“AMAZING- THANK GOD - we didn't listen to all the negatives!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Atlantis, The Palm

Atlantis, The Palm
Ranked #94 of 541 Hotels in Dubai
Edinburgh
“AMAZING- THANK GOD - we didn't listen to all the negatives!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2009

Just back after 2 fantastic weeks at the Atlantis. We were initially worried after all the negative reviews. DO NOT be put off. Staff are so attentative, speak perfect English, and treat you with genuine affection, they were great with the kids, we have a 5 yr old and a 6month old. The rooms were exceptionally clean, spacious and were stocked with lots of water and fruit when we used them. We arrived at 9.00am and were checked in with no fuss, given check in was 2.00pm. We were asked where we would like to have our room and within 1hr a cot arrived for the baby. We were in the East Tower on the 6th floor overlooking the Aquarium, which is lit up at night, you can also see the waterpark. No excessive noise as previously stated. You can hear people in the corridors if they are loud think its the same in most hotels. It is a busy hotel - they were fully occupied when we where there. Given that there are 1,500 rooms the public areas do get busy- we felt it added to the atmosphere!! Friday and Saturday are their weekend so anticipate this. There was never any issue getting sunbeds whatever the day and the queues for the breakfast buffets were only after 9.30am and this was due to the fact that you are personally greeted and seated not that there are no tables. Kaleidoscope was great and we ate their most mornings however Saffron had more variety- chocolate fountain!! and Haribo sweets to name a few. Saffron was also next to Club Rush, the kids club, which offers free internet service 9.00-12.00. We cannot comment on all the services as we never got round to using them, like the executive lounge and the kids club however we met many people who felt the executive lounge saved them money on food and drink and that the services offered- free internet service all day was well worth it. The pools and beach were great. We set up base camp most days at the royal pool. Next to the royal pool are a trampoline and tabel tennis for the kids. You can also get henna tatoos and hair braiding if you like. We were met every morning by pool side staff ready to get our loungers and towels ready. Alex from Kenya was particularly welcoming every morning and knew our boys names after the first day, he was knowledgable about hotel facilities and knew occupancy , activites and most importantly the weather details. The way some guest spoke to the staff was a disgrace these people can't do enough for you and a simple please and thank you are common decency!! The royal pool does loose the sun after 3.30pm however a quick buggy ride or walk to the zero entry pool and you have the sun until 6.00pm. The pool side bar at the zero entry pool has a happy hour between 4-6pm on a bogof basis and at the royal pool happy hour is 6-8pm on a half price basis. Both pools have a guy handing out free ice-lollies aroune 1-2pm ish which is nice. The beach is not half as bad as made out. Its clean , plenty of loungers and as with the pools have plenty of lifeguards. Unlike the Jumeria beach there isn't as much current but it certainly isn't stagnant. There are however jellyfish- they are blue which don't sting you. Take this from my personal experiance. They look awesome however you will get a slight electric buzz if you touch the tenticles, I mentioned my experiance to the lifeguard and within 2 mins there were people in there removing them!! My son loved them and the lifeguard spent time speaking about them and let him toutch them - He loved it. What can I say about the water park. It's excellant as good as Wild Wadi. 2 rides that were new to us Torrent and rapids. Like a much better lazy river and the kids who are too small for the big rides, you have to be 1.2mt tall for them, can go on these. Great! Splashers area for the kids is good, plenty of lifeguards and beds. Best of all on a Thursday the waterpark is open until midnight. Can be riding all the slides in the dark. There are fireworks at 11.30pm, free dolphin show at 9.00pm and there is a night carnival atmosphere, jugglers , stalls and fire eaters! Great. Opens at 8.00pm and separate lane to get in for hotel guests. Only down side is the price. You expect this in a 5 star resort so budget for this. We ate in the Saffron buffet at night. It cost us £150 with non-alcoholic drinks ,(2 adults and 1 child) It was amazing and the variety was superb. The pool bars are cheaper and the portions are good. Remember taxis are cheap. There are 3 big malls which are a short drive away , for 30dirhams you can go to Ibn Bhatutamall which is split into different sections themed into continents. Mall of the Emirates, which has ski dubia, food court and various restaurants, including the Butchers shop bar and grill- it's fab good steak at decent prices. This also has magic planet for kids, theme park come amusements. And for 50 dirham Dubia mall, which is the biggest and quietist. This is beside the worlds tallest tower. Go to TGI Fridays and have a meal on the balcony. You get a fair meal, a view of the tallest tower and a view of great water display that plays ever 20 mins at night - its stunnning. It also has a Waitrose!! All the malls have a good food court, cheap prices and not just your basic fast food. Too sum up we all had a ball and are looking to book for next year. We also came back with money to spare!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank MissleeEdinburgh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,622)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
West Malling, Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

Lobby was spacious and airy and I love the fact the lifts are not right there near the check in desks. Check in was speedy and smooth and our room was ready at 9am. The room is spacious and very nicely furnished and has everything we required with 2 very large and comfortable beds.
Overall the service was very good, best in Levante (lebanese restaurant) and Saffron (incredable buffet), poor around the pool & the pool bars and not great in Seafire (steak restaurant). Don't be put off by the sometimes not attentive service as the food is out of this world in all corners of this hotel.
The pools were great for adults and children alike and the towel servise was excellent as you could have as many as you wanted.
Waterpark was fantastic for big and little kids.
Bars and nightclub all very nice and some serve great cocktails.

My advise would be to stay at the opposite end of the hotel to the waterpark and the lost chambers if you can as it does get busy there due to the hotel visitors congrigating in that area.

Although my son only used the kids club once it was very good. We used the babysitting service which was very attentive and re-assuring althogh like most things was expensive.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

I stayed here as part of my honeymoon for 6 nights before going onto the Maldives and have to say it was all amazing but the Atlantis really made it. I appreciate all experiences are different but how someone can criticise the wonder of this hotel is beyond me.

We arrived late in the evening and were given an upgrade and checked in within 10 minutes of arrival to the hotel as there are staff everywhere to help you. The bags arrived at the room before we even finished looking around the room. Had a palm view which is far better than the ocean view as you can see all that is happening on the beachand the pool. Also there was a big firework display on the edge of the palm that we watched for 15 minutes. Not sure what it was for but brilliant.

Breakfast is the biggest spread ever and if anyone cannot find something to eat then i would be astounded, from Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Full English. It was superb and the staff could never do enough. Saffron is bigger than Kaleidoscope and i would say had more variety so ate there all but one morning.

There is no question that the hotel is expensive but don;t go if you are not willing to pay or it will annoy you. It's a 5 star hotel in the best setting of a city break with beaches and blue seas. The beach is not as bad as made out and is not obviously man made and was very similar to the one in the Maldives and i never here those beaches criticised.

The Lost Chambers can be done in 30 minutes tops and i would begrudge paying for this but it's free so killed half an hour but not a lot there really other than few fish.

We done a Deep Water Interaction with the dolphins and would do it over and over as it's an amazing experience. Would have been nice to do even more with such amazing creatures but the experience is great.

Aquaventure is great for a couple of hours but definitely avoid Friday and Saturdays there as all the locals come to the hotel and it gets very busy and the rides start to queue up.

The hotel does get busy but staff and security are everywhere in the hotel and it never bothered us so just think people look for reasons to moan.

We ate in two of the hotel restaurants and the food was fantastic and again worth every penny. No more than a good quality meal in London.

The staff could never do enough and were always first to say hello. If you are booked to stay here ignore any negatives as the hotel is unbelievable and i am already planning a trip back. If you do have a problem just ask the staff and they will sort it straight away.

I saw one man being very rude to a member of staff. Manners costs nothing and if i had been the boy i would have not helped the man but he still did despite the arrogance which shows their level of service.

The best experience ever is all i can say.

2 Thank roystonLondon
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

we booked a three night stay at the Atlantis the palm from July 21st to July 24th. we have been here 2 nights now and would just say the Hype is much more than reality.
Yes The Hotel is nice and has good amenities, but it is not the exclusive ultimate experience it is made out to be.
The directions to the Hotel were very poor, we called the hotel 5 times on the way and went around in circles, till we finally asked for help and found our way.
The check in was good and efficient, the room very nice and the view was quite good. The staff was well trained and most times polite and efficient.
The experience that turned me off the most was the way they dealt with one of the promotions. When I made the booking, they had a promotion that you would get a complimentary massage for every massage you booked. This promotion was posted on their website even as late as yesterday afternoon (22 July 2009). But the Spa refused to acknowledge that and said it was an old promotion valid only till June and now they would not be able to offer it. when I mentioned the fact that it was posted online even as we spoke. They gave me the run around and three different employees called me without so much as accepting my point but promising to call me back, the call never came. This is typical cheap 2-3 star hotel behaviour. For a Hotel that claims to be luxury hotel and 5 star standard etc would never deal with the issue in such manner and all that for equivalent of US$ 15.
The water park is good but there are many water parks the world over that we have enjoyed more. The prices were exorbitant and once you were in everything was charged for.
I would rate my experience as not exciting. Maybe if the hype had not been so much and my expectations were lower it might not have been that bad.
But at this point of time, unless I receive an apology from the hotel for their poor customer service will not return.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank natster99
New Delh, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

We stayed in Atlantis in July 2009. Had heard and read a lot about it and were eagerly looking forward to our stay. Just the opening night festivities were supposed to have costed US$50 million out of which $37 million was repuated to be spent just on the fireworks alone (which were supposed to be 6 times bigger than the China olympic games display.) I will be particularly detailed in my comments since I know that tripadvisor reviews are circulated amongst the hotel management team!

From a holiday destination perspective, we decided to stay at the Atlantis since they were running a great promotion. The rack rate for a normal Atlantis room was a few thousand Dhirams. We booked through booking.com and ended paying approx. 1075 Dhirams per night (not including ~20% in taxes).

Anyhow, we arrived. Our first impression was that the lobby was a fish market. The reception disks, if I remember correctly, did not have signs indicating what they were for, the lines were long and there were too many people hanging around. We had no clue which line to go to. Anyhow, we finally crossed our fingers and got into a line. Whilst checking in, we specified a non-smoking room. A trainee host took us up to our room. Guess what? The room reeked of smoke. On saying that i wanted my room changed, I was told that they could not change the room since it was a weekend. When I insisted and said that it was impossible for me to sleep in the room, we were reluctantly led back down all the way to the front desk, we again stood in line and finally got the room got switched. Thus the initial experience was quite jarring.

Going forward, the hotel itself is huge (approx. 1,500 rooms), beautiful and one of the nicest properties I have ever stayed in. The Atlantis type of room that we stayed in was immaculately well done. We could not wait to get settled in and move on to explore the rest of the hotel. The first thing that we check out was the restaurants. We had read a lot about the great dining options and were keen to decide on where we were going to eat dinner. The hotel has 10+ restautants and they are spread throughout the hotel. What I would have ideally wanted is a book with all the menus in one place. Its a bummer that this was something that nobody had thought of and we had to trudge from one place to the next trying to remember what everybody served so that we could make a decision. This was specially important as I am a vegetarian with limited menu options. Anyhow, the food made up for everything. If you're a foodie, then you've died and entered into foodie heaven. The only problem with dining is the lack of many informal / quick dining options. They seems to be limited to a couple of dining places next to the main pool.

Next step was an outdoor exploration of the hotel. I would really recommend that the hotel invests in coin operated laundry machines for the guests. I had not expected to see clothes being hung out to dry from the balconies but this was not uncommon. Having said that, the hotel is huge and inspiring! It esp. look really cool at night.

The massive fish tank is astounding. The tank walls are made of acrylic and were shipped over from Japan. They are supposed to be 30cm to 60cm thick. There are thousand of fish in the tank. Mind blowing. Don't forget to take a "back of the house tour" if time permits. You get to check out how this all works.

We spent a good amount of time at the Aquaventure park. This is something not to be missed and hotel guests get in for free. The best part of the park were the rides which start from the Ziggurat! I literally had my heart in my mouth when I was standing in the line for the "Leap of Faith" ride/slide. The view of the palm from the top of the Ziggurat is fabulous. Don't miss it. Also don't forget to check out the Cold Stone creamery near the entrance to Aquaventure. A visit there is a good way to end a tiring water filled day!

The hotel has a nightclub which was pretty happening when we went. A good place for the guys to hang out (-:

The hotel has a massive convention centre (which seemed to be mostly unused). If I had a business meeting, I would certainly consider having it here.

From a security perspective, it seemed kind of weak. We only had to say our room# and name to get access to most everything. Ideally, they would ask us to at least show room keys.

The guests seemed to be pretty homogeneous. Approx. 40% of hotel residents in a typical year are from the UK and another approx. 30% would be from Russia. So if you are those countries, you'll have plenty of company.

If I was the hotel management, I would invest in english language training for the staff. There were times when we could not make ourselves understood at the first go. Apparently, most of the staff was hired as fresh graduates without any prior hotel experience and it shows. Service level almost everywhere can improve. For example, used plates and cutlery in our room was not replaced when the room was done in the mornings.

For a hotel which aspires to have a minimum rack rate / non discounted charge for the cheapest room to be close to US$800, the service is not good enough. It I had paid anything close to rack rate, I would have felt very unhappy. The product is world class and no cost has been spared on it but lacks the finish on account of service levels not being up to the mark. If I was the hotel owner, I would locate a guy called Pierre, who used to be the general manager of the Imperial Hotel in New Delhi till some time back and put him to work at the Atlantis!!

Did I get my money's worth? Definitely yes.
Would I ever pay full price? Definitely not.

Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Atlantis Palm for one night in July (hubby's bday). Overall its worth going to to see the aquarium and chamber of secrets - this was amazing! I've never been so close to a whale shark in my life and staying the night was worth it for that.
As for the downsides - the hotel was very busy, we arrived and it took over 25mins to check in, standing around waiting for a desk to come free is not what you expect from a 5*hotel. The entrance is very grand and the marble floors impresive. Our room was average, nice and clean but no 'wow' factor anywhere. For such a new hotel the decor was old fashioned, not contemporary at all.
The pools - we thought there would be more pools. There were 2 main pools that were packed. The location of the pools is odd - at about 4pm the sun gos behind the hotel - we could not understand why they didn't build the pools facing the sea rather than facing back towards the palm? Having stayed at other 5* hotels in dubai it was not what I expected, no swim up bars, no cold towles, crowded spaces...commercial
The beach - this is not a 5*beach. The sand is not soft underfoot, the sea looks back towards the palm and all you can see is massive concrete strutts that hold up the metro and the buildings opposite - not at all what we expected.
Aquadventure - good fun - we went there twice, Dubai really do know how to build a water park. This is worth going to. I'm stll undecided as to which is best - this one or Wild Wadi - my husband thinks Wild Wadi.
Food - the beach bars are expensive for what you get - I think the cheapest thing on the menue was a £12 hot dog! Your looking at £35 for 2 for lunch. We got dressed up for dinner and decided to go to Saffron - I felt SO overdressed in my heels and dress, next to others with jeans and t-shirts on! Saffron is more of a family restaurant. The food however was excellent - can't fault it, but the experience is not what I had in mind (we found out later that this is one of 2 places you eat if your all inclusive) it had a canteen feel about it.
Overall this hotel is worth going to to see the chamber of secrets, the aqurium and use the waterpark (which is free if you stay). I would not want to stay here for any length of time, its overcrowded, old fashioned decor lets it down and it just doesn't work for me, there are better hotles in dubai.

1 Thank Edge81
perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

Stayed on a 2 day stop over en route to the UK, with my 2 sons aged 13 and 10, what a sight to see after an 11 hour flight from Perth Australia getting to the hotel at 7am, they checked us in straight away even though rooms not available until 2pm. Reception staff were quick, proffesional, efficent, charming, made us feel very welcome.

Had one of their cheapest rooms on level 5, stunning views over the gulf from the balcony, too hot to sit outside and look at it too aften though, but on every glance out we saw luxurious boat after boat, sunseekers, mustangs, sports cruisers, just pure oppulence speeding up and down the coast.
The guy who bought our luggage up explained about the room safe and the mini bar, dont take anything out as it is automatically charged for. showed us how to work the tv, the airconditioner etc.

We went exploring immediately, everyone so friendly and welcoming, decided to have breakfast at Saffron restaurant, lovelly, choice of food amazing, like a trip around the world for your stomach, went there that night and the4 next day for another breakfast too, just perfect couldnt have wanted for anything else.

Spent the day by the pool, overlooking the monorail and looking back on the most amzing place on earth they call Dubai.. The adjoining water park, the lost chambers all free as we were guests at the hotel, and what a wonderful experience they all were, the food sold in the park was good, the drinks readily available, lifeguards every 20 metres, all smiling, everyone happy, calm, no bad language, no out of control screaming teenagers, just loads of people from all countries all shapes and sizes all having a wonderful time.

Atlantis very highly recommended, safe, warm, wonderfully inviting hotel, with the most amazing cars parked in the car park, we spent an hour looking at the contents of the car park, (Boys will be boys) like a Top Gear 5 star special, Couldnt fault any of it, and cannot recommend it enough.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family