“think they have their act together now”
Review of Atlantis, The Palm

Atlantis, The Palm
Ranked #97 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
“think they have their act together now”
Reviewed February 1, 2009

So, arrived Dubai arrivals at 4.30 local worrying about the 6 diazepam I have in my bag (for back problems) as am sure I shall get locked up for being a drug dealer. Fears over, sail through immigration, next port taxi to Atlantis please. Thanks to TA reviews, exit left from the airport to be greeted by a fleet of beige and yellow cabs. Now, start calculating the exchange £1 = 5aed, 20aed straight on the meter for a night fare plus our journey which I guestimate to be 25 mins. Arrive Atlantis near on 25 minutes exactly thanks to Stirling Moss our cab driver and parted with 80aed including a round up to nearest 5aed, not bad, I make that less than twenty quid.
Ok, so it’s now around the 5.40am mark and our bags are whisked away by a bellman and we’re shown to the Imperial Club VIP check in by another equally polite and attentive gentleman. For those of you pondering a visit to Atlantis, I know it’s far from a cheap local hotel but, if I could make one recommendation with regards to Imperial club. If you intend to spend a fair bit of time at the hotel and given the facilities I would suggest you probably will, consider the extra cost for Imperial club. Imperial Club guests, once parted of and extra £400 approx for an average stay will qualify for copious extras in the way of food and beverages. Given the cost of eating and drinking in hotels in Dubai, this proved to be money well spent as the Imperial lounge offered food from 7am (massive breakfasts) to sushi, cakes, pastries, cold meats, cheese, fruit, tea, coffee and alcohol right up to 11pm, all included in the Imperial upgrade cost.
Now, having read the early TA post on Atlantis, I must admit to being tempted by staying off the island at say the Jumeirah beach hotel. Early Atlantis reviewers, even though they had been fortunate enough to have had the luxury of a massive discount on room rates, were scathing of the fact that the resort wasn’t quite finished and service was far from attentive. Please note that the hotel had a soft opening to bring staff up to speed, no easy task when you have around 1500 rooms and a smilar amount employed encompassing around 39 nationalities.
After a two hour nap, assessment of our room, (very comfortable) a shower and a massive breakfast at the imperial lounge, I was ready to explore.
From the outset, climbing from our cab on arrival, the staff were, courteous, attentive, without being subservient and very accommodating. In fact I would suggest that given early reviews, perhaps Atlantis is overstaffed to appease the early negative reviews.
In a nutshell, staff…10/10, cleanliness of hotel…10/10, general facilities (giant aquarium, water park) 10/10. The only criticism of my experience at Atlantis would be the dolphins, you don’t get to swim with them but understand that this is due to change about mid 2009, the photo’s cost a fortune and its not a 90 minute experience as one is led to believe… 7/10.

Hope this helps

Avinagg

Aka Ken

• Liked — too much to list, fantastic decor, staff, food......
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
9 Thank AvinAgg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,653)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
solihull
Reviewed January 28, 2009

My wife and i stayed at the Atlantis Palm for 4 nights in november 2008 just before the official opening.We had a luxury room with a large balcony with 2 sun loungers overlooking the pool and the sea.You can't fault everything that this hotel has to offer.The attention they give you is superb.The pool area was excellent with more than adequate numbers of sunbeds and the same also goes for the beach area and everywhere was kept spotlessly clean.We thoroughly enjoyed our short stay here and would love to visit again some time soon.The breakfast that was included was first class in every aspect and the restaurant was a delight.Evening meals were expensive as were all the drinks,however as this was a special occasion and we knew before hand that it was not going to be cheap we didn't mind.The adventure park is free to guests and you can spend a great day in there,although it can get very busy at times as non guests can pay to come in and use this facility.I would definitely recommend this hotel as a treat or special occasion as long as you are aware it can be very expensive.Taxis are cheap enough into Dubai City from the hotel and you could eat out there a lot cheaper if you wanted to.The monorail due for completion this year (2009) from the hotel will make access to other areas easier and more interesting.Dubai is a great place to visit and is both friendly and safe.This was our third visit to Dubai and we love it.I would recommend a day out on the open top bus which takes you to all the places of interest around Dubai,the ticket allows you to hop on and off the bus when you like.Also a trip along Dubai creek on a Dhow boat with an evening meal is a must.

• Liked — A nice touch of luxury
  • Disliked — Very expensive
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank luv2travelsolihull
london
Reviewed January 27, 2009

I have waited a bit to write this review so that I could be clear about things.
The actual price of the trip, we found it on travelfinger.com - was good; but generally and we were warned, the place was expensive.
Don’t get me wrong the hotel is good, but I really think that’s all it is. It’s new, spotlessly clean with attentive helpful staff everywhere. The pools are very good too, maybe the best I have experienced; the infinity pool looking out over the city is terrific and the water park and aquarium is also up there. (Though lots of people could not help but tell me it’s better at the Jumeirah Park-you know the type!)
Our room was fine, spacious with up to date mod cons, iplayer, plasma telly, and a nice balcony also with good views. Breakfast in The Saffron Restaurant which was included in the price, was wonderful, probably one of the nicest hotel breakfasts I have had.

Okay, now the issue. This was my first time in Dubai and frankly I thought the whole place was too expensive for what it is. Overpriced, is what I would call it. In the hotel, a glass of champange was thirty quid, breakfast if not included, was around a hundred. General food prices in the restaurants were a couple of hundred for a meal for two. The dolphin park was around three hundred an hour. As for the booze, forget it, it,s crazy prices, stock up on the duty free.
Another problem which nobody forewarned us about was the fact that non residents can run around the hotel all day long and I thought that was a bit of a take-on for those staying there.

The beach is man made, as is the whole locality and that’s another problem; it feels manufactured. There aren’t any of those little finds you enjoy discovering . It’s almost bordering on Disney.
A nice hotel yes, but I am so pleased we did not pay fortunes for it as did some…give me Vegas anyday!

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — a take on
  • Stayed January 2008
2 Thank scarrowbird
england
Reviewed January 21, 2009

Stayed at the Atlantis at the end of November as i heard there had been a few problems i was aware it might not have lived upto my expectations but that wasnt the case. As we arrived in Dubai and the taxi drove towards the hotel it was like a dream come true. The hotel staff were friendly and there wasnt a que to check in unlike other people may have had problems. The room was nice had a great view of the pool and the beach.
We were able to have a shallow water interaction with the dolphins which was the best thing about our stay only wished we could have swam with them.
The hotel prices for the food and drink is very expensive for what you get which was a bit of a let down for me as that was one of the things i was looking forward to otherwise the breakfast was the best meal of the day with a chocolate fountain which i loved!
The water park was very busy on a weekend as anyone can go there so go early.

• Liked — the activites
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed January 19, 2009

Very nice hotel and typical Las Vegas style looks. Rooms are however very, very disappointing for the very, very expensive price you pay for staying here. Restaurants and pools are fantastic and the water park is the best in the world. Hotel staff are available everywhere and the level of attentoin and service is the best and can't be beat. They really treat you very, very well everywhere reception, bell desk, security gards in the hallway, lobby, restaurant personel, life guards at the pool etc etc. We live in Thailand are are used to best service but we were still impressed with Atlantis and their attention to their guest. All prices are however too expensive and you get just a normal typical 3-4 star room. Our kids want to go back due to the waterpark - but this place is not really affordable.

• Liked — Level of service
  • Disliked — Quality of rooms
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Andrew41
Warrington
Reviewed January 18, 2009

Just come back from a week at the Atlantis Palm and I have to say it was fabulous! We are a family of four (two girls aged 15 and 8) and we all thought it was WOW.
Lots of things to comment on, especially after having read so many reviews that were poor before going. We found all the staff to be genuinely very friendly and helpful. Obviously got over the initial opeining woes as everything was very smooth and well organised.
The occupancy was low when we were there, so we had lots of staff looking after our every whim, not so sure it would be the same once it gets to 75% occupancy and upwards, although there are 4000 staff employed in the complex!
The facilities are stupendous. Everything is spotless and polished daily! Pools and outdoor facilities are fantastic. Beaches are man made with white sand that looks like they are brushed every night (they probably are!). Aquaventure (water park) is great if you are (or have) kids! Free to hotel guests. The Lost Chambers and the whole Aquarium thing is also amazing, again free for guests. Lots of nice touches in the hotel, kids club, kids games room, ice cream factory and other things that show great attention to detail.
In terms of our room, we had a Deluxe double over looking the Aquarium. I would do the same again or go for a room over looking the pool, not the sea.
The room was a good size with a great sized bathroom/showeroom. High standard of finish and facilities, with two very large double beds in it. Great Plasma, Ipod player, hairdryer etc etc.
The only thing we could fault is of course the restaurant and bar prices.
We had planned to eat in the hotel, but the prices were just to high. Luckily our deal had breakfast at Saffron included which was great as otherwise breakfast would have cost us £100 per day for all of us! The breakfast was great, sooo much choice, sooo much food. Can't recommend it highly enough. But get it included.
We also ate twice in the Kaleidescope restaurant, which again was a buffet style but very nicely done, very high quality and lots of choice. Usually came in at about £130-£150 with a bottle of wine for the four of us, which we could cope with.
I would recommend you get off the Palm and try restaurants and shopping in Dubai. It is the Dubai Shopping Festival from mid Jan to mid Feb, so lots of sales and activities. Taxis are cheap and we found some great restaurants by asking the staff and taxi drivers. We found one particularly good Chinese called Hong Kong Cuisine near the Movenpick offices in Dubai City. Very traditional, no frills but great staff, GREAT food and good prices. Full works for the four of us usually about £50-£60, although some new law has been passed which means that only restaurants in hotels can serve alcohol, so beware if you like a drink with your meals.
Overall I would say it is the best hotel we have ever stayed in and we have stayed at some very nice hotels previously. Would definately go again and recommend it to anyone thinking of going to Dubai.

• Liked — The whole Atlantis Experience
  • Disliked — Very expensive meals and drinks
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Fadedbryan
warwickshire, england
Reviewed January 18, 2009

The Atlantis delivered all it promised to be. It's big, it's brash, there's been no expense spared - exactly what you expect from a luxury Dubai hotel!
The service was great. They certainly seemed to have ironed out any teething problems they may have had when it opened.
Everything is expensive though. Coffee was £6 a cup and I daren't even think what we paid for a gin and tonic. We ate in the hotel 3 nights and for the other nights we took a taxi to the shopping malls, and ate there. There's lots of choice, so a very easy option.
Taxis were cheap, (and it's the only thing that was) - about £6 to get to Emirates Mall.
The aquarium at Atlantis is amazing, and never ceased to entertain us. The Goliath Groupers have to be seen to be believed.
The Aquadventure waterpark is great for children and dads! I found the rides far too scary, and tended to relax with a book on my sunbed instead. Also, beware, ladies, I managed to burn holes in my bikini bottom, due to the impact on landing down some of those water slides.
Another thing about the waterpark - the lockers are £10 each. I paid for two, but found we could get all our stuff into one. However, they would not refund the £10 for the locker I didn't use. This was such a rip-off, we still haven't got over it. Anyway, if you don't take valuables, you don't need a locker, you can leave your things on the sunbeds.
Would like to return to Atlantis, just need to save up first.

• Liked — aquarium and waterpark
  • Disliked — the price
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family