“Not as Expected”

Cuisines: Seafood, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The short trip to and from the restaurant, via the canal was pleasant as was The Wharf's location. However, between the three of us, we agreed that the food was average and the service slow. A pity, because many reviewers speak highly of the place.
Three mains and a bottle of wine cost over AED 600 - expensive for what we got.
A stroll around the restaurant provided us with a very impressive view of the Burj Al Arab at night.
I certainly could not recommend this restaurant, based on our experience.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

It has been a while since I wrote a negative review. Mainly because I tend to do my HW before trying out a new place. A few days ago we headed to Al Hambra, which is one of my favorites in Dubai, when we decided to try something new. I had heard about The Wharf and wanted to give it a shot.

On arrival the place was very quiet and no reservation had been required. The décor is quite interesting though not romantic. The seating outside was nice. Once we were seated, the manager arrived and (first question) asked if we had Entertainer vouchers. Hmmm, I did have one, but we weren’t sure if we would need it as we thought we were in the mood for a light dinner of soup, starters, and maybe a main. Still I said yes. We were asked to give them the voucher (another hmmm), but we did anyway. We were then asked if we wanted drinks which we ordered.

The menu was laid on the table in the form of paper place mats, and we made our selections. The apps were actually nice, and the small warm loaves of fresh bread were hands down the highlight of the meal. Then came the mains, DH thought the food was ok, though his lamb was a bit dry. I didn’t like my dish. The salmon was ok, but rather crispy and dry. The whole dish just smelled super… fishy ?- The walking in front of the fish counter in the supermarket kind of fishy. I love seafood, but this just isn’t what I was looking for. Service was friendly though a tad slow.

If I had to sum up, I would say that The Wharf is.. ok- a word I’ve used a lot today, though I rarely ever use it in reviews.
Now, because I generally love Jumeirah restaurants, I’m willing to consider this an off night and give The Wharf another go. It won’t be anytime soon though.

1  Thank Gentle Traveler I
Reviewed January 21, 2013

You have not been to Dubai if you have not had Friday Brunch in "The Wharf" at the Mina A'Salam. Bijo and his excellent team put on a fantastic spread. The attention of the waiting staff is excellent and not at all intrusive. Service is always with a smile and no request excessive. Jumeirah train their staff well. EXCELLENT VALUE..... unlimited food from all corners of the world and unlimited drink, an expensive item in Dubai.......not to be missed, but book well in advance in order to get a waterside seat in the shade......perhaps 3-4 weeks before your visit or you wont get in and you will surely have been doing yourself out of an experience that is Dubai. Well done Bijo and your team.

2  Thank Sailor_30041962
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Wharf in Madinat Jumeirah has always been one of my favourite restaurants in Dubai, and recent menu changes and simplification in style have raised this to one of the best places for dinner in Dubai. A great simple but effective menu, good honest hearty food, casual and relaxed and yet classy and chic, this restaurant is great for a relaxed dinner, ideally outdoors in the cooler months. Good prices, superb attentive service, great location. I especially love their version of "bangers and mash" with the trio of sausages (pork no less). Superb restauarnt where the service standards have also improved considerably in the past year. Bravo to The Wharf.

2  Thank robertpmosley
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Amazing food and service with live music and staff was very help full, an excellent terrace seating with view of sea and canal.
Also have a great bar where you can have pre dinner drink or after dinner drink with all the sports event on the screen.
Over all unforgettable experience and we will be back very soon for sure................!

1  Thank Leon20519181