sheesha and drinks

Room Tip: rooms were very big and luxury ,
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank shagha j

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us with the services and facilities of the hotel.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

We recently decided to stopover in Dubai for 3 nights while returning to the UK from Singapore. We satyed at the Media Rotana hotel located in Bashra a district of Dubai. The taxi from the airport cost about 58 dirhams and was efficient and clean. we arrived very early in the morning after our overnight flight from Singapore but we received a warm welcome and given a room straight away, for which we were grateful. The hotel operates a buffet breakfast in the Channels restaurant and ids run very efficiently. The food is fresh well presented and varied. The Bedroom was large and we had access to a mini bar and other hotel services. There is an outside terrace bar next to the swimming pool where there are tables loungers and shade if required. This was an excellent hotel BUT I do have a major gripe with it and that was the extra charges imposed for the use of the internet. The charge was more for a one day pass than most people in the UK would pay for 2 months access in the UK. This spoilt what was otherwise an enjoyable stay

Room Tip: Buy your internet access and breakfast when you book
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank L0STAgain
MediaRotanaDubai, General Manager at Media Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Media Rotana Dubai and for taking time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to learn that on the overall you have enjoyed your stay with the hotel. We have noted on your comment with regards to Internet Charges. I would like to assure you that surveys are regularly undertaken to ensure that our internet charges are line with other 5 star hotels in Dubai.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights, it's a good choice if you're not bothered about the pool and beach and coming for the shopping and nightlife. Rooms are lovely, we got upgraded to a suite which was huge! The shower was excellent and the bed very comfy! If you want to be based near the Marina/ Souk Madinat Jumeriah it is in a great location and far more affordable than hotels in and around the Marina itself, the taxi costs around 20dhs (£4). The pool is nice but small and in the shade some of the day. The thing that let this hotel down was that our room was not cleaned until 6pm despite a phone call to reception at 3.30pm. Other than that the service was excellent!

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nomadannie82
MediaRotanaDubai, General Manager at Media Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2012

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed your stay with the hotel. We have, however noted your comments on the housekeeping service which was missed during your stay, and at the outset would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the disappointment expressed.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

Hotel location is very good as you hit the highway without traffic in 2 m and 5 m to reach near by beach using a car and 7 min to mall of emirates on the other hand team is well trained to help you enjoy your stay with good value for money

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Tarazikhaled

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us with the facilities and services of the hotel.