“Great, except for...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #91 of 544 Hotels in Dubai
Fountain, Colorado
“Great, except for...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Atlantis the Palm has long been on the list of places we have wanted to visit. So, this year, we decided to take the plunge.

We reserved our room online. The Internet site is fairly painless and straightforward. We booked an "Imperial Club" room with Twin Queen beds. A week after booking, we received an email from Atlantis for all of our particulars: Would you like a newspaper? Would you like airport transportation? Would you like this, that or the other? It was a nice touch.

I reserved airport transportation. Or, at least I thought I did. After clearing Customs at Dubai Intl, and exiting the terminal, I looked around and...no Hotel bus or van. My wife asked, "I thought they were going to pick us up?" I thought so as well. Instead of hanging around and complaining about it, we opted for a cab. 60 Dirhams later, we're at the Atlantis.

It is a HUGE building. We arrived at night and the drive up was very imposing. Flood lights, lit fountains, etc. The building is tastefully colored in Tropical Pink with a touch of Arabic design. Walk inside the HUGE lobby and you're greeted by an enormous glass scuplture that seems to climb toward the ceiling. Interesting. And PEOPLE EVERYWHERE! What seemed like hundreds of people walking in all directions. The noise of conversation was a bit overwhelming. If you're coming here for privacy...forget it. This is a resort...not a hideaway.

We were met by a very efficient bellman, who escorted us over to the Imperial Club check-in. Their "lobby" had a mansion feel to it -- heavy furnishings, large desks, tapestries on the wll, and staff dressed in Indian semi-formalware. A quick check-in, and we're headed upstairs to the 12th floor. Our bellman gave us the grand tour -- showed us the Imperial Club with free breakfast and tea time and snacks, and once inside the room, he pointed out all of the "Features & Benefits". Don't forget Happy Hour between 6-8pm. The Cosmopolitans are not that bad...

Our room was what we asked for -- twin queens, large bathroom, large bathtub, and a walk-in shower with a rainfall shower head. Nice! Plenty of room. And, quiet. We could not hear anything once the door was closed. The beds were a bit soft, but comfortable. Plenty of towels in the bathroom. We had even forgot to bring a hairbrush and toothpaste. The staff brought us the items almost as soon as we called. Atlantis doesn't use those annoying "Privacy Please" door hangars. Instead, it's electronic. Push a button on the wall just inside the door, and a "Do not Disturb" sign lights up outside.

After dumping the bags, we went exploring. The centerpiece of the hotel itself is an aquarium that has to be 500,000 gal+ with plenty of rays, skates, sharks, groupers, etc. We even watched a group of divers in the tank attempting to hang a wedding celebration banner. They hung it upside down and didn't realize it until after they got out of the tank. LOL! Wandering around, we found a lot of high-end stores selling overly-priced jewelry and clothing. Want a simple Starbucks? Forget it. Not inside. You have to go out into the waterpark to find one. Inside the hotel, it's all Ritzy coffee shops.

Oh, did I mention people? We arrived on the weekend and barely had enough room to walk down the hallways! And, at night, the groupies dress the part -- elegant and sheer with jewels and haircuts to match. I felt out of place in blue jeans and a T-shirt.

Through it all, there was the staff -- helpful, courteous, polite, etc. They really make the place shine. The waterpark is a waterpark. Not much you can say there. We went to the Dolphin Bay and played with the Dolphins. Great fun and educational.

My one complaint: The food. It sucked. Our booking included a free breakfast. Since we had 2 young kids with us, going to any nice place to eat was out of the question. We had to settle for the buffets. LOUSY. Plenty of food, yes. But, quality wise? NOPE. They are feeding a lot of people. (I did mention the people, didn't I?) So, they have to go quantity over quality. And, sadly, it shows. I was happy to actually go into Dubai City just to get something decent to eat. Atlantis is a place where you won't starve. But, you won't walk away saying, "That was the best meal I've had in a while." Don't expect 5-star food here. Walk in expecting "Days Inn" or "Holiday Inn Express" and you won't be dissappointed.

On the whole, we enjoyed our stay. My wife wants to come back, and I think we will maybe in a year's time. When we do visit again, we will bring someone to entertain the kids. Maybe then, the food won't be an issue.

I give the place 4-stars based upon the staff. They really treated us well.

3 Thank Davespilot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,578)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Midland Uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is a very serious first class hotel, where the service and standards are second to none. The hotel stands majestically at the top of the palm island and can be seen for miles.
The standards of the rooms are first class with all the facilities you require including fridges tea making facilities iron and board FREE internet shower gels soaps …. In fact everything you need Just bring our toothbrush and comb!!
Rooms are cleaned every day and the beds are also changed daily , ice is put in your ice bucket each night and there is free water ( in bottles ) for you every day or free hot drinks in the cabinet
The views are fantastic and the food is the best I have ever experienced especially in the Saffron restaurant where there is food from all corners of the world at a very high standard
Don’t worry about formality , this is also a hotel for families and children ….especially those who want to enjoy the huge 45 acre water park with its dolphins fish and the underwater world of Atlantis
The spa is a marvel to see and enjoy , yes it’s a little pricey but for a 2.5hour massage for £146 I thought was good value …. However the big problem is the sales for recommended products after the experience as they are very very expensive … Its not pressure sales so its easy to say no , just make a note of the suggested product and buy it from QVC at at least 150% less than their costs.
Drinks are chargeable at the evening meals even for water so if you are on a budget be aware saying this considering internet is free, courtesy transport is free (and some of the trips are far) and the service you get is second to none . I don’t think this is unreasonable
In all one of the best holidays we have ever had and would rate this as being a SIX star hotel and well worth a stay here just for the experience
We travelled with Emirates and booked through travel bag , but you may find others that offer deals
Be aware it can be hot we were there in September and it was 44 degrees and had we had gone earlier it reached a staggering 56 … Obviously the hotel and the rooms are air conditioned as well as transport shopping malls and taxis etch . and I didn’t have an issue moving around . It’s a very safe city as well so don’t worry if you get lost a bit you will be ok and easy find a taxi ( and its very cheap) to get you back If you want it cooler than travel Nov Dec or early in the year when it drops to a pleasant 26 ( so we were told)
This was a special occasion as it was my birthday and to celebrate we booked lunch at the al Arab 7 star hotel ( famous for its sail roof and commanding position) . This was really really good Ok it was £86 pound each BUT we had fresh lobster , cavier from around the world, king prawns beef chocolates and to top it all a solid chocolate birthday cake with compliments from the hotel . It was that good I would do it again …The views are just incredible and the hotel is unbelievable …. ( You only live once ) … You must however book in advance as you cannot access this hotel without prior arrangement
The shopping malls are also brilliant they are so clean and so large the main shopping centre is the size of 12 football pictures so it’s a day job to look around … Very good for the ladies with great fashion shops and shoes so husbands be warned …. But it is still god fun to look … I went into a jewellers to ask about a watch and was informed the one I liked started FROM £440,OOO pounds !!
Don’t worry I didn’t buy it …and there are many other shops selling watches from £10 so don’t be put off . It’s just fun to look and enjoy … Food is excellent in the malls and you will find a variety of outlets to meet any of your tastes at reasonable prices there is even a subway and Mc donalds for those quick drinks and eats …
Well worth a visit and stay in Dubai …..Highly recommended

Room Tip: The higher you are the better the view over Dubai
3 Thank Quovadis
wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I vistited for a week 20th to 27th September 2012 with my husband and two children aged 8 and 12.Thanks to my fellow trip advisor contributors I had read hundreds of reviews so I knew what to expect regarding drinks prices, choice of restaurants on half board etc. Best tip : Buy duty free in the airport in Dubai for a tipple in your room.
The Atlantis is very large and grand and the staff are very friendly. I felt very comfortable and secure in the resort. We also had a chocolate treasure chest delivered to the room as it was our wedding anniversary which was a nice touch. The rooms are spacious but are not 5 star.
There are lifeguards every 20metres in the waterpark so it's very safe. Most of them would talk to the children as they passed by. However I agree with Sabrina S you can get bored with the waterpark after a few days. I would also have liked to have had some family entertainment in the evening as apart from going for a meal and a walk around the aquarium there was little else to do in the evening. I was also disappointed that I didn't have my requested palm/city view but ended up with a sea view which was quite boring to look at !

For anyone thinking of going I would say ignore the negatives but be prepared to feel cut off from the rest of Dubai. I am returning to Dubai next year but will be booking a hotel in the jumeriah beach area.

Room Tip: Palm city view, the sea view is boring
5 Thank cezaWales
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I couldn't ask better service, the hotel is so big and so many guest but all the staff are toooo friendly and made me feel more than special, you need at least two full days to see everything.... The Breakfast was the best i have had in my life.....THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Rodado
Abu Dhabi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We went here for our annual summer weekend break, it was our fourth or fifth visit, and overall it was still great fun! The water park is great, especially for children. We opted for the Visa card special that included an AED 800 voucher for dinner, good at three restaurants (not Nobu), as well as buffet breakfast. The food and service was great in all the restaurants - Italian for dinner, Saffron for breakfast, and Keliedoscope for lunch, tons of variety and top quality.

The rooms are very nice, spacious and well maintained.

The one problem we had was at check-in. It was a busy weekend and the lines were very long, and after waiting about 20-30 mins, we were told that our rooms were not ready. We could go use the water-park, but had to walk into the luggage storage area, find out bags, get our swimgear, and then change in small room off to the side of the lobby - a huge inconvenience and hassle for sure! So if you plan a trip, try to avoid busy weekends as they stuggle at handling the crowds!

Otherwise, it was a great stay!

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have just returned from a nine day break staying at 'Atlantis'. The one word we used all the time 'AMAZING'. This hotel has been reviewed so many times and probably has one of the highest scores for excellent and I can add little to that. Everything was just better than we expected. The staff are so helpful, friendly and have a great knowledge of the area. The Concierge will get whatever information you want.

So much has been written about the food and drink and all I can add is, whatever you do get the half board vouchers they will save you a lot of money, but beware they cannot be used in all the restaurants on site. Our room on the 10th floor facing the ocean of the West tower was immaculate and quiet even during the all night beach party.

Taxis are available 24/7 from the front of the hotel and are cheap to use just be aware that the majority of the drivers are Indian / Pakistani which isnt a problem except for some thier english was very limited and we had a problem explaining where we wanted to go but getting one of the front of house staff to explain where you want to go can be the best option as they all appear to be multi lingual.

We learnt quickly travelling in Dubai can be easy and cheap get the free shuttle bus from the hotel to 'Mall of the Emirates' from there use the Dubai Metro to get around all the announcements are in English its clean, fully air conditioned and the tickets that cost just a couple of pound each can also be used on the buses, great value. The Metro line at present does not got to Atlantis.

At Atlantis make the most of the water park its complimentary to guests and makes a great day out. Service on the beach is as good as in the hotel. I have never been offered complimentary sunglasses cleaning anywhere before.The beach bars offer the best value for 'happy hour' drinks 5pm - 7pm daily.

Dress code is certainly not enforced and you can feel sorry for people who have dressed for dinner sitting on a table next to people who are in shorts & T shirts thety are strict on beachwear not being allowed.

Room Tip: The East Tower is more central to all the hotel facilities. The West Tower with an Ocean faceing roo...
1 Thank KVS79
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

My partner and I returned just over a week ago from the most fabulous two week stay at the Atlantis. Without question this has been a holiday of a lifetime for us. From the moment of arriving to the day we left the whole experience and service was incredible. (I have high standards, am quick to find fault and have been fortunate enough to stay in some great places). This is my fourth time to Dubai but my first at the Atlantis- I was blown away!

Yes the Atlantis is big and there is enough to do to keep you entertained for longer than the average stay- if you’re wanting intimate this hotel isn’t the one for you but I doubt that there are many in Dubai that meet such criteria. In two weeks we didn’t get chance to do everything! It would be a shame to spend all your time in the hotel as the country has so much to offer and getting around by Dubai taxi is so cheap. Highlights for us included the fountains, amazing golf courses, Burj Khalifa Cara Jewellers, Dubai Mall- this list goes on BUT you could quite easily never have to leave during your time if that’s what you wanted.

Back to the Atlantis- Our room wasn’t ready when we arrived following an overnight flight from the UK, yet despite being tired, 24 weeks pregnant it was all ok, it’s clear on the website when you can and can’t check in- so we were expecting this. Staff were polite explained the situation and that it would be ready as soon as possible. We headed for breakfast and just as we were finishing a member of staff actually took the time to come and find us and tell us our room was ready! Our expectations were surpassed- we were in our room by 11am. If we hadn’t managed to get in this early we had put in swim stuff and shorts at the top of the case so we could just grab them and go to the beach and our day wasn’t wasted by waiting.

The room was breathtaking, the biggest bath and bed I have ever seen and so very clean and comfortable. Lovely balcony, pool views, nice touch of magazines, newspapers, fruit, and water, animal shaped towels in them. Serviced every time you left the room! Staff almost too attentive- they seemed to know everytime you were in and came and asked to see if they could do anything to help!

The hotel was busy, the foyer impressive and was also great for people watching and plenty of staff around to help point you in the direction of where to go but it doesn’t take long to soon get your bearings despite the size of the place. Even though we were told that the hotel was near capacity, it didn’t by any means feel too busy, it wasn’t overcrowded. The giant fish tanks in the East Tower something else- I didn’t realise such a range of fish existed! We sat an had a coffee in the little cafe area one day- now that was an experience- don’t ask me what the coffee was like I can’t remember I was just mesmerised with what was going on around me. Not every day you drink a coffee with a shark swimming in front of you. People comment that there are lots of children and families- this isn’t something that we were particularly aware of- in our experience there was a mixture of everyone- couples old and young, groups, families, single travellers.

We preferred to go use the beach only because we used an extra bed in the shade all the time to ensure that I didn’t overcook baby! We used the Royal Pool regularly- it’s no more than a 2 minute walk from the beach to the pool- so for us it was the best of both worlds as the sea wasn’t that cooling. There are as many towels as you wanted iced face cloths, ice lollies and great drinks service. Simply perfect!

The range of places to eat and drink is impressive and each of them is very different, there is something for everyone. People on here talk how expensive the food and drink is but in our experience if you’re sensible and don’t eat 3 huge meals a day, it really isn’t that bad and the quality and portion sizes of everything we had was very good. If you want to sit at a bar all day and drink then yes you will spend more money but it’s not as extortionate as people make out. In our experience it was no more expensive as it is on a skiing holiday. We tended to eat in the hotel one night and out of the hotel the next.

Imperial Club
Like others say on here, the Imperial Club is a real positive, with a range of lovely fresh fruit, snacks, sandwiches, cakes and scones, soft drinks throughout the day and alcohol early evening. Some evenings meant that we didn’t have dinner as we were more than satisfied with a few nibbles. Very attentive staff, regional newspapers, laptops for use etc. A great place to take an hour out from the the sun during the day!

Breakfast
We ate at both Saffron and Kaleidoscope for breakfast. On some mornings we had to queue to be seated but for no more than 5 minutes. The amount of choice and selection of foods was just jaw dropping. Staff were always keen to serve despite being very very busy- you never had to queue for food. The fresh fruit, range of cereals and breads and pastry were a real winner. There was every type of hot food you could imagine if you wanted to have full hot breakfast every day.

Pool Menu
Not a huge selection but what there was- was great- the portion sizes more than generous. You could quite easily share! The Club sandwich a personal favourite. Nothing was too much trouble- my partner wanted something from the menu at The Shore, whilst I wanted to eat from the pool menu. Easily sorted and staff keen to make sure that we were happy.

Ronda Locatellis
We ate here on two occasions- both very very nice. Not overpriced, good value, good service and nice atmosphere. Delicious pizza’s, nice selection of breads with to start with- easily replaced the need for a starter!

Asia Republic
We met friends here for lunch one day and decided to try something a little bit different. Take advice from the staff who work there, they are very knowledgeable. Food was just gorgeous- we ran out of time but would have loved to eat there again. They say the best things come in small packages- despite being one of the smaller places to eat- it was one of the best for us!

Saffron
We had a voucher to eat here one night- and couldn’t believe the choice on offer- what a place- who knew such foods existed! Food from every place you could possibly imagine- you cannot help but be impressed with it. Think Roast dinner with all the trimmings to the weird and wonderful offered in Asia and everything else in-between. The range of desserts was unreal. Great value and a real experience. Staff are on hand to help you with choices if you’re overwhelmed! It is a busy restaurant so I’d advise booking.

Seafire
What can I say- this has got to be the best steak I have ever eaten if not the best meal I’ve ever had-and we’ve been lucky enough to eat in some very nice restaurants! It was recommended to us by several people and were they right. So good we managed to go back for a second time. Simple choices but very very effective- not all of these fancy ranges you can get in some restaurants. We met friends for dinner and asked the waiter for their recommendation for starters- all I can say is that it was like food theatre and certainly an experience- who knew you could deliver a prawn cocktail, calamari, Scallops and Carpaccio Beef the way they did. Delicious also! When it came to the main meal, they were very keen to ensure that my steak was good appropriately with me being pregnant. The recommendations were right- the best steak we have ever eaten with all of our party in agreement! Again side dishes- not too many of them but what there was were just gorgeous. Dessert- the cheesecake has got to be compulsory! This place is somewhere you must visit- not extortionately expensive and certainly a very memorable experience

We were fortunate enough to be able swim with Dolphins- a great experience and one that was certainly on my bucket list. Frustrating that you’ve got to pay for photos on top which aren’t actually that great a quality shot. A suggestion may be that in with the price you get a 4 X 6 photo- instead you pay for a big photo which is really too big for most people. It was quite gimmicky but take all that away, the actual experience of swimming with the dolphins was one of the many highlights we had during our stay.

Overall I cannot say enough about this place, it’s got something for everyone, we went as a couple enjoying our last holiday before our life changes for ever as our first child arrives. Our experience exceeded all expectations- we will certainly at some point be back and have already recommended to our family and friends that it’s certainly well worth a visit!

2 Thank Thegirlthatreviews