“Good but requires a bit of tweaking”

Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa
Ranked #48 of 550 Hotels in Dubai
Bahrain
“Good but requires a bit of tweaking”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We booked a suit for one night in September 2013. We had to wait a bt until it was our turn to check in. The room was really nice. It was new with the smell of pain still in it The good thing is that our package included half board. Their food was good.
We were travelling on our anniversary. This was explained to the hotel in advance. The room didn't have anything in it to resemble this. The funny thing is that a butler knocked on our door and awoke us from our nap to say that he had keft some sweets in the room but it seems they were removed by housekeeping.
The beach was not sand. It felt like crused shells and hurts the feet. A short walk in the water and it gets deep. The main pool though was very nice. It was deep in the middle and bid enough for a good swim.
Likewise the check out took forever to get over with.
I guess they need sometime to get their act together as one would expect a more organised serviced from a Sofitel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ahmed A
SofitelDxbPalm, Guest Experience and Quality Assurance Management at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review of our hotel following your stay with us.

This feedback has most certainly been shared with our team who are extremely keen to listen to our guests and deliver magnifique experiences.

We apologize for the minor callenges with the check-in and would like to assure you that we take the feedback of our guests extremely seriously as we strive to enhance our levels of service.

We thank you again and would be humbled to welcome you back to Sofitel Dubai the Palm.

Yours Sincerely,
Guest Experience and Quality Assurance Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (937)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
riyadh
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I was looking forward to this vacation on Eid Break, upon check in i was informed that Breakfast was not included in my premium suite rate, I then told him that it was, he called someone else and then admitted he made a mistake, he then swiped my AMEX for US$4000, for a 3 night stay. The key cards did not work upon arrival in the room. The porter told me I had to go done myself to get new cards. The Room was very nice and then proceeded to the Lounge room for complimentary refreshments as advertised, but it was closed. I was then informed that this facility is not opened yet. I then asked to see the manager, I waited 30mins, I told him about all the above, and he said that on check in I should have been advised. He then came back 5mins later with a letter offering complimentary cocktails each day. I then proceeded to the lounge cafe where we ordered lunch. 20mins later the Waitress returned to take the order again as she had forgotten what we wanted as she had not written it down. When she delivered it she gave the wrong dishes and apologized that they had run out of the dish she was actually serving us! I then asked the concierge where the Bar was, I was informed that no bars open till 730pm. I then had had enough and requested that I check out, a customer services representative came and apologised for the problems stating the staff are new but there was the pool bar open all day, and I should let the hotel have a chance. I agreed and was led to a table on the beach that was very good. We gave our drink order, after 25mins the waitress came back asking if we had had our food yet, we said we only ordered drinks. She Went away again, after 10mins we left, and checked out!. The Hotel inside is very nice as well as the rooms, but in 90mins, i had checked in and Checked out. This has been the worst experience I have had at a 5* Hotel, and the worst experience of this Brand, they have served me well in the past.

5 Thank Drew H
C-Schnyder, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

On regard of your short visit to our hotel, I do regret that a string of coincidental errors provided you with a negative experience. This level of service is most certainly not what we would like to be recognised for and we offer you our deepest apologies for not meeting your expectations.

Every kind of feedback from our guests is important as it enables us to identify and measure our strengths and weaknesses and to work toward improving the quality of our services.

It is apparent from your remarks that we certainly have a very large area to cover. I assure you that your observations will be shared with the concerned Department Heads for inmediate corrective action.

C. Schnyder
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed in a two bed apartment which was gorgeous. Staff were really helpful and considerate.
Although there were a few problems I think this is just teething as its only recently opened.
My wife and my daughter both had birthdays and the staff laid on cake and balloons which they loved.
My only criticism is breakfast. My wife arrived at 10:15, waited 20mins to be seated, 20 mins for a high chair only to be told breakfast was finishing at 11.The breakfast was cleared dead on 11 as though there was a fire in the building!
We refused to pay as none of our family had managed to eat properly, especially as its £30 each!
I checked out the night before we left as we had an early start, only to be told in the morning they had forgotten to charge for an extra bed so tried to charge extra.
On the whole, great place but think more training is needed for the management.
We would definitely
stay again.

Room Tip: We had a room that gave us views over Dubai and the world development. Some building work going on...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
SofitelDxbPalm, Guest Executive and Quality Management at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your Tripadvisor review of our hotel following your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel The Palm, Dubaii.

Yours Sincerely,
Guest Executive and Quality Management
Francescas, France
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I just came back from 10 days trip with my family and friends. We were all at the sofitel palm. I really can't describe it.. it was perfect. First of all we were really impressed by the architecture of the hotel, it's big, beautiful and has this touch of nature with the wood and the green, absolutely amazing. The rooms were fabulous, nothing to say, big, clean, well designed and really relaxing. The pool and the beach area were awesome !!! the pool is big with a really nice design and we had the best time there. the service really surprised me, I travel a lot around the world, but in this hotel I was really surprised by the staff. Everyone was so friendly, they did everything they could to make your stay fabulous and it worked ! The food was delicious, with the 7 different types of restaurants, you have all you need to make your self happy. So all I can say is that, this trip, was the trip of my life, and I really commend this hotel !

1 Thank Alex B
C-Schnyder, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us excellent feedback on Tripadvisor.
I was extremely happy to read that you had a “Magnifique” experience staying with us and you enjoyed all of our facilities.

We really apprecaite your kind comments on regards of our architecture and design, our spacious rooms and our relaxing pool area.

We look forward to welcoming you back in Sofitel The Palm, Dubai.

Yours sincerely,

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

I absolutely loved this hotel. The room was gorgeous with huge balcony, the fish restaurant had the most delicious food and beautiful setting and the pool area was the most relaxing perfect place to unwind. I would completely recommend this hotel x

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SamanthaFord
C-Schnyder, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai The Palm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us excellent feedback on Tripadvisor.

We really apprecaite your kind comments on regards of our fantastic Seafood restaurant, our spacious rooms and our relaxing pool area.

We look forward to welcoming you back in Sofitel The Palm, Dubai.

Yours sincerely,

Somerset UK
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We went to Dubai for a one week break in the above hotel. Beautifully appointed large room with a large balcony overlooking the sea and in the distance views of the Burj Khalifa. Very good value buffet which had excellent international cuisine, extremely helpful waiting staff. The hotel fronts the beach, bliss, the sea was very clear and full of small and medium fish and cormorants, swimming area very safe and water very warm- life guard on duty at all times. There were four or five pools around the hotel, one with a water slide. The main pool did get a bit congested at first as people came down to put belongings on a recliner and then went away - at the end of our holiday the staff put notices about to say that they would put belongings into lost property if the seats were not used for over an hour, and that instantly relieved this issue. But the smaller pools (also with life guards) were never busy and there was never a time when we couldn't find a recliner. We went to a speciality restaurant one evening which was excellent but expensive. We also used the spa, the staff were excellent. The inside of the hotel has an unusual feature, walls of plants which was very attractive.
The downside - the hotel wasn't quite finished so the shopping arcades were not yet open - presumably this will be remedied by the end of the year, although we were not inconvenienced by the building work as workers were very discreet. There was a glass partition between bedroom and bathroom so if someone got up to the bathroom in the night it illuminated the bedroom. Also we found that on our wing we had to walk a long way to get to the beach, as there was no access to the beach from our side of the hotel except down a fire escape. This may be remedied when the hotel is fully completed.
I would recommend this hotel for people who want to get away from it all and have a really relaxing break; I don't think it will be bettered as a get away from it all destination when it is completely functional. But if you want to see the main attractions of Dubai, it might be worthwhile to think of booking a hotel nearer to the metro.

Room Tip: All rooms are good as they either face the sea or face the beach, I don't think anyone would be...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Judith B
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your kind comments posted on tripadvisor following your stay at Sofitel The Palm Dubai.

I am also delighted to read that you will be returning to stay with us in the near future.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and to continue ensuring your stays with us please you and provide such great memories.

Istanbul
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have stayed 15 days in this amazing resort... having been in Dubai more than 50 times since 2004,and stayed in all the best hotels including the 7 star one more than 10 times... I can say that this is the best resort for families with children as well as for singles who loves clubbing.

Brand new, the architecture and the interior design makes you feel that you are far far away... even the atmosphere perfumes and the music at the background was magnificent.

The resort has 7 restaurants... all has ultımate quality of food, perfect atmosphere, distinguished concepts and top level service quality. The hotel holds the best Chinese restaurant and the one of the best Chinese restaurant.. the french restaurants concept deserves a photo shooting... the international buffets design, variety, freshness of food, and care taken by the stuff is worth to underline.
We have discovered some wonderful tastes which we had not experience before...Of Course, we all put on some weight ... :)

Amura kids club is a wonderland for the children.. they have a separate ice cream house surrounded by water canals, even going to take a cone of ice is a memorable adventure for your kids.

The beach is very nice... the pool surrounded by cabanas... Everything was just wonderful... we will turn back in 3 weeks and for sure they got us as loyal guests ... :)

You live in an at most luxury...

1 Thank lovapeks
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel The Palm, Dubai and for your recent review on Tripadvisor.
It was our great pleasure to look after you and serve you according to our high standards.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our facilities speacially the kidsclub and our dining choices.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon and create one more ‘Magnifique’ Journey for you.