“disappointing”
Review of Atlantis, The Palm

Atlantis, The Palm
Ranked #120 of 563 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed October 28, 2008

went with a completely open mind, having visited dubai many many times and love it, we tried the atlantis for a shorter than normal trip. the rooms wasn't serviced for 2 days!! you are unable to get bookings in the restaurants via there reservation system, however if you go to restaurants they are only half full! the customer service is terrible, don't try to get a taxi off the palm between 5 & 7 you will be waiting for up to an hour! they have plenty of atlantis cars and they wish to charge you 215 uad when its a 40 uad at most journey!
you cannot fail to be over awed by the wonderous decor, magnifisence and scale of the place. I do wonder if they built the hotel the wrong way round! will def be back to my old fav the Le Royal Meridien for a friendly and a more personal stay with Pam and her crew!! sorry atlantis its not for me

3  Thank havepassportwilltvl
Write a ReviewReviews (17,942)

Reviewed October 28, 2008

Due to the negative reviews prior to departure we approached our stay at The Atlantis with some intrepidation. Although we appreciate that the early teething problems of no water etc must have been a pain the hotel seems to really have got its act together now one month on. The staff are all really pleasant and friendly, we had no problems at all with queuing for breakfast, booking in or any of the earlier hiccups. The quality of the food and rooms is excellent. The waterpark is great. Dont be put off give it a go. Tea at The Burj is to be recommended too.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tracgod
Reviewed October 28, 2008

We booked the Atlantis at a cost of £600 for two nights (see below for the real cost) and were utterly appalled for many reasons, which can be summarised as below. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

1) The hotel looks nothing line the photoshopped pictures online, whioch amount to nothin more than false advertising (the manager later admitted to us that they use computers to make the grass greener, add roads and building that don't exist etc. to make it look better than it does)
2) The service levels are a total disgrace. Everything they could have done wrong they did, from an inability to fix TVs and phones which kept breaking, total lack of response to any queries or requests made by phone or at the concierge, very poor levels of english, inability to direct you anywhere in or outside of the hotel given very poor knowledge levels… etc
3) Massive hidden charges with our stay, which took the bill to almost £1500 for 2 nights, including a 'service charge' added to the room bill for no reason, service charges for room service which are not mentioned in the room service menu, utterly ridiculous prices for breakfast etc (noting how far everything else is from the hotel meaning you are pretty much forced to eat there), locker charges in the water park… etc.

On the positive side, the water park is an entertaining distraction and the hotel is big and the fish are impressive. Also, add half a star (wow, 1.5 stars…) in a year or so when the hotel and the palm are finished.

However, read the other reviews and do not book here. Either pay more for a better hotel or pay 10% of the ciost for the same service elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank awayallthetime
Reviewed October 27, 2008

I shall try and keep this as short as possible!

Yes, I'm sure there were and probably still are problems at the Atlantis due to the fact there are 1539 rooms and not everyone will be happy with things that go wrong during their stay.

However, as a seasoned travellor to Dubai, and to the Jumeriah Beach Hotel, and having stayed at some of the top hotels in the world (always 5*) our experience of the Atlantis was fantastic.

Problems on prevoius reviews that we saw absolutely no evidence of :

1.Lack of taxis - every day at different times and during the evenings, there was an abundance of taxis waiting - at one point EIGHT were there just empty waiting for guests.

2. Long check in queues and lost luggage/taking a long time - on arrival, there was NO queue, and our luggage arrived at our room before we did! There was however a queue when we checked out, but I along with all the other guests had gone to check out as soon as the reminder came under our room door so I probably could have timed it better and waited a couple of hours.

3. Overcharging on checking out - this was a problem.But having read the reviews I diligently wrote down every day what we had charged to our room and could tick it off properly - they had charged us for breakfast when it was included, charged for use of minibar when we hadn't had anything, and charged twice one night for dinner - when disputed these were all removed and the bill corrected very quickly.

4. Rooms - fantastic. Better than Jumeriah Beach in quality - bathroom amazing with large walk in shower, nice touch with the doors opening from the bath area into the bedroom.

5. Kids club - yes they charge. Yes it is pricey. The main disappointment for me is that it is on the first floor and they cannot go outside. There are no supervised excursions (like you get at JBH) and also no list of activities that they can do. Basically the staff are there and the kids just hang around watching tv, on computers, doing whatever they want. However, our kids did use it a couple of times and loved it. My opinion is its their holiday as much as ours and they really wanted to try it out. But JBH much better.

6. Location - it took 15 minutes to get to the Emirates Mall, Madinat Souk etc - total cost of taxi - £ 4 ! Yes, it is not as centrally located as JBH or other hotels, but there is an exclusivity about being on the Palm, and although the rest of the Palm is still being built (and is a bit of an eyesore) it will be amazing when finished.....plenty of shopping malls, restaurants etc

7. Water park and Dolphin experience - water park is not as good as Wild Wadi in my opinion. But I have a 9 and 7 year old much better suited to the Wild Wadi rides - here at the Atlantis, there are very young toddler slides (which parents are not allowed to go on with them ?!) - and then the rides through the sharks etc which are very very scary! there are rapids etc through the river which are also rather scary - so inbetween I felt for children our age - not brilliant - we only went once. Dolphin experience - wow. We loved it. No waiting, just straight in there. I had booked this before we departed from the UK as knew it would get booked up quickly. My children have talked about nothing else since.

8. Restaurants/problems with booking/eatingfood and facilities - some of the restaurants are great - for us Kaleidoscopy and Saffron were good buffet options and Rhonda Locatelli was our favourite. Meal for 4 of us with bottle of wine £ 100. We tried the steak restaurant - what a rip off. My husband wanted chicken - it was about £ 40 ! Meal for 4 of us was £ 250 with no starters and no desserts! But you MUST visit Cold Stone icrecreamery - we ended going there for desserts most nights rather than pay at the restaurants! Cheap, extremely fun - amazing. They throw the icrecream around, sing, do dancing - brilliant for the kids and a good laugh. We encountered no problems with getting into any of the restaurants - indeed one night we just walked into Rhonda Locatelli and they had a table for us without booking! I thought we were staying there at a quiet time (9th - 19th Oct) but they told us they were 75% full) Food choice was fantastic and quality was also amazing.

9. Lifts breaking down - we had no experience of this and were not aware with other guests of any problems.

10. Housekeeping - fantastic. Our beds were changed every day - the room was cleaned really well, constant supply of free bottles of water - we were only getting 2, when there were 4 of us, but when I pointed this out, 4 appeared every day after that - refreshed toiletries as we used them, turn downs every night. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. You will not get as much of a personal touch here like JBH - no chocolates each night and no towels in shapes of animals!

11. Sunbeds/round pool area - lots of tables, yes lots of sunbeds, but there were plenty of gaps, very helpful staff, as soon as we started wandering round they appeared with plenty of towels etc. Never had any problems getting 4 together right next to the pool. The pools were great - the kids liked the zero entry pool because of the basketballs and toys in the pool. We liked the royal pool because it was cooler and had seating areas where you could sit within the water and look back at the hotel. We loved it.

12. Lost Chambers/shops etc - Lost Chambers my son loved. Lots of displays, the overall effect of the Atlantis hotel is one with the water and its done really well. The shops could be better - at the moment they are full of ridiculously expensive jewellery, clothes, handbags etc, but then there were some famous guests staying there so probably get some customers!

I am amazed by some of the comments I have read. I can only presume :

1. Most of the bad comments seem to be for the first week of opening - by the time of our stay in the 3rd week, these problems seemed to have been sorted as we encountered none of them.

2. A lot of the bad comments seem to be from people around 60 - I would say this is more a kids hotel - there are lots of children facilities.

3. As with any very large hotel like this, there will always be things that go wrong - we did order room service one night and they got the order wrong twice and we had to wait a long time - however, this did not spoil the overall enjoyment of our holiday.

4. Some comments really don't make sense - there are kids pool sections - each sun lounger has its own shade which you can adjust to suit yourself (great idea) - there are changing tents which is another great idea.

I will not comment anymore, as hopefully you get the jist! I am amazed that people have cancelled their holidays due to the bad reviews. I think they missed out on a fantastic experience.

Would I go back to the Atlantis - more than probably. It would be between the Jumeriah Beach and the Atlantis and we would probably just go with the one that was cheaper at the time.

5  Thank Lizzi29
Reviewed October 27, 2008

The comments I have read from different people are quite interesting and diverse, so my comments are based on a family with children aged 6 and 9 who is used to staying in Dubai at the Jumeirah Beach hotel.

We booked the imperial club which cost around £600 more for the week and I can say that by speaking with other people it was money well spent. Both check in and check out were very smooth and quick and the lounge for breakfast and drinks before retiring was most welcome.

The layout of the hotel is strange as where the sun sets if you are in the royal pool you are in shade early in the afternoon, but fine if you are at the childrens pool which was fine for us. The sunbeds are excellent as they each have a type of parosol which can be used or not and cabanas are there on a first come first served basis, which we did not realise until our last day unfortunately. Like at the Jumeirah beach there were plenty of life guards so I did not have the inconvenience of having to supervise my children at all times.

Reading the reviews beforehand made us book all the restaurants whilst in the UK, which on reflection was a bright idea as speaking to others who haden't they were faced woth the buffet night after night. Although far too overpriced both Nobu and Seafire were excellent and the steak fries in Seafire are superb. I was a little dissapointed with the quality of the Italian but generally the food was fine. Suprisingly though for such a large hotel, catering for families there are very few places to get a drink from in the evening with the children, which is why after dinner we went up to the lounge.

The size of the rooms and layout is first class and the bathrooms are great, but this was the part that let the hotel down as they did not have the finesse of the fine touches that the Jumeirah Beach has like the chocolates on the pillow on bed turning, no fruit or wine in the room and the total lack of toileteries. One small tube of shampoo and shower gel for 4 people is not great by any hotel standards and the toilet roll was extremely cheap and flimsy.

Due to the distance away it also not the best place to be if you want to venture out as it is quite a journey with all the speed bumps on the roads on the palm, a problem you don't have with many of the other hotels especially the Jumeirah hotels as you are a short golf buggy ride from a plethora of eating places and shops.

Back to a positive note the aquariums are spectacular to look at and the water park's rides are quite exciting but there is not enough of them which loses out on the small children front to Wild Wadi, however the big rides are superb.

The main problem which needs addressing is the quality of staff that they have had to drag in. Many staff are absolute fantastic, with great customer service skills and understanding of English and can give us lessons in England on service levels and humility. However there were just as many staff who looked and act acted disinterested and had a very poor understanding of English which caused some problems and confusion especially when ordering food and drinks. Service with a smile which you get elsewhere was not always available at the Atlantis as lack of training certainly showed. I have heard all the problems but for me this is a cardinal sin, which should have been addressed in plenty of time or had a much softer opening.

All in all after reading the reviews it was a much better trip than I anticipated and I have no doubts that there will be mass improvements to come from this hotel but to me there is a fine line between oppulance and class and at this present time the Atlantis lacks class. I am pleased I went as I wanted to experience the Atlantis, but next May I will be back at either the Jumeirah Beach or the Mina a Salam where I know I can relax and enjoy the 5 star comfort that I ma paying for.

3  Thank parismorgan
Reviewed October 26, 2008

Checked in october 23d and still here.
Nobody picked up the luggage from outside though there were several staff members watching our arrival.
Nobody showed the room. We were advised to take an elivator and to find the room by ourselves.
Very good food but no fruits in the room as they do it at Jumeirah.
And THE BEACH! It is facing the palm with its construction sites. There is no feeling that you are staying at the sea, it's only the bay that reminds a river with the opposite bank. THIS IS TERRIBLE.
Rooms are very nice.

1  Thank Marinas1
Reviewed October 26, 2008

Its a shame to even call it a resort, its a normal hotel happend to be on a amn made island!! thats all....and if they colosed their aquairum, they will bankrup in few months, since its the only thing which worth watching.
If you are a real 5 star traveller, belleive me you will be disapponted from the service and the room furniture, bathroom tiles.....etc its all the cheapest you can find in any hotel.
If they charge 100 USD ...it would have been a reasoanble stay, but with the price we paid, and the srvice and rooms we got...it is actually not ethical to take this amount of money.
We booked the imperial club, and when we asked for a fruit basket, they said you need to buy it!!!
the view is very normal.
My brother was in normal standar room, his view was even better.

3  Thank UAEFOREX