“Good Quality 4 Star Hotel”

Ranked #148 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We added a four night stopover in Dubai on our way home to Australia from Europe and decided to stay at the Holiday Inn because of value for money and the fact that we have an Ambassador Status Membership with the IC Chain.

As we were travelling with our two children, we decided that we would book a two bedroom suite so that we had some extra room. We booked 7 months in advance at took the Advance Purchase with Breakfast fate of AED1040 per night (about AUD$330) plus taxes. Pretty good value for two rooms plus living area. I had originally booked three nights, and paid in full upfront, but then added another night a couple of months later. I knew that we'd have to pay this upon check out.

I was impressed with the communication I received prior to coming and we were also advised of a change in tourist tax, which meant that we would pay an extra AED30 per night for the two bedrooms. Love to be pre-warned about this sort of stuff.

It was late when we checked in, about 1am, however our welcome was very warm and Tarak checked us in with no problems. In talking, we found out that there were a lot of conferences on in Dubai and that the hotel was full. Tarak also went out of his way to see whether everything was OK during our stay, which was a nice touch.

Our room was No 151. I think the family suites are usually pretty much at the end of the hotel, so a bit of a walk from the elevators, but I was expecting that. It was on the first floor, so I wasn't expecting much of a view. We had booked non smoking, which was very important and from reading previous reviews, I have gathered that the third, fourth and fifth floors are all smoking, so I'd rather be on level 1 or 2, than be on a smoking floor.

We settled in and finally got to bed at about 2am. It was pretty hot, so having the air-conditioning on was a MUST! It was a little noisy, but we'd get used to it. About 10 minutes after going to bed, the air conditioning ramped up somewhat and became a lot noisier. It was a bit annoying, because I couldn't seem to turn the fan down any further than what I had it without turning it off. In the morning we threw opened the curtains to find.... the world's biggest air conditioning unit right outside our suite. No wonder the air conditioning was noisier than I had expected! I couldn't see exactly how long the unit was, but from what I could see (the windows didn't open), it was at least the length of three rooms. It was HUGE! Given that the hotel was full and that we had to have interconnecting rooms on a non smoking floor, I thought there was little point in trying to get moved to a different room, and in any case we had already unpacked and it wasn't worth the effort.

The rooms themselves, facilities and comfort were all pretty good, the only niggle was the size of the bathroom in comparison to the other rooms - it was pretty small, with the toilet pretty much in the middle of the room, this made it difficult to move and dry yourself.

The reason I gave a four star and not a five star rating was because of the air conditioning and the small bathroom.

Throughout our stay, the staff were lovely. The only morning that we made it down to breakfast, it was what you'd expect of a four star hotel. Not overly fancy, but had most things that you could want, including a fresh egg station. Staff were courteous.

The day before checking out, we booked a transfer to the airport for 7am for the next morning. We specified that we would need either a large car or van, because there were four of us and we had a substantial amount of luggage. We also made sure that we could book it to the hotel room, as we had very little AED left and were on our way home.

Our biggest issue was when we checked out.

I approached the lobby desk and advised that I was checking out for room 151. Mohamed was the person who was at the desk at the time. He did not smile or greet me in any way, which I thought was strange, given the kind and courteous interactions with other staff I had. I cheekily asked if we could use our Priority Club points for the fourth night, but I got a pretty terse 'No'. He printed out the room details and advised me the amount owing. I asked if I could check the bill. He did not hand me the bill, but instead asked for my credit card. Again I asked if I could see the bill, but he seemed to want my credit card before giving me the hotel bill breakdown. WhenI got the breakdown of cost, I noticed that the airport transfer was not on the bill and said that it had been missed. Mohamed then checked with concierge about the booking for transfer. There was a bit of to-ing and fro-iong and it seems that we had too much luggage for a standard size car. We would either have to take two cars or wait for a bigger car (which was currently on the airport run) to arrive. We weren't very happy. We pointed out that we had specifically booked a large car/van because of the luggage we had (four suitcases, four wheely bags). They said that there was no such booking. This was a lie, because we saw the concierge write down our booking. Mohamed was very nonchalant about this whole issue. We had plenty of time... he said. What he didn't know is that we hadn't had breakfast, needed to do some shopping and there was a 30 minute walk from check-in at the airport to the gate area. We didn't have time at all to wait, which is why we pre-booked. He did not want to hear why we needed to go ASAP and again repeated that we had plenty of time. Or perhaps we could take a taxi and pay for it ourselves? No, we don't have any more AED, which is why we pre-booked a transfer in the first place. During this, the concierge and porters were very apologetic and updated us on the no of minutes until the transfer arrived. We waited an extra 15 minutes longer than we should have, which wasn't too bad, but the experience left a sour note. At no stage did Mohamed apologise to us that this had happened.

While this was happening, I was also checking our hotel bill and I noticed that the amount that we prepaid did not cover what had been charged, after adjusting for the AED30 tax per night for the first three nights. I advised Mohamed of this and his only reply is that this is the amount you owe. I again reiterated that the first three nights had been completely prepaid (other than AED30) and we should not have any extra to pay for these nights. At this stage, all we wanted to do was get out to the airport and it seemed pointless to argue with someone who had no empathy at all. We had been charged 1140 AED per night, instead of the rate that we had been quoted and prepaid, which was 1040 per night. 100AED is not a huge deal, but over four nights, it adds up to AED400, which was worth querying. Mohamed was NOT interested in discussing the rate and just insisted that we owed what we owed on the hotel bill. We could not be bothered arguing any more, we were just wasting time, so we paid and moved on.

I need to reiterate that because the check out experience was an issue with one individual, I DID NOT take this into account when giving the rating of four stars, otherwise I may have knocked it down to three stars, but thought that this was not fair on a suitable rating for the hotel overall.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle323
HolidayInnnAlBarsha, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Dear Ms. MIchelle,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha!

Thank you for the time taken to review us, we appreciate your kind comments.

We were dissapointed to hear about your less than satisfactory check out. Your feedback is valuable as it allows us to better the customer experience and will indeed be sharing your words with our Front Office team.

We look after concerns of our guests as a priority in our Customer Care Drive, and take action promptly in areas that require improvement. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are able to continually monitor and improve our operations.

We are looking forward to welcoming back.

Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha

Write a ReviewReviews (1,165)

Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Considering this hotel is advertised as a budget hotel, we were pleasantly surprised from the moment of our arrival. The staff were very professional and helpful.
The pool, although small, was clean and well kept.
We were upgraded on arrival and our room was clean and quite big.
The cleaners went above and beyond- even hanging out clothes that were damp for us :)
We ate in the restaurants twice. The Buddha was fantastic! Highly recommend it.
Great location- close to the mall (about a 7 minute walk) with lots of little coffee shops around that are perfect for breakfast.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnnAlBarsha, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

Dear Ms. Vanessa,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha!

Thank you for the very kind review, It is pleasing to know that you enjoyed your two night stopover with us and are happy with our service.
Our staff, take great pride in ensuring all guest needs are handled with care.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

I often stay in this hotel when in Dubai on business. Everything is very functional and the location is great as it is next to the Mall of the Emirates. I always use the gym which is at roof level and the views are superb. The food is fine but try the Thai restaurant which is very good. The staff are excellent and cannot do enough for you.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Mr. Richard,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha!

Thank you for the great review, we are pleased to hear that you are our regular guest.

Your generous praise to our location, staff, gym and The Royal Budha are very gratefully received and useful for other Tripadvisor readers.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back as one of our most valued guests.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

I stayed at this hotel while in Dubai on business, not my choice, it was booked by my company. I was traveling with a few others and we decides after arriving to have something to eat in the rooftop bar, the service was bad but not as bad as the lighting, we could hardly see what we were eating. My impression of the hotel improved when I went to breakfast the next morning, great selection of food and helpful staff, staff at the reception were also very helpful and friendly. Overall I have a very pleasant stay at the hotel and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
HolidayInnnAlBarsha, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear Mr. Jim,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha!

Thank you for reviewing us. We were dissapointed to hear that Xennya Terrace did not meet your expectations. The concerned associates have been made aware of your comments and appropriate action will be taken.

We are glad your enjoyed breakfast and the service of our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to Dubai.

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

I have been staying here on business for the past 3 years and for the first time I feel the standards have been dropped but only by the front desk.
I am a Platinum member which was acknowledged by the staff who checked me in however as a Platinum member I am entitled to an upgrade

I was not offered this having been told it only is given on availability. Fair enough which I totally understand. However when my colleague who is also a Platinum member and was checked in he was upgraded. Hmm strange.

I went onto the website to check availability during my stay and what do you know the Executive Rooms were available. So I have not bought this up with the hotel as I am currently here in my standard room but will bring up upon check out. This is a disgraceful behaviour by the staff and especially as the hotel is fully aware of my regular business visits.

Furthermore we have not been given our Priority Members free drink voucher.

Not impressed at all.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Connecttraveller

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha!

Thank you for taking your precious time in sharing your thoughts through TripAdvisor. We appreciate your valuable comments which have been passed to our concerned associates, who will certainly look after your feedback.

Your comments will help us continue our tradition of focusing on what really matters most to our guests.

We do hope that you will return in order for us to make it up to you.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We had 5 nights over new year 2013/14 at Holiday Inn Al-Barsha Dubai.

The rooms were a good size and the staff were friendly.

The location was very good right next to the excellent Sharaf DG metro station and also the mall of the Emirates shopping mall which featured all the high street names and restaurants if that floats your boat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upgrade subject to availability. If you don't ask, you don't get!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
HolidayInnnAlBarsha, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha!

Thank you for the great review, we are happy you chose us for your New Year celebrations.

Your comments are gratefully received and tips are helpful to other Tripadvisor readers.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Stayed here for 8 days whilst on business in Dubai. We picked the hotel for its close proximity to where we had business as well as Emirates Mall and Jumeirah Beach. On check-in we were allocated a king room even though we had booked a twin room. We were quickly upgraded to a suite so thumbs up Holiday Inn for that. Unfortunately the rooms were tired and in need of some refreshment. Housekeeping wasn't the best and the dirt on the bathroom floor remained three days until we complained.
Breakfast was perfectly fine and I would advise anyone booking to get a room + breakfast offer as it can be pretty expensive in Dubai.
Free onsite parking was a huge plus too!

Room Tip: I always ask for a room on a higher floor to minimize noise. This hotel is situated on quite a busy...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
HolidayInnnAlBarsha, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha!

Thank you for reviewing us, we appreciate and value your comments.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back upon your return to Dubai.