“"the guest is NOT king"”

Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa
Ranked #46 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed April 8, 2014

mass processing, low service quality, unfriendly personnel, too many prohibitions, too many discussions, too expensive and not the niveau of a 5star hotel at this price!
we felt like in a 4star all inclusive club in the 80s. not the Dubai style it should be.
never again!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
C-Schnyder, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent stay at Sofitel The Palm Dubai.

We truly value your opinion, as it is from your comments that we are able to improve our services.

I am sorry to read that your stay did not meet your expectations and I would like to express my personal apologies since you left the hotel feeling dissatisfied.

I would be glad if you could share with us your experience in detail on the following email address H6541-AM@sofitel.com in order to properly address your complaints.
Rest assured that appropriate action will been taken to remedy these shortcomings.

C. Schnyder

Write a ReviewReviews (5,255)

An Accor traveler
Uk
Reviewed April 7, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank An Accor traveler
SofitelDxbPalm, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Just got back from a week at the Sofitel Palm Resort following a previous week staying on JBR for Work.
We picked it as we wanted to have a 'Beach' holiday in Dubai rather than flying off somewhere else, and really glad we did.
I was travelling with my Wife and 15 month old Son, and apart from one trip to the Dubai Mall and one day out at the Atlantis (2 mins in a taxi away) we didn't leave the resort, basically as there was no need.
The hotel is still pretty new, so to a degree still finding it's feet I guess, however that really didn't have any negative impact on our stay whatsoever,
We stayed in a 1 bed Apartment on a high floor with Palm view (which I recommend requesting as great view of the city at night), the room was really spacious and the bathroom AMAZING.
Also had a working kitchen which is really handy with a young child!!

There is a selection of pools to chose and getting a lounger etc was never an issue, also each pool offers something a little different which was GREAT when it came to keeping a 15 month old entertained!
The other reason for choosing was the selection of restaurants and again we were not disappointed. we only ate in the main Buffet restaurant once, but the Italian, Steak house and Chinese were all really good (we ate in the Chinese Hong Loong 3 times, see separate review).

If you have kids then the childrens club is great even if you want to stay with them there is still a great area to relax and sunbathe with them in eyesight!

Overall it was pretty hard to find a fault, the only one being (and this is more a reflection on Dubai), that if you like to drink wine with a meal it can be REALLY expensive for a reasonable wine (i.e. £100+ a bottle for what should probably be only £40), this is pretty consistent across anywhere you eat out in fairness, so I think anywhere that tackles this a bit and gets a more extensive win list around the sub £50 per bottle mark would be able to attract more custom.
As a French hotel brand Sofitel are probably in a good place to source better value :o)

Oh and one final thing...I stupidly left my Wedding Ring in the room and only realised as I was boarding the plane back to London.
However on calling the hotel it took them less that 10 minutes to send housekeeping in and locate it for me which saved a VERY tricky conversation with my wife!
While you may think that should be standard practice, unfortunately not all places are so honest, so a HUGE thank you to Ahmed for sorting that out for me!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Clappo52

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at Sofitel The Palm Dubai.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review with great comments and thank for your thoughtful feedback.

I was especially happy to learn that we were able to find your wedding ring and your great appreciation towards our ambassadors will be shared with the due recognition.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back, and to continue ensuring you have many more Magnifique stays with us.

Yours sincerely,

C. Schnyder

Reviewed April 5, 2014

We had a nice stay here on our first trip to Dubai. The resort is amazing and you could spend your whole time here just relaxing. The bed was extremely comfortable and we had a few great nights sleep here until the Friday night when lots of flash sports cars seemed to be pulling in and out in the early hours. As our room was above the lobby area we were woken to the exhaust noises of the lambo's/ ferrari's etc. Not what you want when you are checking out at 5am for a 14 hour flights when you need all the sleep you can get.

Food/ Drinks etc. are around twice the price you will pay outside of the hotel. Also, to travel outside of the palm to the dubai mall etc. it is around 25km, 14km to dubai marina etc. so be prepared for lots of taxi expenses as the complimentary shuttle bus is not regular.

If you just want to relax and not see Dubai, then this may be for you.

Room Tip: get a room away from the lobby due to the sports car noises
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at Sofitel The Palm.

I am delighted to read your review; it gives me great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our facilities and the service provided by all our ambassadors.

I certainly look forward to welcoming you back, and to continue ensuring you have many more Magnifique stays with us.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

After visiting this new property I am a firm believer that there needs to be another star rating greater than five. This hotel may be five star but it must only be because it fulfilled some check list somewhere. There is something to be said for the quality of the things on that list ... Something this hotel is sadly missing.
The quality of finishes is poor ie the door handles are crooked, there is only one towel hook in the room, the shower head was broken off, the bathroom doors don't close flush together, the balcony door can't open fully due to sofa blocking it, the balcony sofa cushions are stained, only Nescafé sachets for in room coffee etc. Little things maybe, but to me, this is the stuff of four star.
Other things which detract are the flustered and slow check in ... Can't bear to see staff standing around working on something while there is a line of people waiting to check in. No one opened my car door on arrival ... A standard at any five star in Dubai.
The lobby itself and living green walls are beautiful, but we found the room decor, turquoise curtain and tiled floor tacky and motel-like.
Worst part of the stay was the expensive yet below average signature seafood restaurant moana. We got all dressed up and arrived to what looked like a family restaurant with a kids menu to boot! The service was excellent but the food was terrible. My partner had monkfish which looked and tasted like a school dinner from a jar, while my seafood platter was hit and miss. The lobster and crab were lovely but the prawns and oysters bland and even a little off. My meal alone was over 400 dhs!
This hotel is young, large and perfect for tour groups or young families. Avoid completely if you are looking for luxury and romance. If that is what you are looking for, do what we did ... Checkout and move to the Waldorf Astoria!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank simone h
SofitelDxbPalm, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your recent stay at Sofitel The Palm Dubai.

I was concerned to read that there were aspects of your experience during your stay that did not meet your expectations and I would like to express my personal apologies since it seems you left our hotel feeling dissatisfied.

As you are likely aware, TripAdvisor does not disclose the personal details of guests posting a review. Should your time permit, I would be glad if you could please email me at h6541-am@sofitel.com. I would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss your experience with you with and endeavour to personally restore your confidence in our Hotel.

I look forward to the possibility of hearing from you directly, and I thank you in advance for your time.

Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

A really beautiful hotel. Rooms are stunning, spacious and modern but cosy in the same time. Lobby and main parts are well maintained and the Green Walls do impress. The hotel gardens are lush and beautiful and make you forget that the island is man-made:) Stayed for 3 nights in September. Really enjoyed it. Complimentary shuttle to the malls and to Aquaventure next door (literally 5 mins away). Amenities in the rooms are Lanvin and Hermes and our room had a huge balcony overlooking the pool and the beach (i think we got upgraded to that one). Would recommend.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
SofitelDxbPalm, Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the Tripadvisor review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the environment around the hotel inviting and the services in line with your expectation.

We value the feedback that we receive from our guests and we will be passing these comments along to our teams who are ever eager to hear what our guests have to say.

We thank you for making Sofitel the Palm your choice hotel and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Training and Quality Manager

Reviewed April 2, 2014

OK-first of all I have to say that the the hotel,facilities,rooms,gradens,food,all v good .
However ,we went on a family half board break- where children supposedly eat "free" .
What they don't tell you is that an ice-cream cone will cost the best part of £8.00 ,an apple juice -approx the same ,bottle of water ditto ,etc etc whether its for a 2 y old or an adult .
They also frequently screwed up in the hotel restaurants - half board means that in the steak restaurant the "half board menu" means you cant get a steak for instance-and the HB menu in all but the "buffet" restarant were limited at best ...they do not tell you that you can order from the full a la carte menu and then they should/will/can/might deduct the half board allowance from the bill-took us 3 days to get that out of them - they still charged us full px at some restaurants and at others they deducted the HB allowance- we had to go through bill and they ended up taking off almost £500.00 where they had overcharged us -if you want to go to this hotel ,pay up- forget HB-forget "family deals" they'll charge you anyway -i dont mind paying ,but would have been nice to know the rules before you start .
Oh and as an aside my "ocean view" was a building site - to be fair they did move us but again- why should you have to ask ?
Service ranged from incompetent to excellent depending on who you "got" , as for the "managers" as above, same applied .
I wouldn't rush back because I hate this sort of thing so please be warned in advance .

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Roberto V

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments on tripadvisor following you stay at Sofitel The Palm Dubai.

Your points of improvement concerning our service are highly appreciated and will be discussed in depth with our management to better serve our valuable guests in the future.

Once again I would like to thank you for your comments on behalf of all of my team.
We look forward to welcome you back in our hotel.