“Overcharged on check out”

Ranked #153 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

This is my 2nd attempt to review this hotel, my first seems not to be within guidelines!
This was a terrible experience due to the service in the hotel.
I changed my flexible rate stay to add an extra night. The hotel therefore changed my rate for every night I stayed.
This resulted in the extra night costing me over $1200!!!!
I tried to discuss with the hotel manager but he/she refused to speak to me.
I have taken it up with IHG centrally (a month ago) and they've asked the management to contact me now 4 times. Still no contact.
I have booked my next 10 day stay next month in another chain despite being an IHG Ambassador member.
Don't use hotel taxis either. Any local run will be 2x the price of hailing a cab and my taxi to the hotel (they organised from airport) was 5x the price of the one I hailed to go back!
Beware female company in the bar. I'll say no more.

There are a lot of other hotels in Dubai, pick one for your own sake.

Lets see if this is pc enough.

PS - otherwise rooms are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2013
HolidayInnnAlBarsha, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Dear Mr. Neil,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai – Al Barsha!

We really appreciate your feedback and would sincerely like to apologize for any inconvenience that was caused to you during your stay with us.

Rest assured that we have taken the necessary steps and communicated to our team and appropriate training is being conducted to attend to the problems you addressed.

Your comments will help us continue our tradition of focusing on what really matters most to our guests.

We would love to welcome you back, which will be an opportunity for us to look after you.

It is only through thoughts such as yours that we are able to continually monitor and improve our operations.

If possible, please provide us with your contact details so that we can personally call you for more details regarding your stay.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha

Write a ReviewReviews (1,151)

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed here with my husband, son and his fiancee for three nights after arriving from Singapore. Checked in at 2.00 am. The gentleman who checked us in was a little brusque but polite and efficient. Generally the staff were very friendly and pleasant. Rooms were very nice and ours had a good view. We had everything we needed, including complimentary water, tea, coffe, toiletries etc. Air con was fine. Beds comfy. Breakfast was excellent, with a variety of hot and cold items, catering for different tastes. There was a chef cooking the eggs to order, and you could have an omelette with various fillings. My only complaint is no free wifi in the room, which in this day and age I think all hotels should provide. It was free in the lobby, but this meant a very unsociable breakfast as we were all checking our emails etc on our phones in the mornings! Also, please remember to use your "do not disturb" sign if you don't want to be woken up by the laundry man before 9.00 am.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnnAlBarsha, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear Mrs. P,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha!

Thank you for the valuable time you've spent in sharing your comments through TripAdvisor. We are really happy that you have been satisfied on your recent visit to our hotel.

Your generous praise to our accommodation, facilities and staff is truly appreciated!

We are looking into the possibility of providing complimentary Wi-Fi to our guests throughout the hotel, so hopefully by the time of your next visit we shall have it finalized

Again, thank you so much and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I spent two nights on a business / leisure trip. This was this first time staying in this part of Dubai. Location was conveniently located in walking distance to the Mall of the Emirates as well as the DG Sharaf metro station. Very modern, clean hotel with all the amenities that one would expect for this level of Holiday Inn. I was recognized as a Priority Club member and was treated to a very nice fruit basket. The room was comfortable and sound proofing from the outside traffic was good, but the sound proofing from the on-site night club was not so good. I could hear the thumping of the night club well into the wee hours of the morning. This is OK, because it apparently has a very nice club, but it's not for everyone.

Room Tip: select something away from the atrium that doesn't carry the sound from the onsite night club.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank texasjr
HolidayInnnAlBarsha, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha!

Your generous praise is truly appreciated!

Certainly, we will do our level best to look after those areas which require improvements and enhancements.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Cant understand why the Holiday Inn lets its hotel main bar be used by ladies plying their trade. The hotel is in a great location, its nice, clean, modern, but if your planning a romantic break this isnt the place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Iain A

Dear Mr. Iain,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dubai – Al Barsha!

We thank you for taking time out to convey your feedback through TripAdvisor. The feedback provided by you has indeed received our comprehensive attention.

Surely we will look after your concerns and definitely will take action in the areas which require improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Thank you!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Spent 2 nights for a business trip and it was comfortable and convenient. About 20 mins by taxi and within walking distance to the subway station that goes directly to most attractions including the Burj Khalifa, and a huge shopping mall 1 stop away.

I was able to get taxis easily from the hotel.

Rooftop pool and gym was well maintained, and most amenities seemed good even though I did not eat in any of the restaurants as breakfast was not in my room package. A good touch was the choice of pillows (firm, soft etc) to suit individual needs.

For business travellers, the internet connection (LAN and wireless) is an additional charge. I would expect most hotels to provide access but you have to pay either for 1/2 day (around US12)or full day which is an expense some travellers may not opt for.

Overall pleasant except for inconvenience of wifi (unless you pay).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

To Our Dear Guest,

Greetings!

Thank you very much for the comments you have mentioned to our hotel though TripAdvisor!

The management and the entire team of Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha are very happy to know that you have been satisfied with our services.

Be rest assured that the same quality of excellent services will be extended to you on your next visit.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Dubai - Al Barsha!

Thank you.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Spent 2 nights here after a business trip to India. A friend had told me that this was the best Holiday Inn that he had ever stayed. I am not sure that I would agree but basically the hotel was very good.

We arrived abou 2pm and had to wait for about 45 minutes for the room to be ready but we were offered complimentary coffee while we waited.
Room was adequate in size on 2nd floor near the lift. The room was a standard room with twin beds. It was of adequate size. The TV was relatively small,but then I am comparing with a TV at a hotel in India we had just left which had a larger than normal TV. There was a limited range of TV channels available.

There was a lack of information about facilities at the hotel in the room but we picked up a leaflet in the reception area. the hotel claims to have 3 restuarants, there are certainly 2, but I suppose they also include the coffee bar on the ground floor?

Many hotels now offer free web access, but here you pay a minimum of 25AED for 1 hour. initially I had a problem accessing as the information provided to access was incomplete. I accessed 3 times over a two day period for no more than 20 minutes each time but was charged for 3 hours, a total of AED75.

On both nights we had dinner in the Gem restuarant, and breakfast there once. Breakfast was excellent and it was convenient that breakfast was served until 11am. On the first night the restuarant was very busy with a large group of people. The buffet did not look good so we opted for al a' carte. I have had better steaks but the salmon my wife had and I had the next night was excellent. Service in the restuarant was excellent.

On our second evening we had intended to have a drink at the roof top bar, but as this is open air and it was fairly windy we decided to go to the bar on the ground floor. The ground floor bar has several TV screens with at least two sports events. The bar was noisy (TV Sound) and we sat in a corner as it seems the bar is one of the designated smoking areas. There were about 15 people in the bar area, which included 6 unaccompanied young women all sitting on their own at the bar and we did wondered if they were really hotel guests? The chairs in the bar area appeared shabby when compared to the rest of the hotel.

To sum up it was a good hotel, and on the whole service was very good. Recommended

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PeteLusaka

Dear Mr. Pete,

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was a trip for my birthday in March.
Had heard so many wonderful stories about Dubai (despite it being expensive) so me and my friend were very excited about our trip.
We booked through Trailfinders in Newcastle and although the Advisor claimed to have been there before, he clearly hadn't as everything he said never came true.
The hotel itself is on the main Sheikh Zayed Road which was about 20 mins from the airport in a taxi (they have taxis for ladies only!) and it costs around £14-£20.
When we arrived at daft o'clock in the morning the staff greeted us warmly and very friendly and were very keen to take our luggage to the room for us which I personally was grateful for as my limbs had seized up from the 7 hour flight.
The reception area was comfortable with warm and cosy lighting (which I appreciated as my brain was begging for sleep) and had four very speedy elevators.
The twin room we had was very very comfortable, single beds are bigger than average single beds, mattress was supportive and very comfy. The duvet was just the right tog for me personally and there was an endless supply of pillows available.
As we got there so early in the morning we decided to order room service which, to be fair wasn't as expensive as I thought it was going to be. My friend got a burger and I got a chicken toasted ciabatta. My friend (the fussy eater) decided she couldn't eat it as it had onion on it so I had both and I can safely say it was lovely! We didn't have to wait long and the guy delivering it was super friendly (this is a theme throughout the hotel).
After a very comfy sleep we headed down to breakfast. We noticed that the majority of the guests were business types with the odd partner eating alone while their partner went off doing business things. The food at breakfast was primarily catered for the middle eastern tastes, but they had plenty of cereals, toast, fruit and pastries for us Europeans.
Rooms were tidied and clean every day and there were plenty of towels especially for us girls who need about 3 each.
As soon as we had breakfast it was up to the roof top pool for some of the Dubai sun rays. The pool had about 15 sunbeds that got full up after lunch time and you are given free towels each time (good quality ones too). The only thing that was a bit of a pain was the noise from the main road. It's very very busy on the main road and the noise obviously traveled up to the roof top pool so the iPod was on full volume.
There is a bar underneath the pool and this is probably the only part of the customer experience that I would say needs developing. I had to go down to the bar to order drinks and food and although the staff were lovely I was surprised they weren't coming round asking us for drinks - I don't like getting off the lounger for any reason.
The pool itself was absolutely freezing but during the peak months I guess this is a welcome sensation.
They have a gym which neither of us were bothered about and a really pretty terrace bar at night time which overlooked the noisy main road but you could see the main skylines.
The hotel is next door to the metro link and for about £2/£3 you can take the train to see the Burj Khalifa (which I can't spell) which is next to the dancing fountains and the Mall of Dubai.
For evening meal we walked the very short distance to the Mall of Emirates and were completely spoiled for choice. They have a very impressive food court for quick bites and a good selection of restaurants for main meals (I was introduced to the Cheesecake Factory and have been obsessed with it since).
Overall the hotel and staff were very good and although its not on the beach, it is still a really cute hotel to stay in.
One last thing I noticed about the hotel was the smell...it was lovely, very fresh, light and clean smelling. If anybody goes out there can you find out what it is so I can buy some.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed more or less the same. Had a safe, minibar and excellent air conditioning.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Helen H

Dear Ms. Helen,

Greetings!

Thank you very much for letting us know through TripAdvisor that we have made you satisfied during your stay, we are really committed to our guests to provide excellent 5 star service!

Please trust that the voice of our customer is highly important to us and it will help us to continue our tradition of focusing on what really matters most to our guests.

Thank you very much once again, we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.