“Lives Up to Expectations”
Review of Atlantis, The Palm

Atlantis, The Palm
Ranked #99 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lives Up to Expectations”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Just returned from a great stay at Atlantis. Echo everyone else's comments about the excellent facilities. Some things to consider:

Atlantis is right at the end of the Palm, so be prepared to take taxis whenever leaving the hotel (although they are relatively cheap). The speed bumps are frustrating, all down the Palm trunk.
The Monorail takes you to the start of the Palm, but you then need to get a taxi to go anywhere else, including the Metro station! (people don't walk anywhere in Dubai due to the heat and lack of paths)
The food/drink is expensive as they have a captive audience.
No free WiFi, not even in the public areas (so no 5 star rating from me)

However, iconic location/building, friendly staff, good water park, excellent aquarium.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the aquarium, which was interesting.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,654)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Alba iulia
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Atlantis hotel is one of the most beautiful places in Dubai. I enjoyed very much being here.
It's a huge hotel with everything you could ever want, from Starbucks coffee, huge aquariums, big swimming pools, dolphin adventure, enormous watermark, good food to Tiffany jewelry.
We had a Ocean Deluxe Guest room with ocean view, which was very nice, clean, well equipped and quite big.
There is a very good choice of restaurants, for example, in the morning I advise you to go at Saffron, which is in the West tower, because there is not as crowded as Caleidoscope for example and the food is very good.
The beach restaurants ( The Shore and The Edge) are also great with good food and drinks.
One night we booked a table at Ossiano, which is the most elegant restaurant in the hotel and also very nice decorated. There you can have dinner near a wonderful aquarium.
I highly recommend you the royal swimming with dolphins, which is an unforgettable experience. Another great thing is that hotel guests have full access to the water park and Lost Chambers, which are a must if you go in Dubai.

Also, were some things which I disliked like:
- kids screaming and running all over the place
- the concierge department is always very crowded and you have to wait a lot at the line
- and a thing which annoyed me most was the fact that when we arrived at the hotel we left a deposit of 1000 $ ( 3000 DHS) and when we checked out we payed the bill separately (because we were told so) and they assured us we'll get our money back within 7 days. Unfortunately this thing never happened and we are in 23 March. (I have to mention that I was at Atlantis one month ago). Also I send them an e-mail and they didn't border to answer me.

All in all, I had a great week, here in Dubai, at Atlantis, and I strongly recommend this hotel, especially for families with kids.
P.S( I have to mention that I visited Dubai in the middle of February and the weather was perfect).
I hope you will find this review useful :)

Room Tip: We had a great room in East Tower at 16 floor, and from there the view was gorgeous!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Theodora P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The bit of the holiday that had a cloud over it was the bookings. We ( 3 adults and 3 children) arrived at 3 in the morning. The hotel only had a room reserved for 3 people. This took about an hour to sort out. We did not get our half board vouchers when we checked in, and the hotel did charge us for our breakfast. We eventually got these charges removed after the hotel had sorted the error in the booking between them and British Airways. Based on this, and our run-ins with the front desk, I was not entirely impressed on the first day. Most other services were excellent apart from this. Surprising since this is the first contact a traveller has with the hotel so you would think they could get this right.

In the restaurant my wife decided to go early for breakfast. When we arrived, five minutes later, we ensured that the staff were aware we were together and breakfast was included in the package. Despite assurances, we were charged.

When we corrected errors on bill it took three or four attempts either standing at reception or phoning them. A few times we were told things were sorted, only to find that they were not. Some of the billing errors were not sorted till the very last day despite people telling us they were.

Even when we departed the front desk recommended we book taxis - the concierge would not book them as he said there was no need. The last bit is minor, but was the last example of a few similar issues we had with staff at reception. Also always seemed that the reception had queues.

These little and ongoing niggles took the gloss of few days of our holiday. A classic example of poor service coming in the way of what should have been a holiday of a lifetime.

However, other than the service, this is possibly the best hotel / resort I have ever stayed in.

Everything is to the highest standard. You will be blown away by the design, the finishes and displays, the indoor aqurium, the glass tree, the shops, the number and quality of the resuraunts (all except the burger place - they could learn a lot from the low end bugler places about what a hamburger should look and taste like). I would particularly recommend the main (oriental themed) resturaunt and the ice cream parlour.

We went half board - I cannot recommend enough this option if you have not got money to burn. This gives you free access to the breakfast buffet (superb - though sweets and chocolates for kids is not a sensible breakfast choice) and a voucher that can be redeemed for lunch or dinner.
Because of the kids we opted for the excellent buffet most night- the choice is huge. However, my favourite restaurant was the one on the beachfront ( which is also a concert venue).

The attached water park alone justifies staying there. The leap of faith - a sheer 60 m drop - is scary. The first time I have used water slides that travel up - worth remembering if you want to avoid the stairs. As most of the rides require donuts, on our second visit they ran out so some water park visitors were getting irate in the afternoon.

The swimming pools and water park almost make the beach redundant. I particularly liked the number of lifeguards on duty - my son is still not a confident swimmer.

Once there you have to use the resort shops - like all good hotels you end up paying resort prices. I would recommend buying drinks in duty free when you arrive at the airport and using the room fridge.

There is a mono rail that links to the metro - we visited the malls and the overall journey took about an hour. The monorail does not link directly to the metro so you have to take a taxi - you cannot walk!

It is worthwhile using taxis as they are relatively inexpensive - £20 from the airport and £16 from the largest Dubai mall with the tallest tower in the world! If you visit the Burj Khalifa book in advance - saves you a lot on entrance fees (£15 compared to £40 from memory).

Also visit downtown Dubai - a stark contrast to the "posh" tourist areas. I have friends who lived there and they recommended getting some " replica" watches from here - whole experience in the area was different and very good. You also realise the contrast in living conditions and costs. Ended up buying a replica for £50 after a lot a haggling.

So overall I think this trip is worth doing. I would go again if the Atlantis hotel package was discounted from the "normally" price. Dubai is certainly now my winter sun destination of choice.

Room Tip: We got a room facing the main coast line - the views in the evening were amazing. The higher you go...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sao Miguel, Portugal
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Atlantis: huge hotel, huge impressive building, indoor aquariums, shops. restaurants, waterpark, beach, disco. Well, is everything you expect from it to be and thats great! Don´t go thinking on calm romantic hotel. It is a family hotel, with noise and kids, but thats the big fun of it. I loved it as it was cause that´s what I wanted from it and for once I stayed at the iconic Palm in Dubai.

Room Tip: choose an upper floor room facing Dubai´s skyline.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joanadecq
San Francisco
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Having visited Dubai on numerous occations we decided to try the Atlantis and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The size of the hotel is on a mass scale and was unsure if it would deliver on service etc but found regardless the size everything was perfect. The staff can not do enough for you always smiling and happy to help with anything. The biggest benifit of this hotel is the unlimited use of the waterpark and the aquarium which is fantastic and it's available day and night!!! There is a very good choice of restaurants within the hotel esp the seafire steakhouse and nobu, the Nasimi beach is also a great place to be for nightlife on a weekend. I would highly recommed swimming with the dolphin as a treat as this was a fab experience and when staying at the hotel you get discounted rates. Overall a fantastic hotel and would definitely return in the near future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bex49
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I had a nightmare as the hotel did not process the visa for my nanny.For some reason they ignored our email.They then denied responsibility and did nothing whatsoever to help.Our trip has been ruined,This hotel is a disgrace and i would recommend that everybody should stay away from such a heartless uncaring place.This is by far the worst service experience i have ever had.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank markwlugano
Bolton
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Everyone at some time in their life should go to visit this hotel as it is absolutely awesome! The sheer size of this hotel is breath taking as is the attention to detail. The buggy bus takes you from one end of the resort to another. The water park is fabulous especially as a guest you don't have to pay! The pool areas can get really busy so we chose to go onto the beach each day. There is a varied selection of restaurants and bars and even though they have excellent standards they are expensive - but you are in Dubai!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family