“Oppulent rather than classy”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Atlantis, The Palm

Atlantis, The Palm
Ranked #92 of 540 Hotels in Dubai
Leicester
“Oppulent rather than classy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2008

The comments I have read from different people are quite interesting and diverse, so my comments are based on a family with children aged 6 and 9 who is used to staying in Dubai at the Jumeirah Beach hotel.

We booked the imperial club which cost around £600 more for the week and I can say that by speaking with other people it was money well spent. Both check in and check out were very smooth and quick and the lounge for breakfast and drinks before retiring was most welcome.

The layout of the hotel is strange as where the sun sets if you are in the royal pool you are in shade early in the afternoon, but fine if you are at the childrens pool which was fine for us. The sunbeds are excellent as they each have a type of parosol which can be used or not and cabanas are there on a first come first served basis, which we did not realise until our last day unfortunately. Like at the Jumeirah beach there were plenty of life guards so I did not have the inconvenience of having to supervise my children at all times.

Reading the reviews beforehand made us book all the restaurants whilst in the UK, which on reflection was a bright idea as speaking to others who haden't they were faced woth the buffet night after night. Although far too overpriced both Nobu and Seafire were excellent and the steak fries in Seafire are superb. I was a little dissapointed with the quality of the Italian but generally the food was fine. Suprisingly though for such a large hotel, catering for families there are very few places to get a drink from in the evening with the children, which is why after dinner we went up to the lounge.

The size of the rooms and layout is first class and the bathrooms are great, but this was the part that let the hotel down as they did not have the finesse of the fine touches that the Jumeirah Beach has like the chocolates on the pillow on bed turning, no fruit or wine in the room and the total lack of toileteries. One small tube of shampoo and shower gel for 4 people is not great by any hotel standards and the toilet roll was extremely cheap and flimsy.

Due to the distance away it also not the best place to be if you want to venture out as it is quite a journey with all the speed bumps on the roads on the palm, a problem you don't have with many of the other hotels especially the Jumeirah hotels as you are a short golf buggy ride from a plethora of eating places and shops.

Back to a positive note the aquariums are spectacular to look at and the water park's rides are quite exciting but there is not enough of them which loses out on the small children front to Wild Wadi, however the big rides are superb.

The main problem which needs addressing is the quality of staff that they have had to drag in. Many staff are absolute fantastic, with great customer service skills and understanding of English and can give us lessons in England on service levels and humility. However there were just as many staff who looked and act acted disinterested and had a very poor understanding of English which caused some problems and confusion especially when ordering food and drinks. Service with a smile which you get elsewhere was not always available at the Atlantis as lack of training certainly showed. I have heard all the problems but for me this is a cardinal sin, which should have been addressed in plenty of time or had a much softer opening.

All in all after reading the reviews it was a much better trip than I anticipated and I have no doubts that there will be mass improvements to come from this hotel but to me there is a fine line between oppulance and class and at this present time the Atlantis lacks class. I am pleased I went as I wanted to experience the Atlantis, but next May I will be back at either the Jumeirah Beach or the Mina a Salam where I know I can relax and enjoy the 5 star comfort that I ma paying for.

• Liked — Sun Loungers and Cabanas
  • Disliked — Service
3 Thank parismorgan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,621)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Moscow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2008

Checked in october 23d and still here.
Nobody picked up the luggage from outside though there were several staff members watching our arrival.
Nobody showed the room. We were advised to take an elivator and to find the room by ourselves.
Very good food but no fruits in the room as they do it at Jumeirah.
And THE BEACH! It is facing the palm with its construction sites. There is no feeling that you are staying at the sea, it's only the bay that reminds a river with the opposite bank. THIS IS TERRIBLE.
Rooms are very nice.

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — The beach
1 Thank Marinas1
DUBAI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2008

Its a shame to even call it a resort, its a normal hotel happend to be on a amn made island!! thats all....and if they colosed their aquairum, they will bankrup in few months, since its the only thing which worth watching.
If you are a real 5 star traveller, belleive me you will be disapponted from the service and the room furniture, bathroom tiles.....etc its all the cheapest you can find in any hotel.
If they charge 100 USD ...it would have been a reasoanble stay, but with the price we paid, and the srvice and rooms we got...it is actually not ethical to take this amount of money.
We booked the imperial club, and when we asked for a fruit basket, they said you need to buy it!!!
the view is very normal.
My brother was in normal standar room, his view was even better.

• Liked — The aquarium
  • Disliked — The rooms!! and fron desk staff
3 Thank UAEFOREX
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2008

I arrived at the Atlantis completely open minded and ready to be impressed. Unfortunately, like most of the other reviewers, I was let down.

The biggest disappointment was the service. When things are falling apart around you, it makes such a difference to have a level headed employee. Unfortuantely, it seems some of the staff have not yet learned anything about hospitality.

I was taken aback when I overheard an exchange between a patron and one employee near the aquarium. The gentleman had just walked down a set of stairs and when he turned around to head back up he was denied access to the stairway because he didn't have his room key on him. I heard him politely explain he was at the top of the stairs at the bar drinking with friends. The man told him he'd have to take an alternative exit that would make him walk and an extra 1/2 mile outside the hotel to return to the cocktail bar at the top of the stairs. The man asked why no one had told him this when he walked down the stairs. The employee barked, "We don't have to tell you anything!"

I felt very uncomfortable seeing an employee shout at a customer. I understand that there are rules, but rules must make sense. More alarmingly, the employee wasn't in a hotel uniform, but a black suit and seemed to be some sort of a manager. To have a manager act this way is simply unacceptable. I also saw this employee physically shove a woman and child aside because she was waiting for her husband who had her room key to gain access to the stairs.

When a hotel is going through as many growing pains at the Atlantis and facing so many problems, you can't afford to alienate customers. Word of mouth and repeat customers is your bread and butter. From what I saw, guests rank very low on the Atlantis's priority list. This is one guest you won't be seeing again.

• Disliked — Service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank keeping_moving1
JoonyLoony
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2008

We stayed at the Atlantis for 5 nights from the 10th October. The hotel was mazing and it seems to have sorted out problems it had in the opening week.
Staff were very efficient and helpful. Rooms were spotless and daily maid service and turndown service was done.
No queues for breakfast, selection is very impressive.
The decor in the hotel is quite breathtaking, beautiful water features, grand corridors, hand painted ceilings, marble floors. Lobby is beautiful.
Aquarium is amazing. Lost chambers worth a visit, very interesting.
Aquaventure is a super water park, wasn't very busy the days we were there, so no queues for the rides.
Lovely pools and plent of sunbeds available.
The only down side for me was the beach, it was not nice soft sand and was rather uncomfortable to walk on as there were some small pieces of concrete. Because the beach is not a natural beach you don't have the waves splashing up. This is the only negative thing I have to say about the hotel. We had a fantastic holiday. I hope this will reassure some people who have already booked their holiday to this hotel. You will have a great holiday

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — nothing
3 Thank JoonyLoony
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2008

We stayed at the Atlantis for 2 Nights. I have to say that this is one of the best hotels in Dubai. 5 Star Service and a 7 Star Aquaventure Water Park.

Great Restaturants, Lovely Rooms, if you choose to stay here, take the rooms facing the Palm island. We were on the 18th Floor and we had a nice balcony with views of the Palm Island, the Dubai Marina.

The breakfast was awesome, unlimited varities, 8 chefs making eggs, 2 baking pizza's, 7 fresh juices, live pancakes and waffles, freshly baked breads, muffins and cakes...the list goes on.

We tried Ronda Locatelli and Saffron and they were great, a but pricey though, but overall we had good food and a good experience.

We didn't have any troubles at check-in or check-out, rooms were very clean and they were refreshed in the afternoons and evenings. Bathrooms were spacious and they had doors opening into the living area so that you have a bath in the tub while watching television at the same time. It was awesome.

The problems have been sorted out, everything went perfectly, we just wished we had more money to spend so that we could enjoy a few more days. Aquaventure is must visit and I think it makes Atlantis 75% interesting. The rooms, Nobu and Sammy the Shark make the rest 25% :)

I am not surprised they are sold out till February.

We would definitely stay there again and we recommend it to everyone visiting Dubai.

Go Atlantis!

• Liked — Aquanventure Water Park and The Spa
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank PunitBhatia
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2008

We went nervously to the Atlantis on 14th October 2008 for 1 week. The reports I had seen and heard were just hoffific and having spent such a large amount of money on this holiday for the 4 of us I was not looking forward to it. So here goes.....
We arrived very early in the morning and no problems checking in and the room was ready...FANTASTIC!!!
The room was beautiful with a lovely view and we also had an interconnecting room for the 2 children ... perfect. We didn't even have to ask for an interconnecting room. The staff cleaning the rooms could not have been more conscientious, could not find fault.
The rooms were turned down every night at the same time ...PERFECT.
We had no problem getting into ANY of the restaurants on site plenty of availabilty.
The food at the restaurants was beautiful, the staff fantastic and the surroundings were lovely.
The pools were great , the staff looking after the sunbeds could not have been any more helpful if they tried. Everything you needed was there for you in an instant if requested. I even hate the beach but i absolutely loved it here. It was clean and so was the sea.
Because of all the bad press we looked and searched hard to find fault with the hotel but i am afraid there were no faults at all.
The lifts never broke down, the water was free flowing as was the beer, wine and anything else you could think of.
We were dreading the buffet breakfast beacause we were told the queues were huge!!! Guess what? No queue. It just goes toshow don't listen to all the daft reports. Yes I was told by the hotel staff that the first 4 days of opening there was a problem due to the huge amount of people descending on thr hotel but they realised that it would be better to limit the use of the hotel just to residents only, therefore freeing up the restaurants etc ,, normality resumed!!!!!!!!!
To sum up
Hotel 5/5
Restaurants 5/5
Cleaniness 5/5
Staff 5/5
Location 5/5
Aquaventure 5/5
Beach 5/5
All in all for total enjoyment this holiday was perhaps the best that we have been on.

• Liked — Everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — Nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!