“A dream come true” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #91 of 544 Hotels in Dubai
Norfolk
“A dream come true”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

This trip was the best that I've ever been on. "The Palm" ia amazing place everything is so clean and well thought out. The staff are friendly and nothing was to much trouble for them. I travel lots and have seem many great places,but this hotel and area is ranked very high on my list if not in first place. If you can afford it they please go it really was a dream come true!!! Can't wait to go back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,578)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

They say ignore the very best and the very worst reviews, so I had better keep this as balanced as I can.

What can I say about this $1.5 Billion 5 star hotel?

This is not a hotel for those who want small boutique hotels (but then again, you would not go to Dubai if you wanted something like that). From the second that you pull up outside the hotel, you can only be amazed at the scales of this fantastic place. We are pretty fussy when it comes to accomodation and have stayed at many 5 star hotels around the world, but this hotel is in a diferent league. I have never been to a place that is as spotless as Atlantis, The Palm. Throughout the week that we stayed there, there were people constantly cleaning and polishing everywhere. Not only in the rooms and inside the hotel, but everywhere in the complex is immaculate. This must be throughout Dubai, because the Malls were also immaculate and I do not recall seeing any litter all week (let alone a speck of dust).

The hotel has many great features, such as the 11.5 million gallon aquarium in the lobby which will keep your attention on the sharks, stingrays and many other fishes for hours. In addition to this, there are some great shops in the Avenues, such as Tiffany's.

We were a family of 2 adults and two teenage daughters sharing a single room with two double beds. The rooms were very clean with fresh bedding and towels each day. At no point did we find this cramped and had everything that we needed with a good size quality bathroom.

Previous reports on Trip Advisor have stated that they found the staff to be rude and not interested, but I cannot believe that they stayed at the same place as us, Every member of staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. I can only assume that you get treated in the same way that you treat staff. If you are courteous, you are treated with the most polite and helpfull staff that you find anywhere.

We visited during August (and Ramadam), so I understand that the Hotel was not as busy as it would normally be. This is mainly because many find the climate too hot at this time of year, and many Muslims do not holiday during Ramadam. As a result, we had no problems with sunbeds at the Pool area or the Water Park. The resturants got busy from 19:30, but not too busy that we had to queue.

The food was excellent in the Kaliedoscope buffet resturant for breakfast and evening Dinner, and we also enjoyed the Saffron asian resturant for evening dinner. The choice of fresh food was fantastic (sometimes, too much choice). We stayed half board on an offer whereby Kids eat for free if two adults are in the resturant. We ate at a couple of resturants where we had to book and order from menus. However, the children were given a 'Kids Menu' that they had to order from. As our children were 11 & 13, I felt that this menu was a bit young for them (but they were not too bothered).

As a resident of the Hotel, you get access to many of the features at no charge (you just need to show your room key). This included a well equiped gym, an underwater feature called 'The Lost Chambers' and the crowning jewel which is Aquaventure (the great waterpark that is part of the complex. Anyone can go to Aquaventure, but we worked out a family of 4 would cost a non resident 800UAED (£160) for admission. As it was included for us, we visited it 3 times in the week as you do not feel obliged to stay for the whole day to get your money's worth. It was great to get there for 11:00, and just stay until 13:00, go back to the hotel pool for the rest of day, with the attitude that we could go back the next day. The water park is great because it has a 'Lazy River' that you get stay in your float go from ride to ride. This eliminates the usual situation whereby your are burning your feet walking around. For a charge, you can swin with Dolphins and feed stingrays. This was a great experience. As I stated earlier, we went at a quieter time of year, but I had friends who went in June and stated that they found it difficult to get sunbeds when they went. We did not.

Lets try and think of negative points of the Palm or Dubai. August was really too warm for me and found it too humid to sit outside in the evening. I spend all of the time either in the water or the air conditioned hotel. It would have been nice if there was an indoor pool, but that is just my preference. I do not know if it was just the time of the year, but the sea was full of jellyfish. I was only paddling for 30 seconds when i got stung. The staff on the beach were very attentive and were on hand with vineger to spray. Also, the sea was far too warm to swim in (I discovered that they actually chill the water in the pool to keep it cool, which I thought was a great touch). They are the only negative comments that I can think of.

People have made critisisms about the costs of drinks in the hotel, but what do you expect when you are staying in a hotel of this calibre (if you are staying in a London hotel on Park Lane, you would not expect cheap drinks and snacks). As a Tourist, you are not able to buy alchohol in the shops in Dubai, so we purchased wine and a bottle of gin at the airport coming out, and then purchased tonic water, Coke and bottles of water at the mall. This was much cheaper and I would recomment this to everyone. You are not allowed to take non-prescribed medication out with you, but the malls have pharmacy's that will stock everything.

All of us cannot wait to go back!

2 Thank Chillax_7
west midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

Just came back with hubby and 3 kids, 16, 9 & 8Yr olds, having read reviews before I budgeted £4k for a weeks h/b, but no need I only spent £1k and that included eating at hotel, hiring cabana's on beach 4 days, photo albums and loads of pics!
Arrived at 9.15 a.m. straight to rooms prepared, room service was brill and 5*, had a look at Tiffany's and Rodeo Drive shops in hotel, but prices were same as everywhere else in world no different, Did do Dolphin Bay and it was fab and a defo if going with kids, the beach was hot and quiet, plenty of jellyfish stinging people around mid afternoon but lifeguards on hand if needed, there was lifeguards galore by pool at beach walking around, they could have made thier own Baywatch show, but that was a good thing as there is many kids.
Hotel was full when we were there but we always got served straight away and never had to wait or queue for breakfast or dinner, which was out of this world at the Kaliedoscope resturant. I did see many people been rude especially not waiting thier turn but staff are great in dealing with this.
Staff were great, all hotel was cleaned all the time I seen cleaners as late at 10 p.m. working!!
It is an out of this world' expericience but Atlantis knows that and has hiked up prices alot, we saved for 9 months to afford this break and would like to go back but I think there is better hotels out in Dubai that would stretch your money further!!
Overall a great once in a lifetime hotel, try if you can but keep credit card handy :-)

1 Thank mandyblr
Dumfries
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

My husband works for the Royal Navy, so I flew out to meet him in Dubai for a week of relaxation. We usually stay at Le Royal Meridian Beach Resort, but thought we would try Atlantis after all the media frenzy about the hotel.
We arrived at lunchtime and were expecting the usual wonderful greeting by staff you will experience in other hotels in Dubai. Hoever we arrived at a very busy lobby, with people taking photos and lots of noise, we had to ask where to check in and then queued for ages to get checked in. We had booked an Atlantis Room, Bed and Breakfast- however when we reached reception we were informed it was a Room only basis. Very confusing and made no sense as I booked it through the hotel and had the confirmation. However they were adament and we didn't want to let it ruin the beginning of our holiday so we accepted it.
The rooms are spacious, open plan and well decorated. Although not the most luxurious I have stayed in, in Dubai.
On the first day we explored the hotel, your room key acts as your pass which you need to show security when entering certain areas of the hotel. The pools are vast and always lots of sunbeds available. Golf Buggies are available outside to transport you from one end of the resort to the other. The aquariums are pretty spectacular as is Dolphin Cove. The waterpark is great but not a patch on Wild Wadi.

Food is very overpriced. We ate twice in Kaliedascope (the buffet restaraunt) once for luch and once for dinner, great selection of food, but a very busy atmosphere and not recommended for a relaxing evening dinner. Buffet for two and a bottle of wine was £100 approx. During our stay we also ate in the Italian and Lebanese restaurants, which were nice but even by Dubai standards were very expensive for what they are.

I just got the feeling the entire time I was here that we were being ripped off. Dubai is an expensive city but everything in Atlantis is over priced. I don't mind paying for things to get fantatic quality but nothing at Atlantis met this criteria.

I had such high expectations for this hotel, perhaps my disappointment was because I was expecting the usual Dubai luxury, outstanding service and high standards. However as this hotel is as expensive if not more expensive that other Jumeriah Beach hotels I feel it should have lived up to these expectations.

My recommendation? Get a day pass for Atlantis, experience the water park and view the vast resort but stay in one of the other Jumeriah Beach hotels where luxury and outstanding service come as standard.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Nicosia, Cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

Excellent in every aspect. And we have very high expectations when it comes to how we spend our holidays.
Very professional service, from waiters to life guards. Very polite staff.
Very clean establishment inside out.
Kids loved the waterpark which is the best we have visited.
Being aware of some cases of overcharging the credit card left for deposit during check in, however this did not hapen to us.
We arrived at 3:00 in the morning and our suitcases arrived in the room about 5 minutes after we have been in the room ourselves. So again, rumours of waiting the suitcases for hours proved not to be the case to us.
If you can visit this hotel, then do it. However, this is Dubai. Everything is superb but also expensive so be prepared if planned to visit.

1 Thank ConEfChriMa
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

This hotel was amazing. One of the best i've ever stayed in and I travel quite a bit.

The rooms were awesome. The bathroom was very nice and i liked the way the bathtub opened up to the bedroom but could be closed off. It made it seem much more spacious than some other places. we were quite pleased with the view of the beach as well.

The aquarium was really nice and the lobby of the hotel was a great welcome. The fact that the aquarium was located inside the hotel and we had access to it at any time (during operating hours) and was inclusive of our stay made it worth while. The water park was so much fun, and later we saw it on the reality TV show, "The Amazing Race" which was cool to see. We had so much fun running around the resort. The spa and facilities were also super great, and we wish we'd have used them sooner.

We were on our honeymoon and they treated us so kindly, and the staff even sent up a chocolate and strawberry dessert to help us celebrate. We stayed on the club level, and the food and beverage in the club as well as the views were exceptional. You could see the aquarium below and all the fish in the huge tank.

We are moving to Dubai in a few months, and plan to go back to the Atlantis next February for our anniversary!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

Lovely hotel , the size of it alone is so grand , then there was checking in !! Nightmare !! Stood about for 30 mins then taken to a room with a few bottles of water in till my room was ready !! Got to our room no balcony !! So went back to reception told them that we asked for balcony when we booked so we had to wait another hour for this room !! The food is quality but real expensive ! This hotel is not for the working class like myself !!! We found our selves eating out most nights were the food is cheaper than home !! We found these places in the residents area just of the palm and the malls !!!!! The malls are brilliant thou !! And so is that alkarama were they sell all fake clothes a1 fakes thou !! Atlantis is so nice thou if I had the money I would go back today !!! Aqua park was awesome aswell

• Stayed February 2010