“Great place to stay for a couple of days of luxury”
Review of Atlantis, The Palm

Atlantis, The Palm
Ranked #101 of 546 Hotels in Dubai
Brighton, England
“Great place to stay for a couple of days of luxury”
Reviewed December 28, 2010

I visited Dubai for a week in October, and stayed at The Atlantis for 2 nights. It cost around £300 per night for a Deluxe room. The hotel was generally quiet, with not too many children. The service was excellent. Check in and check out was quick and efficient, and all the staff were very courteous. The hotel was very clean and luxurious – as you walk around the hotel the scented candles and lighting make for a very nice atmosphere. My flight leaving Dubai was very late at night so the hotel hospitality lounge was very useful to store hand luggage and to shower and get changed after a day by the pool. I enjoyed a day at the Water park, and ate twice at the Kaleidoscope buffet restaurant for dinner. I recommend buying The Entertainer coupon book as there are 2 for 1 offers for this restaurant – especially useful as a buffet costs £40 per person. A pot of tea served by the pool was £5, and a cocktail in the nightclub was £11 – so be warned that it is quite expensive to stay here. Not everything is expensive in Dubai though - a 30 minute taxi ride from the hotel to the airport was only about £12, and we also used the free shuttle to the Dubai mall. I stayed at the Arabian Courtyard for 5 nights prior to staying here which was also excellent and a better place to be situated for exploring Dubai – but for relaxing on the beach and luxurious surroundings I recommend The Atlantis.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,706)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed December 28, 2010

We stayed here just prior to Christmas and we had a fantastic time. Having read previous reviews, I was concerned as to what the Atlantis would be like. However, if you are a family with children and are not on a tight budget then you will love it! The Hotel is enormous but very impressive.

On arrival at the hotel we were offered an upgrade to the Imperial club at a charge which we accepted. The facilities at the club were great, Breakfast, afternoon tea and drinks and canapes in the evening. The staff in the club were very friendly and went out of their way to get you what you want. We did get delayed by two nights coming home due to the snow and Anastacia at the Imperial Club was fantastic helping us to sort it all out.

We ate at Kaleidescope, Saffron, Leventine, and Ronda Locatelli and found that Saffron was our favourite. There is a huge variety of food at Saffron all lovely and even catered for fussier eaters serving pizza's, roast dinners, and dessert heaven for children. Meals in all the restaurants were on average £40 per person. You could probably eat out more cheaply at one of the malls or in the creek but by the time you've factored in the cost of the taxi it probably ends up being a similar price. You could however use the free bus to the malls.

We did use the kids club a couple of times for a very short period, my six year old boy quite enjoyed it but my 10 year old daughter did not and was the oldest one there! It is handy if you need to unpack or pack and the kids don't want to sit around waiting.

During our stay we visited aqua adventure which is a great day out. It is free for guests and towels are provided at the park. It is spotlessly clean and plenty of lifeguards. There is a great children's playarea and quieter swimming areas for smaller children, slides for the more adventurous and lazy river and rapids.

We also visited Mall of the Emirates and Dubai Mall which were both amazing. There are many shops and a gold souk in the Dubai Mall. The free bus is a great way to get to both of these but does take twice the time a taxi would as it stops at other hotels. I wouldn't recommend the Dubai Outlet Mall as it took 45 minutes to get there and we had to wait 4 hours for the bus back which was too long for shopping there. Also we thought the items were not discounted enough and alot of the things looked as if they had been there along time.

We also went to the Gold Souk in Deira which is full of atmosphere and worth a visit, the spice souk is also within walking distance. We did try to find somewhere to eat in the creek but with 2 young children in the evening it was not easy. I would suggest getting a recommendation of somewhere to eat and also a firm descrtiption of it's location. We ended up getting a taxi to the Park Hyatt Hotel and eating in the French Restaurant there, which I have to say was outstanding but as a hotel was very quiet and not really a place I would want to stay with my children probably perfect for those honeymooners who didn't like the busy Atlantis.

We visited the "Burj Khalifa" which is extremely impressive. I would suggest you book at the reception for your visit. You can combine that with shopping at the Dubai Mall as they are located in the same area and also remember to stay to watch the fountains at 6. They are really spectacular!

We did not get a chance to see the Burj al arab and if any of you want to, you will need to make a reservation for afternoon tea as you will not be allowed in otherwise.

We had an evening at the textile souk at Karama which was great fun. They have completely caught on to the fact that Primark and Asda are cheap in the UK and are willing to have fun bartering over the price with you! Don't be surprised to find a kind of 1970's style shopping area when you get there not a traditional Market!!!!

We also did the desert safari with "Arabian Adventures" and I think that was our favourite day. We had a guide called Babillon who made the tour!!! We did the dune 4x4 which was fun possibly a bit tamer than expected, camel rides and then dinner at a bedouin tent which was fantastic. Whilst you are there they have belly dancing, hubbly bubbly, henna tatoos and some really nice authentic food.

The one thing I was concerned about before going was what to wear. In the Atlantis it is definately as they say "resort casual" even in the evenings. They do like you to cover up when coming in from the pool and not in a see-through sarong. When you go out and about nobody comments if you wear strappy tops and shorts but I prefered to keep shoulders and knees covered, which is requested on signage as you enter the malls.

One last thing to consider if you are a family 2 adults with 4 children you may find it more difficult to get a 6 seater taxi. They are about but not so many of them and so you may need to either wait or take 2 cabs.

All in all a fantastic holiday, wish we were still there!

4 Thank MrsDopey
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2010

I stayed here with my husband for my 40th birthday and was bitterly disapointed in the hotel. I was expecting first class...five start..luxuery and an out of this word experience. The hotel is not for couples or people wanting peace and relaxation, it is however for noisy families with multiple children who do not know how to behave in a hotel of this calibre. We had booked an imperial club room and from the moment we arrived it was a disaster, we arrived at 1am and had to stand and wait at the reception desk whilst they checked us in, there was not separte sit down or in room check in for club guests, no welcome glass of champagne etc. We were not shown to our room and around the room. The build quailty and sound proofing is poor as we laid in bed and could here children in the next room and running around in the corridoors.
The most shocking element was the club lounge, which should have been quite, exclusive and again first class, but was no more than a children cafeteria, guests appeared to be feeding their children soley from the complementaty snacks and offerings, as everytime food was replenished they would disend on the buffet counter like a flock of locus and there would be nothing left for others. Children were running up and down the lounge screaming and shouting often dressed in their night clothes of swimwear.
The service seemed to be lacking the attension to detail you expect in a 5 star Dubai hotel, e.g around the pool the staff did not bring cold towels, water sprays, water etc. periodically.
After two days we complained and were upgraded to a suite and given a free meal etc. but only after making a reservatio for the remainder of our holiday at another Dubai hotel and requesting to check out early. At least the staff did seem horrified at this and attempted to recitify the situation, but really the damage was already done.
There were frequent tours around the hotel for low cost cruise lines and other visiters which obviously creates a security problem as there were security guards on the lifts and other area's. Not the thing for an exclusive 5 star hotel.
The best parts are the Aquarium and the resturants where service and food is expected. The water in the pools and waterpark was cold though.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Benny031
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2010

I stayed with the family (including two under 5's) pre-Christmas from the 15th-22nd December at the Atlantis.

I was concerned at such mixed reviews on Trip Advisor before we took the flight out.
However myself and the family had a fantastic time and I am so glad I choose this hotel and location for our pre-Christmas holiday. The mixed reviews are likely because the hotel is huge so the variety and expectations of guests I am sure are vast.

My daughter has all dairy and nut allergies and therefore we had to request special attention at the hotel. This was not a problem at all and they asked a chef to come out at the beginning of each sitting to double check requirements. This took a massive amount of stress away from our holiday and allowed us to relax.

On arrival we did get a free upgrade and also were able to check in 4 hours early which helped. The hotel did hit full capacity just before we left but we did not notice this on the beach or poolside as the sun beds were plentiful as was the staff.

We dined in all the restaurants on the half board package and found the Saffron the best. Based on choice, size and staff attention to detail. We found the Levantine service levels and friendliness not to match the others.

In general I know many people have quoted high prices on drinks etc. I would say they match any high end 5 star hotel chain i.e. Hilton, Marriott etc. with an average drink being above £5. In general why would you stay in the Atlantis if you are on a tight budget?

If you do need to go shopping to help with your budget there are free shopping mall buses that go from the hotel to both the major malls.

We did not use kids club as we wanted to spend quality time with the children. However it did look very good and there was a zero pool which was great for the kids as it only came up to waist height.

Now I wanted to reply back on some of the comments that concerned me before I went.

Cost:
In general like any 5 star plus hotel there are always extra expenses while on holiday. I did feel that there were many options to take more money out of your wallet. Examples being the high prices of photo's taken by the hotel photographers, separate sun lounger and tented areas etc. However you did not need to take these up and the gym was included which at some 5 star hotels I have stayed at has an additional fee.

Security:
The security across the hotel is mainly between the areas of the lifts or transition between shopping and hotel area. The security is friendly and if you flash your room key they are fine. This is ok with me I do not want complete strangers wondering round the hotel.

Lifeguards:
This has to be the safest hotel I have been to with regard to the amount of lifeguards. There are several on the stretch of beaches and are rotated every 30mins. In the water parks they are paced out every 20-30 metres.

Restaurants:
Good choice of restaurants we mainly used the buffet style ones as we had young children. The choice and quality was good and the average price of the buffet was £40 per adult or included with half-board. If you were at the hotel for two weeks the food may get repetitive. The breakfasts also catered for all types of traveller from any region of the world. This was good as I wanted to try other options other than western ones for breakfast. They did even have pork sausages and bacon in a separate section which showed how accommodating the hotel was.

Class of Guest:
We found the guests were a mix of western and emerging markets backgrounds. Many had children due to the attraction of the water park and aquarium and therefore it is well suited to a family holiday.

To sum up we had a fantastic time which was nearly extended due to the snow in the UK. The virgin atlantic team were fantastic in flying out an empty plane to get us all home in time for Christmas. The only challenge I have now is the family want to go back next year so I need to start saving!

4 Thank Sendmeniceplaces
UK
Reviewed December 21, 2010

Atlantis was better than its billing. Every aspect of our 3 night stay exceeded our high expectations. Of particular note, none of the hotel's form or function is in any way 'tacky' - the whole experience is delivered with polished class and high attention to detail.

Only slight negative is the cost. Even with a substantial late rooms discount, a stay at Atlantis won't be cheap! But then again, swimming with dolphins and shopping in high end boutiques, all on site, probably shouldn't be!

A fab experience.

Abuja
Reviewed December 19, 2010

The dolphin bay was extremely wonderful, also the aqua diver was exciting, the safari desert was so natural and beautiful, we got to dress up Arabians, it was spectacular.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2010

I went to this hotel for the first time in June 2009 for my 30th birthday, it couldn't have been made better the staff were amazing, the hotel lovely and the food delicious. We also spotted a few celebs!!! We loved it that much we went back this year, we never go back to the same place twice however I could happily go back here year after year!!!!

• Stayed June 2010