“Dubai or not To buy!”

Ranked #99 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
Belfast
“Dubai or not To buy!”
Reviewed October 31, 2008

This was our final stop on an amazing honeymoon and possibly I had been spoilt at this stage or even just exhausted after all the travel.
We had a delux room for four nights and I must agree with other reviewers with regards to check in. Although it was 4:30 am, we were given very little directions to our room other than the floor and were not advised with regards to breakfast (even though we had paid for it as part of the package). I had to go back down the next day and clarify what was included in our deal and what was not, i.e. breakfast, use of the water park and aquarium and, well thats it.
The rooms were big and spacious and we looked out on the Royal pool.
Staff were polite but standoff ish and the conceirge service was an absolute joke!
We ate in the french restaurant one night and the food was overpriced and bland. A glass of champagne for my wife cost £31! the bottle at home would cost about £18.
Talking about my wife, the staff could be downright rude to women and this was also encountered by our driver when picked up at the airport to be brought to the hotel - her questions were just ignored and then he expected a tip!
Would I go back to Dubai? probably, Would I go back to the Atlantis? in a word, nope!

• Liked — The magnificiant reception area
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jonathan W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,655)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
scotland
Reviewed October 30, 2008

Just back from 5 nights at Atlantis in Dubai and to be honest it's very difficult to find fault with it. Clearly there must have been teething problems just after opening but we didn't have any complaints at all.
No queues at check-in or check-out, luggage arrived within 5 minutes, no wrong charges to bill.
Lots of taxi's available at night, only a 5 min wait and £4 to Madinat, Jumeirah Beach Hotel. Bus service to Emirates Mall every hour costs 35p!!!
Rooms were large, well furnished, serviced early every day, turned down at night and staff left loads (12+) bottles of water in room at no cost. Shower was great, lots of towels.
Breakfast in Saffron was excellent and available until noon every day which meant we could go to the pool/beach and then have a late brunch in Saffron.
Restaurants were varied, steak house excellent, french brasserie average. They are expensive however Atlantis in Bahamas is expensive as well so didn't expect this to be any different. Restaurants at Madinat about 20-40% cheaper. Wine very expensive as it is everywhere in Dubai.
Pool area excellent with lots of free beds, beach good but could do with more sand however camel rides and stallion rides were novel.
Water park was great, and seemed to be appreciated by all age groups even those in their 50's.
Staff couldn't be more helpful. Lifts were hectic between 6-7pm but fine rest of the time.

Only complaint was that the Avenue (shopping area, aquarium etc) was very busy and crowded with locals just out for a look around.

Not as good as Atlantis, Bahamas, only because of the beach and Dubai is never going to have a beach to match the carribean.

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — Lifts
Kent, England
Reviewed October 30, 2008

Before we went to Atlantis last week, I had read all the reviews, and I tried to change our booking to our favorite hotel Jumeirah Beach Hotel as the reviews were so bad. I needn't have worried it was all great.

I am sure at the beginning there may have been problems, but now it is brilliant, the staff are lovely and very helpful. We arrived at the hotel after a night flight at 8.30am, fully expecting our room not to be available until 4pm (as expected) but to our surprise they gave us our room there and then! We were given a room in the West tower - after viewing it we asked if we could change to the East tower, with a view over the aquarium. Also we wanted a room with a King bed as these rooms have a balcony you can sit on - PERFECT!
We were given a single bed and a cot bed for our 2 boys, straight away.

Yes it was expensive - too much in some cases, but all 5* hotels in Dubai are a rip off. The buffets were excellent (but expensive), but can get a bit boring after a few nights, as with a lot of hotels, the hotel needs a simple restaurant offering simple salads, pasta etc for some evenings when you need a rest from the full on buffets!

The aquarium inside the hotel really has to been seen to believed! With 2 boys (6.5 yrs and 2.5 yrs) obsessed with fish it was amazing. Tricky going to breakfast as you have to walk past it each time! There is the Lost chambers (further aquariums) and Aquadventure all attached to the hotel. For non guests the entrance into these 2 would cost a family of 4 £130 per day! well worth staying at atlantis for that alone!
My family loved it. As with previous comments a few problems, the Splashers area for toddlers etc, they do not let adults down the slides, so they expect you to let your child wander of and go down slides on there own!! (wild wadi let adults go down as well) As expected they are getting a lot of complaints about that, so they may change their rules in time. The other slides are for over 1.2mts tall, I have a short 6 yr old! who was very very disappointed he could not go down any rides (somehow managed to sneak on to 2 rides with Daddy which he loved!!)
The rest of the park is BRILLIANT, much larger than Wild Wadi, cleaner, and lots more areas to sit. We spent almost all day everyday there (tip - find the pool up near Dolphin bay, next to Barracuda restaurant - much quieter.) You can find a ring and jump into the lazy river at any point, no queing etc, so much better.
We have been going to Dubai for 10yrs, mainly staying at the Jumeirah Beach hotel, which we love ... so where will we be staying next year .... still debating....

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — No little touches, ie chocolates on bed, lolly, cold towel by the pool
Lincoln
Reviewed October 30, 2008

My son and I stayed at the Atlantis for 3 nights from the 26th Oct and from the moment the taxi drew up at the front of the hotel until the minute we left we were made to feel relaxed, special and as if we were truly there to be looked after.

I had read several posts before we went which gave uncomplimentary reports so was a little apprehensive, but it took no longer than 10 minutes to check in and a room was ready for us even though we were early. We only had to ask for help once as the tv wasn't working correctly and a member of IT came straight away.

Doors were always held open, there was no or very little waiting to be seated for the fantastic buffet breakfast which has everything imaginable from around the culinary globe and we reserved a table in Seafire without any problem.

Beds were always turned down in the evening along with bottles of water and glasses left by the bedside, which was a lovely touch.

I do feel a shuttle bus taking guests onto mainland Dubai throughout the day would be helpful, at least until the monorail is working as we did feel a little isolated and the only way to see any sights was through organized tours or taxis. You did need to wait for a taxi in the evening but no more than 15 minutes. There is a shuttle service taking you to the Emirates Mall in the evening but not the return trip. This will cost you approximately AED 35

Aquaventure was great fun, the staff once again went out of their way to make sure we got sun beds and towels. If I was to find one gripe it was that we had to pay for a locker which was located at the main entrance. I would have thought there would have been some lockers located in various places around the water park so if you needed to get anything from the locker you wouldn't have to walk all the way back.

All in all we have a fantastic, wonderful stay and only wished it was for longer!

• Liked — Helpfulness of staff
Bristol
Reviewed October 30, 2008

Disney in Dubai. OK what did I like. Weather was great. Fish tank displays were fabulous but felt a bit sorry for Sammy the whale shark. Room was nice and the staff were all trying very hard to cover up the shortcomings. Very impressive lobby. Good water park but not much available for non-swimmers.

What I didn't like. Not a hotel more a resort. Much too large and far too many people, it is a very busy place. All restaurants booked up well in advance so had to take taxis to Jumeirah Beach area every night to eat - which was great when you get there. Should have stayed in a hotel in this area and would do so if I visit again. Breakfast service was either too slow in the Imperial Club or in main restaurants a bit like a school canteen, although I have to concede that the quality of food was very good.

Service generally was either slow or non existant. Generally I think that the staff were under trained or the hotel was more fully booked than had been expected.

If you don't have small children anymore you may find it irritating to be surrounded by them (sorry, I have done all that in my time and am now looking for a little serenity)

I personally would not go there again as it is not my cup of tea.

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank Christine4Bristol
Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2008

Reference the staff issue raised by some of the previous reviewers ,I found all staff to be pleasant and helpful ,this may be due to the fact that we used the words PLEASE & THANK YOU ,(some times it pays not to treat people as slaves ,and use some manners)
ROOMS, excellent
FOOD ,exceptional (especially NOBU)
CHECK IN,speedy ,and luggage delivered within 5 minutes
POOL SERVICE ,efficient ,helpful ,friendly,& when the sun went behind the hotel the staff always offered to move us to a sunnier spot ,or the beach.
AQUAVENTURE ,superb entertainment for all ages.
TAXIS ,longest wait 7 minutes (albeit after 7 pm)

All in all a great holiday ,i can sympathise with the earlier guests who were probably used as guinea pigs during the soft opening ,but i feel that this hotel will only improve over time .

• Liked — clean and large
  • Disliked — lift access
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank politepete
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed October 28, 2008

I was part of a large Conference (300 people) at the Atlantis Palms. It was their first Conference at the hotel.

If I had paid for this myself, I would have died a thousand deaths. I died for the Company paying. The huge teething problems have definitely NOT been ironed out and I would give it at least another year or so.

The hotel is typical "Sol Kerzner" to look at - not a negative statement, not dissimilar in some ways of the Palace/SunCity. Huge, over the top, making a statement, but actually the structure etc. was great.

Service is non-existent. I was there 23 to 26th October. Our room was half cleaned each day, other members of the Group did not have anyone go to their rooms at all!!! Did not even have the beds made. Mind boggling.......a 5* hotel!

The first day, none of the toiletries were replaced, the bathroom floor was not cleaned, the toilet was not cleaned (no brush provided for self-cleaning!) The second night, one side of the bed was turned down and slippers on the floor, the third night, one side of the bed turned down, NO slippers on floor!

No chocolates, rose petals (like the Palace) etc. I had to call Housekeeping every day to get the bathroom floor and shower cleaned. The rooms opposite ours were cleaned a 7 pm at night! The opening should have been delayed.

We had a Gala dinner in the Conference room and the food was excellent. The food at both Saffron and Kaleidoscope for breakfast was also excellent - in fact one of the best breakfast spreads I have seen in any 5* hotel anywhere in the world.

Saffron is better for breakfast service wise - the room is huge and resembles a canteen, but plenty of staff on hand for help.

Kaleidescope is a complete joke! Queue to get in, then no staff on hand - they bring toast, no make your own - wait forever and then bring white instead of brown. No cutlery on table, no-one to bring to you - I had to wipe my knife of smoked salmon flavour with cotton serviette to put into the butter! So, in essence, eat at Saffron. Yes, the plate will be whipped away under your nose as you are putting the last mouth full of food into your mouth, but better than ZERO service at Kaleidescope. Also more choice at Saffron.

With regards to the rooms - I think we had a standard room. The furnishings very basic - no special touches. Flat screen TV, Queen sized bed, writing table, chair and that was it. Could have been good 4* room anywhere.

The bathroom was large, but no towel hooks, NO DOOR on toilet (horrible), there is a frame for door, but they obviously decided against installing.

I moved the bathrobes off the only hook in the bathroom and placed them in the cupboard (so as to have somewhere to hang a damp towel). The next morning, two more gowns appeared on the hook. We then had 4 gowns - wander how far the housekeeping buget will go with inexperienced staff doing this. Wish I had had the guts to take the two extra gowns!!

You get two bottles of hot/warm mineral water per day - I placed them in fridge to cool. The following day, we got 9 complimentary bottles of warm water. This sounds like Faulty Towers. Had a collection of about 14 bottles by the time we left.

The lifts were beyond a joke. We stayed in the West wing which is HUGE - only 6 lifts. There was always a queue, even at 2 in the morning. Naturally after waiting 5 - 8 mins for a lift, as many people as possible would try to cram in. The doors then would not shut.............this happened all the time. Could not see any stairs anywhere - it would have been quicker to walk. Surely there should have been double the amount of lifts for such a large hotel.

On departing - we were a large group and all leaving at the same time - but remember the hotel was not full - we must have waited about 15 minutes to get an empty lift. Many people went up to go down in desperation.

We handled our own luggage without the bellboy as we would NEVER have got into a lift if we had used a trolley. No service lifts were built - seems unbelievable they did not think of this.

All in all, the hotel is still not ready to be open. Many people I spoke to were from the U.K. on opening specials. Agree, this is a good way to attempt to iron out the teething problems, but they too were disappointed.

They HAVE to sort out the Housekeeping problems - we were out most of the time and only ate at the hotel once in the evenings, so the main problem for us was not having the room cleaned (huge problem for the price paid) and the lifts. Could not get anywhere quickly. Remember we were not on a holiday and had to meet at specific times, the lift problem actually made us late for meetings.

Think, I'll stick to a great holiday in Cape Town, cheaper, better service and amazing value for money. Stayed in 3* hotels here that are better service wise.

In a year or two, the Atlantis will probably be a great place to stay.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Badly designed bathroom
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business