“Terribly overpriced, terribly disappointing”
Review of Atlantis, The Palm

Atlantis, The Palm
Ranked #110 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Having heard of the Atlantis hotel, and how fun it is supposed to be, we as a family with children stayed the last 3 nights there after staying at Kempinski @mall of the emirates earlier. It proved to be a huge mistake on our part as the hotel is overpriced and grossly overrated, especially since one can make an immediate comparison to the warm and hospitable Kempinski which we stayed the 3 nights before.

Firstly, the hotel is big and is super busy but do not have enough check in personnel at peak hours. Service is impersonal and cold. The check in staff was slow, and we were left standing at the queue for a good twenty minutes without being made welcomed.

Next up is the extra charge of an "extra bed" even though I told them my child of 14years are sharing the same bedding... But no, no, no, she is above 13 and considered an adult, hence the surcharge of AED336 per night!

The restaurants at the hotel are all pricey! and even the gift shop seeks super expensive (but actually cheap) souvenirs.

Wifi connection! That is a different story altogether! We were charged AED99 for the use of wifi for 24-hour usage, for there is no free wifi connection anywhere in the hotel. This is a total rip off, as the connection is bad and slow and intermittent. I paid for AED99 at the morning of my day of check out, but the wifi is disconnected IMMEDIATELY after I checked out at 12pm, a mere 4 hours later, even though I am still at the vicinity of the hotel having lunch and coffee thereafter!!

There is some saving grace to this place though, like certain staff are indeed helpful and friendly, but hey, for the price we pay, we expect much much much more than this.

In summary, we were really dissatisfied and disappointed and felt extremely cheated and ripped off by this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Ace228
Serge_Zaalof, President and Managing Director at Atlantis, The Palm, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I have taken good note of all your comments regarding our pricing and how your expectations were not met. Your feedback is very important to us as it enables us to understand the areas that we should focus on and improve. I wish to assure you that all the points that you have mentioned will be discussed with my team and we will do our utmost best to resolve your concerns.

I wish to thank you for your honest feedback and I look forward to welcome you again to Atlantis, The Palm.

Best regards,

Serge Zaalof
President and Managing Director

Reviewed November 11, 2013

It has taken far too long to write this review. I spent 5 nights at Atlantis in February 2013. It was not a cheap holiday, but I enjoyed every moment of my time spent here. I was spoilt having landed at the airport and was quickly whisked away in a luxury vehicle to Atlantis. I appreciated the architecture and attention to detail at this hotel. Checking in at Atlantis was smooth and hassle free. I found the staff to be attentive, efficient and friendly - as it should be at a luxury 5 star resort. One is spoilt for choice at breakfast and the quality of the food is really good. I can only fault the hotel on the furniture in the deluxe rooms, which are a bit dated. Perhaps the furniture is better in the fancier rooms?There's plenty of activities to enjoy at the resort and the aquarium is a must! The best part... the waterworld! Loads of fun and it makes you feel like you're 10 all over again! There are regular shuttles to and from the hotel to various shopping malls. Taxis are expensive and I tried to avoid using them when I could. I will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2013

There is no question about it, this is a magnificent hotel, but there is something missing. Having previously stayed here soon after it opened some 4 years ago, and then staying at the Jumerah Beach Hotel we can not pinpoint why it's not as good as the latter. The service is superb, it is clean, has an excellent location - all you really need in a hotel, but it just doesn't have the perfection that one craves when paying a lot of money at a hotel. It may be that at times it resembles a beachfront hotel in Majorca, with hundreds of towel clad pool/beach bound residents mulling about?
That is possibly being very hard on the hotel, as they did absolutely nothing wrong - it just didn't give me that wow factor, although the Imperial club membership was fantastic.

Room Tip: We were allocated a Imperial Club room (without realising) and boy, was it worth it. We had a separa...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank daitanic
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Just returned from a weeks break in Dubai with the family and had an absolutely fantastic time. This hotel is a must see even if you are just visiting Dubai and staying somewhere else, it has everything. I have stayed in many places around the world and can honestly say there are not many (if any) that left me jaw droppingly speechless as I approached reception - a truly magnificent sight to see. Check in was quick and the concierge could not do enough for us - very impressed. Interconnecting rooms were great, each restaurant (there are several) had a great choice of top quality food with service to match. We had free entrance to the water park as part of the package and spent many an enjoyable hour there. Just a quick ride on the golf buggies that run up and down all day, all so very easy. My daughters birthday when we were there so booked in for a swim with the Dolphins (again, this is just a short ride away) and had a great experience with very helpful and kind staff running it all. Hard pushed to find any faults at all - go there!

Room Tip: Stay in the East Tower!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DavidS19
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at Atalntis for 4 night on the way home from Europe.
From the moment that you enter the amazing entance area, you can't help but be impressed by the fantastic service. The food in all of the restaurants is great. The pools are impeccably clean and the water park and rides are brilliant. We absolutely loved the Aquarium and all of the unique ares where you can view the fish. Expore the whole building when you are there, you'll find new treasures every day. A tip for the pool and w/park areas, get some wetshoes so that you can walk on the very hot concrete in between rides. The breakfast buffet sets you up for a whole day of adventure. We stayed on The Club level. It's worth paying the extra, the staff there are the best that we have come across anywhere!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi all
This is the 4th trip to Dubai, and 3rd hotel we have stayed in within the Jumeirah resort, and it has a very different ambience to the Mina a Salam or the Al Qsar in that there are definitely more children and the personal attention is nowhere near the same.
My husband and I spent 2 entire weeks at the Atlantis, and to be honest I don’t think that after all that time any of the staff recognised us or knew anything about us. This was the most disappointing outcome of the holiday to be honest as having a conversation with someone on more than one occasion is what we like about going on holiday – if you are similar, then don’t go here. Most people keep very much to themselves and it certainly doesn’t seem to be the place where you will meet up with other couples, or form any friendships.

IMPERIAL CLUB
We were fortunate to be offered an upgrade free of charge to the Imperial Club – and whilst you may think this is good value, I’m not so sure I can agree. Granted you could visit at most times of the day for a cool drink / fruit / afternoon tea etc. but I would hate to have purchased this myself as it was definitely not value for money. Perhaps however if you had children it would be worth it considering as soft drinks / water are (as in any other hotel we have stayed in) £5.00 per drink? It’s important to keep everyone hydrated, therefore consider briefly the cost for 6 rounds of drinks for a family per day costing the equivalent of £5.00 each – maybe you might come close to the price of the imperial club? Drinks are free in the Imperial Club – as is everything else there.

ROOMS – WITH A VIEW or not?
Check-in was good and the room was ready – beautiful room with a mind-blowing view and all the usual amenities. Hopefully those thinking of staying here will already know that an inland view provides a lovely view with plenty to see, as opposed to a sea view – no beach out that way or much change on the horizon as this hotel is at the furthest point of the palm (and out at sea)….. So no coast line etc. PLEASE don’t make the same mistake as so many others seemed to!! It might seem so obvious to some of us, but obviously not to all.

FOOD + DRINK
There was an abundance of restaurants to choose from and each one which we sampled was excellent. Some cost extra, but there are many you can use your vouchers at for no extra cost – whilst there weren’t explained to us at check-in there is documentation in the room wic provides the necessary information… it takes time to get through, but is worth it to have variety (especially if staying for a lengthy period of time). Saffron (Asian buffet - excellent); Seafire (steaks) great - though some people near us didn't get served until we finished our dinner (and they sat down before us!); Kaleidoscope - as usual, you can't go wrong; Locatelli - really good - had a great atmosphere and the Italian food was really well presented and served (my favourite). There is no doubt that the restaurants are over-priced – but then – it’s a captive market if you stay here as the area surrounding the hotel has nothing to offer. To dine elsewhere you need to leave the hotel and the Palm area – so transport and time are important resources, though we felt taxi journeys were very reasonable…… given the length of the journeys which must be made!

You do need to remember to reserve your evening meal though if you plan to dine at the Hotel, and if you forget then you can face a lengthy and at times entertaining queue – some folks (hotel guests) were quite without patience too. Drinks are not cheap and wine is pretty expensive. The bars within the hotel are not busy, though that’s not a surprise considering!

THINGS TO DO?
The buildings themselves boast some great architectural features from the inside out. The wonderful giant aquarium is wonderful and worthy of several visits (free of charge to us possibly because of the Imperial Club membership)? And the subjects in the Lost Chambers aquarium spread an atmosphere of enchantment.
The Water Park is huge, but pricey unless entrance is included in your package. The grounds are extensive too, though whilst we were there it was almost too hot to see everything unless a little every day.
Shopping within the hotel is extremely pricey – I don’t think there are many of us who would actually purchase anything whilst staying in the hotel – or unless you have an ever ending supply of dirhams! Not for us though – lots of bling and designer labels. We did buy 2 unusual paintings though needless to say they aren’t very big.

CLEANLINESS + SERVICES
Can’t fault either …except for the price! Rooms were well cleaned and maintained. Both bathroom and shower in room along with toilet (naturally) with bidet. Toiletries replenished and towels too – on a daily basis; as were the teas /coffee etc.
Bathrobes and slippers; turn down service with designer shaped towels (the norm in all hotels we have used to date) and few English channels on T.V.

WOULD WE STAY AGAIN?
Once was plenty, though enjoyable with pristine beaches and areas to relax. Missed friendly faces to chat with so could be a little lonely despite the thousands of people!

Room Tip: The higher up on the inland side the better the view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Valtpal
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Like another reviewer I have mixed views about this hotel. We stayed 26/10/13 to 2/11/13, a family of 2 adults and 2 kids. After an extremely slow check in we upgraded to Imperial Club. We wish we had gone HB as the snacks were poor and who wants to be tied to going back to the Imperial Lounge for food during the day. On one occasion, the manager (I presume) of the ground floor lounge was extremely rude to my children as we had come straight from the waterpark and their clothes were damp. He glared at them the whole time we were there, it was embarrassing and uncomfortable to say the least.
The staff are extremely hard working, 2 members of staff made lovely towel animals for our kids- a nice touch. My husband struggled to get breakfast on our first day and was turned away and told to go elsewhere. At the other restaurant he was told they were too busy too but he refused to leave and eventually was served.
We learned that if we queued we would be left standing all day as other travellers did not deem it necessary! This completely put us off, and we ended up taking a taxi to Dubai Mall instead of the shuttle. If you intend going to Burj Kalifa, make sure you book online in advance, it's 150 AED each or you can pay an eye watering 400 AED for immediate entry.
The hotel was spotless but we could never get a sunbed and annoyingly, realised that often they had towels on but weren't actually used.
There are lots of pluses about this hotel, the cleanliness, the novelty factor, the aquarium, the waterpark etc as noted by many others, but they really need to overhaul the check in process and the food choices in the Imperial Club.
One final thing, I think the hotel should have provided cool drinks, fruit, water, cool towels etc near reception for those arriving. It's a simple touch but a most welcome one.

Room Tip: Views of the Waterpark and across to Burj al Arab are more interesting
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ginsher

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

Whilst I am glad to read that you had enjoyed the facilities and activities in the resort, I sincerely apologise that your Imperial Club experience did not meet your expectation. Please be assured that we are constantly innovating on our products and services to continually offer our Imperial Club guests with more amazing experiences. As an example, we have opened a second Imperial Club lounge in the West Tower to provide a more exclusive experience. With regards to inappropriate behavior that was displayed by one of our colleagues that you have mentioned have been taken on board and will be addressed accordingly.

I have taken note of your comments regarding your check-in experience suggestion, shuttle buses availability, more food variety in Imperial Club lounge and sunbeds availability at the pool and please be assured that my team will diligently look at various options to resolve your concern.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back at Atlantis, The Palm.

Best regards,