“Visit just for the day you will still get the wow factor”
Review of Atlantis, The Palm

Atlantis, The Palm
Ranked #99 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Visit just for the day you will still get the wow factor”
Reviewed April 16, 2009

We have had several trips to Dubai and watched the Palm being developed so where quite excited about staying at the Atlantis . I have read the reviews and want to be as balanced as possible . Yes there is a wow factor but you can only watch fish in tanks for so long .I had stayed at the Atlantis in the Bahamas so i knew it would be big yet i presummed it it would have the service we have experienced in Dubai before and for me this is were it failed. Hotel caters for 1500 people staff were often very indifferent to your requests due to being busy
Room was nice but no balcony which we had requested despite being there for 9 nights they said they could not move us
We ate in two of there restaurants Rostang 2 michilin star food her e was appalling complaints fell on deaf hears . Kaleidoscope over priced for a buffet . We didnt try any more apart from breakfast which was fine .I can highly recommend both the Pier chic and PaiThai at AL Qasar roughly £210 with wine same price as Atlantis but far superior .We too also ate at the emirates mall and can recommend the Pizzaeria , Chop Chop and the mexican all in the west end section of the mall and all for under £70 for three. Try the festival mall aswell nice water front fun fair for children and nice selection of restaurants. If you like massive crowds not too fussed about the service & food and just want to be seen in the in place then the Atlantis would be fine. I would recommend staying at any of the following ,Burj Al Arab,Mina A Salam or Royal Meridian all give excellent service less crowded and value for money. One last thing on the Atlantis if you have children be aware that you will have to pay for the teen and childrens club which i was not aware of before i went .The childrens club would cost £50 a day or £356 for 9 days. The water park is worth a visit for a family of 3 you would be looking at roughly £200 for the day depending on exchange rates ( WILD WADI is free to guests of the jumirah group ). Overall i do not feel the Atlantis is value for money far too big and impersonal.

3 Thank Lilybuttons

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,679)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed April 16, 2009

We just returned from 10 days at the Atlantis in Dubai. We have been to Dubai before and we have stayed at the Atlantis in the Bahamas so we are able to compare the hotel and the location. For city, I prefer Dubai to the Bahamas, but I prefer the Atlantis in the Bahamas to Atlantis The Palm.

We used at Best At Travel for this trip and I was quite nervous about using a travel company like this, especially as I have read some scary reviews about them online. My initial contact with them was not good as the first agent I spoke to was aggressive and quite rude. He kept calling me and emailing me and really put me right off using them. A friend was going at the same time as me and was using BestAtTravel and she had an agent that was easier to deal with, so I switched agents and it was all good after that.

Best At Travel is an authorized agent of The Atlantis so they can swing some pretty sweet deals. By booking through BestAtTravel our trip was several thousand pounds cheaper than booking directly through the hotel, plus it included flights on Emirates and hotel transfers.

I had heard that BestAtTravel were slow in sending the paperwork, had terrible customer followup and you didn't always get what you paid for. This was the not the case for us, or the two other families that used them at the same time for the same trip. I will definitely use them again.

As for the hotel - it is just way overpriced. Yes its 5 star and the room price is an indicator of how expensive its going to be, but the Atlantis can be accused of price gouging its guests once you are there. There is nothing else around you so if you want to go for lunch or dinner somewhere offsite, its about a 15-20 minute taxi ride. To charge $11 for a small waffle at the water park is outrageous. $10 for dippin dots. $80 for a lunch of frozen deep fried chicken nuggets and fries!!!!

As for the water park, its wonderful but as many other reviewers have noted, its open to the public and the hotel guests get treated the same as the paying public. This means the doors open at the same time and if you don't don't get down there early, there are no sun beds to be had. The Atlantis should give its hotel guests either an early entry time or extended hours. This was definitely the biggest complaint I heard. That and how busy the water park was - 45 min to 1 hour lines for some of the rides. When you are paying top dollar to stay at this resort, you don't expect to have to wait that long.

So the pros and cons in a nutshell:
Pros:
Friendliness of staff
Resort is beautiful
Weather

Cons:
Water Park is too busy
Way overpriced on everything
Beach is man made and the sand feels like crushed concrete
Meal times are like cattle calls

We love Dubai and will go again but I won't stay at the Atlantis. I will however stay at the Atlantis in the Bahamas, as the experience there was all positive.

Europe
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We were in hotel in the end of March, it was our fifth visit in Dubai, we were there for 2 weeks with two small children. Previously we stayed in Jumeirah Beach Hotel.
Very busy hotel with a lot of visitors from outside, so sometime you feel like on the train station.
Service - is nice but you can find too many things not working properly - waiting 10 minutes at the swimming pool to get towels and place, cleaning room on very standart level- our balcony was never cleaned, chaos in restaurants esp. for breakfast.
Food - the best breakfast menu which we ever had, advantage to take breakast till noon. Fantastic French restaurant, the rest of restaurants - average
Beach - you can feel that it is manmade, view not nice
The view from balcony - construction side
Too big hotel, not enough green around
Comparing with Jumeirah Beach hotel - much worse

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Andrej22
Chicago
Reviewed April 14, 2009

I just came back from Dubai with my 13 year old son. We had no problem with checking in, about a 10 minute wait which after my explaining how tired we were, got us an upgrade to the Imperial Club. The staff was very helpful and the pool and water park were very clean! I would recommend it for a short stay. The traffic going to the end of the island can some times be long with all of the construction going on. A for sure must is going to the Souqs down by the creek. Great shopping for textiles, gold and spices. Really gives you a feel for the country!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Durham UK
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We have just arrived back from Altantis. We were slightly concerned having read some of the previous reviews. We aren't a rich family and were primarily concerned about costs.

This is our opinion only. I hope it assists your decision making or puts your mind at rest. It isn't in any particular order, just as we remember things.

1- As a 'once in a lifetime' the Altantis is quite an experience. To be on an island 1 mile out to sea which you can watch being built on Youtube is a great tribute to mankind's ability - when put to good use.

Although there isn't much to view on the Palm other than the Alantis the engineering feat is quite considerable.

2- The hotel is huge- we were on the fourth floor and our room was number 300 plus. There are 18 floors ( at least)..... Maths isnt my chosen subject but there are clearly going to be lots of people there. Even with six lifts we had to queue some days to get into the lift.

3-The weather is hot - it was between 30 and 38 when we were there and did'nt seem to drop much of an evening. We ventured ashore on two evenings and the taxi showed the temp as 30 ( at ten at night). That said it was very windy on Easter Sunday to the extent that the sunbeds were being blown across the poolside and I know they had a few storms just before we arrived.

4- The Atlantis is very expensive. This is made worse by the poor exchange rate at the moment ( around 5 DHS per Pound):

Some examples:

Pint of beer £9. Glass of wine £12 . ( The Shore restaurant / bar next to the pool does a happy hour between 5pm and 8pm at half price. Food at the pool will cost about £15/20 for a basic snack per person through the day, ice cream £4 each.

That said the rooms are refilled with water daily (1 and a half litre bottle) so you could in theory take that to the pool side.

5- Food in the restaurants is very expensive - we worked on a budget of £160 a day for food - between two adults and a child and just about managed. And that was really just for a snack during the day and an evening meal (free breakfast).

If your rich then that's obviously not an issue - but for ourselves, we had to be careful ( it can add up very quickly). You can keep an eye on your bill on the TV in your room which helps.

Oh - we did endulge one evening and bought one of the cheaper bottles of red wine @£60.

6- The water park is pretty good - not quite Disney Florida but good for a day out. Be careful though as we were there over easter and it was very crowded.

My daughter fell out of her rubber ring on the rapids and ended up with gravel rash on her knees and foot as did my wife trying to rescue her. The guards are strategically placed but werent able to stop this happening.

Food in the park is slightly cheaper as its also open to non hotel guests.

7- The dolphins are worth a visit. I didn't have 'kissing a dolphin' on my top ten 'must doo's' before I die' but it was quite an experience - if you have kids its worth booking up before you leave home.

The Lost Cambers is also worth a visit as there are some stunning sights.

8- The staff at the hotel were excellent, very friendly and really cannot do enough for you.
We asked for extra coffee one evening as we had run out and room service were there within minutes- very apologetic. Rooms were cleaned every day.

The room itself was a good size with two queen size beds. We did hear a couple complaining that they had been squashed into a similar room with their 4 kids? For us the room was fine but I would make sure you know what your getting.

There is security and staff everywhere and all are very keen to help with anything.

My one complaint would relate to the pool side service where the staff are very busy - we met with a bit of indifference when asking for some sunbeds ( as they all appeared occupied) or when asking for a menu ( as you have to be at your sunbed to order food).
I think this is to stop you ordering kids portions ( which are just as big as adult ones but only one third the price).

The sunbeds have canopies on them and towels are free.

We didn't go to the beach other than for a walk ( the hotel has its own beach at the rear of the hotel facing the palm). The sand seemed hard but clean. The beach has plenty of space. The view is only spoilt by the Mono Rail which runs from Atlantis to the shore.

9- Breakfast was included in our package and was served until 11am and 12 noon in the two available rooms (Saffron and Kaleidoscope). There is so much to choose from and it's all the highest quality. The fruit juice choice is quite something.

Breakfast time is very busy but there always seemed to be plenty of staff to help - no sooner had you finished than your plate was removed - which only led to the temptation to go and fill another one.

My daughter now expects cornflakes with chocolate milk / onion bhaji / noodles and marshmallows (dunked in the chocolate fountain) every day.

10- There does seem to be a bit of who can wear the most expensive sunglasses / watch - carry the best handbag on show. This was largely lost on me but there are clearly some people there because its vogue.

But with the most expensive rooms at 18k a night its to be expected.

11- Overall then I would rate Atlantis as very good. We were in Dubai in October 08 and stayed at The Hilton Jumeirah which if I'm honest was just as good but cheaper - the difference being the 'Disney ' factor.

We also ate out on two nights to see what else was on offer.

We visited the Souk Madinat near to the Burj Al Arab. This has some excellent traditional shops ideal for presents and some lovely restaurants next to the water side. Costs here were much more realistic - £15 for a main course - but still £6 for a beer.

Alcohol is always going to be expensive in the UAE.

We also visited the Mall of the Emirates which offers a wide range of excellent shops similar to the Metro Centre or The Trafford Centre etc... with the addition of a huge visible ski slope and signs asking you not to show affection to your partner, reminding that you were in the UAE.

Food here is considerably cheaper - alcohol isnt available. We went to a Pizzaeria and the whole meal cost less than our 'one off' bottle of red wine from the Atlantis.

Taxi costs were about 5 to 6 pounds each way from The Atlantis. Be mindful that the taxi drivers we experienced were very poor drivers - far to fast and close - lane hopping etc.

All in all I think Dubai has loads more to offer. The Atlantis was definately worth the cost on this occassion for the experience - next time I would probably opt for cheaper on Jumeirah beach and spend the rest on trips out.

6 Thank TheBadgers
Exeter
Reviewed April 12, 2009

March/April 2009 had a fortnights family holiday staying at the Atlantis the Palm Dubai, before travelling took a look on trip adviser and was concerned!!!!!...... on reaching our desination my worries were put to bed the hotel itself is magnificant the staff FANTASTIC nothing to much trouble, friendly. Our room slept two adults (double bed) my 12yr daughter (double bed) and my 10yr son (single bed) was very clean, had all the mod cons our daughter chuffed as had ipod dock. So much detail in the decor of the room in connection with the sea. Bedding changed daily and soft not starchy, bed very comfortable, bidet and toilet in separate room of the bathroom, large powerfull walk in shower. Plenty of power points (uk sockets) Iron and ironing board, hairdryer, fridge (room for own drinks as well as mini bar drinks) plenty of bottles of water left daily FREE as well as dish of fresh fruit changed daily. Out and about very clean and if you pass a member of staff, smiley and ALLWAYS say "hello" first. Pool area excellent pool staff locate sunbeds lay out towels fetch food and drinks for you. Sunbeds excellent comfortable as have own shade umbrella/hood so excellent for kids used extra towels and made little dens for the kids. My kids where well chuffed with the zone area (amusements) word of warning give allowance nightly or you will be putting your hands in your pockets all hoiliday. Payed extra and joined the premium leasure club which entitled you to FREE child care in the kids club FREE entry in Aquaventure (only hotel residents from 10am - 11am). FREE soft drinks in lounge allday plus cheese, sushi nibbles plus sandwiches and afternoon tea happy hour from 6pm - 8pm when alcohol unlimited. The staff in the lounge were very abliging and nothing to much trouble. Laptops available to use in lounge along with magazines/papers . The security for residents area only was very strict. The aquarium was fantastic larger than life, lost chambers very informative, dolphin bay (interaction with dolphins extra charge) beach abit of a let down very scratchy on feet but stafff are working to erase this problem. The restaurants have fantastic decoration BUT food is exspensive but quality is fantastic. Recommend seafire (steak), saffron (buffet), Locatelli (italian), Kalidoscope (buffet). Taxis very cheap, Dubai /emirates malls very clean and large selection on label shops and a lot of uk shops one word of warning if intending on purchasing a costly item check out prices before leaving uk plus make sure wear comfy shoes as you will be doing a lot of walking. On conclusion we have decided as a family that we will definately be going back next year.

3 Thank FlossyExeter
London
Reviewed April 8, 2009

Not wanting to take anything away from the grandeur of this hotel - which is undoubtedly spectacular and a feast for the eyes, but is tragically let down by the service which is the worst we experienced by far from all the hotels we visited in Dubai. It's overpriced throughout and the atmosphere is exclusive and cold. My advice would be to take a day trip to the Atlantis. You'll still get to see it all you won't have to be served by arrogant staff at an overpriced hotel that is cut off from the rest of the city's attractions.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple