“Convenient but Shabby” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #295 of 544 Hotels in Dubai
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Convenient but Shabby”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed at the Movenpick on Salahuddin road, but had to move to Star Metro due to non availability of rooms at the Movenpick (over holiday season).
Initially we were really happy as we got a one bedroom suite which was spacious but everything went downhill from there on. The service and the way things are done was shabby to say the least.
1. Our room was actually a twin room converted to a King room- which meant that the Master switch for the apartment is located in the middle of the headboard with a lot of accidental turning off of lights and turning on of the "Do not disturb switch"
2. On requesting an extra hand and bath towel the housekeeping staff refused saying it's not allowed- but eventually grudgingly provided these on my insistence.
3. Terrible water pressure in the shower
4. poor drainage in bath tub
5. Housekeeping service was terrible where things weren't kept away appropriately and cleaned well.
6. We requested an iron and got one that leaked ruining my husbands shirt right before a big dinner we had to attend.
7. The replacement iron leaked as well.
8. Every time we ordered coffee- they demanded payment on delivery and didnt give us the option to put it on the room tab.
9. Crockery provided by hotel in the kitchen was chipped
10. Windows are blocked off and sealed using duck tape instead of screws.
11. Gym equipment is broken
12. Room safe says Low Battery.

Overall the management doesn't seem experienced and staff are not well trained (although polite)

Would not stay here again given a choice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank goldfin2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Came to Dubai for a trip with a friend. Didn`t want to book the most expencive hotel, so we ended here. It worked.....
Good location. The room was big! Clean.The people from the housekeeping department I met, always gave me a big smile and "hello madam, how are you today" when I met them in the hall. A big + for the pool at the roof. Easy to get around the city from the hotel. And that`s the positive sides of the hotel...
Negativ, terrible food in the hotel restaurant! No one smiling in the front desk and in the restaurant. When we asked for a little bit later check out(2 hours) and had to pay for a hole night. And the hotel wasn`t fully booked.... Bad service in total.
If I`m going back to Dubai for holiday, I`m not going to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
mombasa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

i stayed at the Starmetro hotel apartments from the 5th November till the 9th November and was very pleasantly surprised as this hotel apartments was very clean, well run the rooms were very big with alot of space, the bathrooms were very well layed out with everything one could need .
The position of the hotel was less than 30 meters from a metro station, you have the reef mall across the road. this is a place i will stay in again and will recommend to any person who is looking for a good hotel at a reasonable cost.

Room Tip: best view is on the front face of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Fuad M
Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

For the first time ever I have to complain about a hotel I stayed in. There was just a never ending series of things going wrong that the staff didn't seem to want to sort out!
We booked an airport transfer - which never turned up and we ended up getting a taxi having phoned the hotel and confirmed they weren't coming - we got 2 completely different stories why. Then the 'non-smoking' room we booked smelt strongly of cigarettes. The staff lent us an electronic smelly bubble machine, but kept taking it away (and the smell immediately returned). They would only give us one key to the room, despite the fact my husband and I had separate itineraries for the 4 days we were there. He had to ask staff members to let him into the room if he got back before me. Also the key was electronic and very reluctant to work. We frequently had to get the staff to come with a master key to let us in. The basin in the bathroom was cracked, and leaked water on to the floor underneath. The bedside lights could only be turned off by a switch next to the main door to the room, some way from the bed. There was a kettle and 2 tea bags and 2 coffee sachets in the room. These were never replenished in the 4 days we were there. There was one further problem, but it was my fault for not doing my research thoroughly enough. This hotel fronts on to a main road and is virtually under the flight path from the airport - with planes taking off and landing every 2 minutes all day AND most of the night (they were still going at 3am!), so between the road, the planes and the call to prayer before dawn we didn't get much sleep! All in all I was very disappointed with my stay and would never stay in a Star Metro again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue R

Travelers are raving about these Dubai hotels

Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Located near the metro station and well connected to the airport, the place is good for people who prefer Indian-vegetarian food..rest the food is just about ok contrary to most places in Dubai that offer excellent food options..rooms are functional and the space for a double room is decent.

we had a large group traveling in a not so hot travel season and yet they were not very prepared for the group check in - staff was helpful but painstakingly slow

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Khosla_abhishek
Oslo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed here for four nights in late July. The heat was out of this world and I was actually impressed when I walked in. Big room, washing machine, etc.

I started getting little bites and thought it was hives, but the third night, it was so bad that I woke up at around 5 AM, turned on the lights, and yes, managed to catch one in a glass. The little vampires had bitten me to bits. The manager moved me to another room. I should have moved to another hotel. I looked terrible from all the bites.

Luggage thrown away upon arrival and everything steam cleaned.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank aquaskaya
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I went to Dubai with family end of june and I was recommended star metro by a friend. I must say that the staff were cooperative as we came on an early flight and our booking was not available till midday, they made allowances for us traveling with kids and jet lagged to get out room earlier and sleep it off.
The front desk staff were not very friendly and infact often made a point of avoiding one's glance. The Bell staff were nice and friendly.
My main grouse with the hotel was on cleanliness in the rooms, our toilet seat kept sliding off, the bath tub was never cleaned thoroughly in the 2 weeks we stayed there, the intercoms were not functioning, the tiles would have a stickiness despite being cleaned, the towels were also not kept in pristine condition.
In conclusion its a central location, not far from diera city centre, reef mall opposite, al ansar mall, gift village, a pizza hut, taza chicken, kfc and other eatries nearby.

1 Thank Umaymah A