“To put it very mild: Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #54 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
Al Manama (but Dutch)
“To put it very mild: Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Since January I am located in Bahrain and after a few weeks we decided we couldn't enjoy the weekends in Al Manama and decided to go to Dubai for the weekend and after that we went every weekend. Since my stay at Westin a week ago I have seen many, so called 5 stars hotels in Dubai. From Habtoor Grand, to Ritz Carlton, to Grosvernor House, Madinat Salam and Atlantis to mention a few. This time I booked through via Internet at Westin and I regret now that didn't find this hotel earlier.

Despite I stayed in a lot of the so called 5 stars hotels in Dubai, we were afraid that this hotel was a downgrading. Our experience was the opposite and some hotels against twice the room rate should send some undercover guest to Westin to experience to exceptional professional attitude of the personal at the Westin. It doesn't matter who it was, the frontdesk manager, the pool boy, the guy that was cleaning in the middle of the night; all were very friendly, very help full and very polite. Never we experienced a person that was not happy to do his job in this hotel and every time we felt we were trully welcome.

I was quite surprised by the front desk. I already encountered problems at the car rental at Dubai airport with my credit card (skimmed to the max) and explained this during check in. This was no problem for the hotel. They accepted the situation, checked me in and gave me a warm feeling that everything would be alright and that I could pay later.

The rooms are already described in previous reviews and they are big compared to other hotels I stayed and very well equipped (complementary Nespresso machine), high standard of finishing and a superb bathroom.

The poolside is beautiful and as the rest of the hotel, very clean and very well maintained. The odd shape of the pool is nice and different of what I have seen before in Dubai. The water is cooled down and is much cooler then the sea. This is fantastic and some hotels can take this as an example.

The best service I encountered at the poolside at the side for the adults. We were laying down at the grass and the environment encouraged me to pop the question at my girlfriend that she was probably (for sure) was waiting for since a long, long time (for the curious people: her answer was yes). I will never forget this hotel anymore for the rest of my life. Especially that the barman at the pool allowed us to open our own bottle of champagne and he took care of the glasses and the ice. I know, this is very exceptinal and I am very great full to him that he allowed it.

Of course this hotel has also a minor thing. Extension was not possible against the internet rate and I couldn't book for the next weekend in the hotel for the same reason. But this is minor issue and coming weekend we will be in this hotel again for sure.

Thanks to the Westin and especially the people working there that made staying in this hotel an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
minaseyahi, General Manager at The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this review, July 5, 2009
Dear Frits_From_Holland,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review - we are very glad that your recent weekend stay with us at The Westin Dubai exceeded your expectations. We also offer a hearty congratulations on your engagement!

We look forward to welcoming you back many more times at The Westin.

Le Meridien Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
bedfordshire
Reviewed June 21, 2009

have just returned from the westin, rooms clean and large , food good, we were on half board , meals are very expensive as are drinks a burger was £15 and bowl of chips almost a fiver, ton at the pool is great puts out your towels and moves beds for u , also brings cold towels, all the staff are friendly and helpful, we arrived at 8am and one of our two rooms were ready unfortunately there was a problem with the second room, and we did not get our two rooms then until 3pm, the hotel is in a great location and we couldnt fault it at all.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
minaseyahi, General Manager at The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this review, June 24, 2009
Dear BedfordshireJp,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Dubai for your recent holiday! We're glad that your stay was an enjoyable one and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Dubai.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2009

I would just like to say that if anybody is looking for a really good hotel in Dubai the Westin is it, the staff are fantastic the hotel is exceptionally clean and the beds are the best I have ever slept in, in a hotel, it is situated right on the beach, I am going back again this month and this will be my 6th time at this hotel. I book with Alasdair from Destinology for all my holidays, he advises all the hotels that meet my criteria and he has never let me down yet, I always get a fantastic hotel for the best price so thank you Alasdair

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Lynny11
minaseyahi, General Manager at The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this review, June 16, 2009
Dear Lynny11,

Thank you for your wonderful comments and choosing the The Westin Dubai as your home in Dubai.

We greatly value our returning guests and we look forward to welcoming you back this month for your 6th stay!

harlow, uk
Reviewed June 12, 2009

Just back from a week at The Westin 01-08 June, after two nights at the Atlantis......

This was our second trip after going last June too. We booked a full board package via Netflights, expecting it to be all meals in Blue Orange. When we checked in we discovered that our package actually enabled us to eat in any restauarant and included drinks with our meals(house wine & spirits, draught beer and softs). We ate once in Hunters and had the most amazing steak with all the trimmings, a really top quality meal, twice in Spice Emporium......short rib green curry, jumbo prawns, beef satay, chicken parcels....ah wow wow wow. Once in Bussola again which was great and 3 nights in Blue Orange which I also think is excellent. We are still not sure if the package of dine round & drinks was an upgrade or a mistake, but when I queried the bill several times in the week items charged where removed when queried, so top marks to the hotel for honouring.

The resort is really good, lots of space, a sectioned off adults only area, a covered kids pool with small slide and two lifeguards. The beach is immaculate and has buckets and spades for the kids which is a nice touch. The sea is crystal clear and calm and at this time of year sooooo warm.

Inside the hotel the granduer of the atrium and lobby is really smart, a pianist plays 7pm - 9pm adding a touch of serenity.

The staff are really good too, especially Johhny the pancake man in Blue Orange, always smiling and happy, Raj the Bar Supervisor for North & South Pool Bars, Kennedy the lifeguard.

Anyone considering this hotel, i would strongly recommend it makes your shortlist, its a great property and we will no doubt return again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Dear colinchap,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Dubai for your recent family vacation!

We're so glad that your stay was an exceptional one and appreciate the time you've taken to highlight this to our other potential guests.

Looking forward to welcoming you back at The Westin Dubai on your next trip to Dubai.

London
Reviewed June 12, 2009

Stayed at this hotel 2 weeks ago for 10 days and it was way beyond our expecatations.

Our Executive Club room was spacious, clean and everything we would want. The Club area was just fabulous and a big thanks to Nadine and Armad who were so very helpful in booking restaurants/knowledge of Dubai/general requests that we had. The evenings were so peaceful and relaxing in the lounge. I would highly recommend it.

Hunters Bar & Grill - superb restaurant, fantastic menu, and even myself whom is a vegetarian they still catered for me whilst my husband enjoyed the steaks which he said were fantastic.

Room Service - we had this twice and both times, the food was fantastic, the menu catered for our every need and was presented so well.

Overall very impressed with this hotel and will definitely be returning again.....hopefully in December.

1 Thank Posh44
minaseyahi, General Manager at The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this review, June 14, 2009
Dear Posh44,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Dubai for your recent holiday!

We're very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly the superb culinary experience that The Westin offers.

We look forward to welcoming you back in December.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 12, 2009

This hotel is modern, spacious and has beautiful bedroom suites with stunning views. The staff are attentive and eager to make your stay as perfect as possible. We have stayed here twice for 2 weekends. Baristi Bar is a 3 minute walk down the beach in the sister hotel the Meridien Mina Seyahi which is on the same complex. The wine bar is lovely to chill out in and listen to live music while nibbling on a cheese plate that compliments your wine. The Pizza restaurant outside is relaxed and has a buzzing atmosphere with delicious pizzas.
The pool is long and meandering and best of all has an adult only section! Lounge chairs on the grass under a tree and an umbrella are the best. Table service is also very good here. Dubai can be a bit bland with shopping malls and scorching sun but this hotel offers a great selection of bars, restaurants, and amenities including a lovely gym and spa. It's in a great location too - beside the Madinat souk, 10 minutes for Mall of the Emirates and 20 minutes for Dubai mall. I'll be back for another weekend break soon!

1 Thank kieramccormack
Dear kieramccormack,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent weekend stay/s with us at The Westin Dubai!

We're very glad you enjoyed the location, plus exciting range of dining and activities at our hotel complex.

Looking forward to welcoming you back on your next weekend break.

London
Reviewed June 9, 2009

The only hotel I’ve stayed in on previous trips to Dubai was Mina a’ Salam in the Madinat Jumeriah resort and have always had an amazing stay so was slightly nervous at what felt like down-grading to The Westin. I needn’t have worried. Our stay at The Westin was fantastic.

We stayed for three nights over the Bank Holiday weekend in a Sea View Executive Club room. We arrived early Saturday morning and were greeted at the airport by a member of staff and taken to the hotel in a huge Mercedes car. We checked in at about 9am and unfortunately no room was available at that time. We had breakfast in the lounge and read the papers and were in our room by 10.30am.

As mentioned in a previous report the room was very American but we expected this as it is an American brand so were more than happy with it. It was a good size with plenty of places to store clothes and a lovely huge bed. The view was fantastic over the hotel pool area and out to the sea with the Atlantis in the distance. The bathroom was exceptionally clean and the shower was perfect – you get both the waterfall shower head and a normal one. The only thing that was annoying was the light system. There’s a central control unit on the bedside table and you had to turn that on before you could turn the bathroom lights on. We nearly called reception to say we thought a fuse had blown!

The pool area and beach were vast!! You could sit around the pool, a little further away on the grass area or on the beach. We particularly enjoyed the fact there was a separate area for adults which was more peaceful than the other side as it was fairly busy. We didn’t have any problems with service around the pool and the staff often brought around cold towels which were gratefully received.

The executive lounge was very good. The breakfast was very well stocked – the pastries were amazing! We didn’t bother with afternoon tea so I can’t comment on that but the evening happy hour was much better than expected. They serve Processco rather than champagne but that isn’t a problem for us and every other drink was also available. Be warned about the Bellini’s though as they’re served with Archers rather than peach juice so are pretty potent! The evening snacks were also very good and it was difficult to not over indulge in them.

The staff were exceptional, particularly Jay in the Executive Lounge. Each member of staff we encountered was very friendly and very helpful.

We ate in Spice Emporium and Hunters while we were there and both served very good meals. If you go to Spice Emporium have the tasting menu – you wont be disappointed although you might find it difficult to move after. Sadly we went to Hunters on our last evening and had to rush off to the airport but the Australian Hanger Steaks were cooked to perfection.

There were a few things that you could, if you’re a particularly hard to please person, be disappointed with if you wanted to. You were given your towels at the pool entrance and had to set up your beds yourself rather than an attendant fussing over you and doing it for you. The turndown service was only water and chocolate rather than added little “treats”. You are served Processco rather than champagne in the Executive Lounge.

Overall we had an excellent stay and found the hotel far exceeded our expectations. I would have no problem recommending this hotel to friends and will definitely consider returning on our next trip to Dubai.

Dear ClareMad,

Thank you for switching to The Westin Dubai on your recent visit...we're happy to learn that we were able to exceed your expectations!

Thank you also for your comments - guest feedback such as yours is a constant source of inspiration in ensuring we offer truly world-class 5-star service at The Westin.