“Double Whammy”

Ranked #491 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
NY
“Double Whammy”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The event occurred on 01 - 03 August 2011. I arrived at the Zain hotel at approximately 6 PM to catch a nap and relax before my 12 hour flight back to NY. I asked for a wake up call, which never happened. I woke up one hour after my flight left. I wasn't sure I read the alarm correctly, so I went down to the lobby and spoke with the on duty concierge, who stated that he never got the request from the previous concierge. He told me that I need to go down the street to a vendor to call my airline to reschedule a flight. This is all taking place around 2 AM. I actually listened to him and found no vendor down the street. In the morning at approximately 8 AM, I spoke with the concierge who checked me in and I told her that I missed my flight because I never got a wake up call. She took me in the back room to use the hotel's office phone. I called my airline and got a flight that didn't leave for another 2 days. When I explained this to the concierge, she never offered a discount for the trouble. Later on, I went into the hotel restaurant to have dinner. When I sat down the host refused to serve me because it was Ramadan. He told me to call and order room service. When the bellboy delivered the food, a piece of chicken rolled off the tray onto the bed and stained the bedspread. There were tables in the room to set the tray on. When I checked out, I paid for a 3 night stay, all the room meals, and a stained bedspread. Not to mention that I paid more to reschedule my flight. Since then I stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank Mac L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Well, taking the adventurous route for one night stays can result in less than optimal results. In this case, i needed a hotel for a few hours to wash off the dust of Afghanistan while waiting for a Delta flight in 8 hours. I decided to let the cab driver decide. Historically, for me at least, this has resulted in adventures, and sometimes in ordeals. As Bob [--] is wont to way, The difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude. His wife Jody's catch phrase is "sometimes it's just an ordeal". In my experience this time, the latter is predominate. I only needed two things...ice (I brought my Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban at duty free) and internet. The bed and shower are secondary at best. The ice took 45 minutes and three phone calls to appear. The internet worked for a total of 15 minutes before crapping out. They say they are sending someone to the room to a) give me some ice, b) give me the password to the internet, and c) fix the internet after it's broken. All for only $300 for 8 hours. If I see that cab driver again.. oh who am i kidding. At least it isn't Afghanistan...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank SCOTT C

Travelers are raving about these Dubai hotels

Hail
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Zain international hotel, Dubai, United Arabic Emirates.
Assessment: there are better than the lowest price.
Hotel rating: 3 stars.

Advantages:
--------
1. parking.
2. (2) Elevator size small.
3. fax service is available.
4. conditioning.
5. hygiene is acceptable.
6. reminder service is available.

Observations.
-------------
1. bad deal reception desk staff. ؟؟؟؟؟؟
2. determination of the reception desk to retain Passport guests. ؟؟؟؟؟؟
3. very small reception lounge.
4. you need hotel management skill training courses dealing with tourists. _
5. no laundry service (washing).
6. Internet rooms are not available.
7. slow when lock algsab receptionists??????
8. the size of a small room (15 m 2).
9. high price comparing to other hotels like.!!!!
10. don't recommend only when necessary.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With greetings from Khalid.

Room Tip: non , non , non
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Person_tourist
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 15, 2012

I stayed here because my flight was delayed for 12 hours. The ac did not work, many of the outlets did not work, the hotel was shabby but that's why it was the lowest price room I could find. The bed linens were relatively clean. Also, they will attempt to keep your passport. I didn't let them.

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank TTB_12
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Arrived after a long flight and gave receptionist email booking confirmation via booking.com. Insisted had booked 1x triple and 1xdouble yet our confirmation showed 1 single room and 1 double as needed. Made us pay over 900 aed more than what email confirmed as price blaming booking.com but wouldn't show what confirmation he had received from them. RUDE & ARROGANT, CLEARLY CAN'T READ ENGLISH Just a MONEY MAKING CON.AVOID UNLESS WANT TO BE ROBBED! ABSOLUTLEY DISGUSTING BAD SERVICE!

• Stayed November 2011
4 Thank Truebrits
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Was supposed to stay at this hotel for 5 days but after 1 night checked out and went to a much nicer hotel that was way cheaper.... the hotel is ok itself but the day staff is very rude to the point that they were laughing in our faces and being so horrible..... the were very unhelpful and just blantantly rude and due to their behaviour we left after one night..

Room Tip: dont book here - go somehwere else
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank TheAfridian22
Gloversville, New York
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Pleasant staff, clean room. A/C needed fixing and they came fairly quickly. Nothing to write home about, but more than adequate.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo