“Loved the Westin............”

Ranked #56 of 554 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed June 2, 2009

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a 6 night stay at the Westin and we loved every single minute of it!!!!!

We arrived at the hotel at 8:30am so we weren't expecting a room to be ready for us, so we were quite pleased when we were told that they there was one available. However, we were advised that we may not want the room that was available as it was a ground floor room with no view!!!! As we had paid for a sea view room, Mahmood (Not sure if I've got the name quite right) obviously suspected that we would decline this room, but he still gave us the option anyway which was good. We declined the room and had a wait of a couple of hours until we got a fantastic room on the 5th floor, to which he showed us to personally. 11:00am wasn't bad considering check-in isn't actually until 3:00pm.

The room was truly fantastic with everything we could possibly want - the Heavenly Bed, the Nespresso machine, mini bar, dressing gowns, slippers, superb bathroom and a balcony with a fantastic view out to the Palm and the Atlantis. In addition, there were always fresh bottles of mineral water in the room which I particularly liked - I think we were getting about 6 bottles a day!!!!

The service throughout the stay was excellent from the staff at reception and concierge, to the staff in the restaurants and by the pool.

The pool and garden area are amazing. We particularly liked the sunbeds on the grassy area as there always seemed to be a nice breeze. The winding pool was great - it would take us about 20 minutes to swim leisurely round it and there were never more than 10 or 15 people in it!!!! The waiters by the pool were very friendly and we never had any problems finding anyone to take our order. There was also a good supply of cold flannels coming round too when it got a bit too warm!!!! The prices by the pool weren't too bad - about £3 for a large bottle of water which came with ice and about £2.60 for a Diet Coke.

The food in the Blue Orange buffet restaurant was fantastic and as other reviews have stated there was so much choice. Breakfast included omelette stations, a pancake station, cold meats, cheese, a huge bread and pastry selection, cooked breakfasts, both indian and arabic food, waffles and plenty of fruit and bottles of mineral water to take away. In the evenings there was the same amount of choice - pasta station, japanese noodle station, cooked meat and fish to order as well as indian, arabic, chinese and a fantastic dessert selection.

Whilst we were there there was an offer on at Hunters steakhouse for 3 courses and unlimited champagne for about £70 a head. It sounds a lot but I thought it was well worth the money. The menu wasn't really restricted - I think the only things missing from the normal menu were lobster and a couple of the steaks (there were still about 7 cuts of steak to choose from). In addition, we also got about 8 glasses of champagne each during the meal which was far better than we imagined. Both the food and the service were excellent and I would really recommend the restaurant especially if the champagne offer is on!!!! We also ate at Bussola one night, which although it had a fantastic view, I would say it was average for the money - 2 courses each a bottle of wine cost us £75.

Just a couple of tips to consider about the Westin and Dubai:

- Our booking with Trailfinders included complimentary half board. When we checked in the hotel had no record of this and it was only because Mahmood mentioned about our rate being bed and breakfast only, that we queried this. As you still have to sign for dinner in the restaurant, I would recommend if you are on a similar deal to sort it when you check in. I'm not saying that the hotel wouldn't sort it upon checking out, but I think it would be more hassle!!!

- Keep an eye out for promotions in the different bars and restaurants. You can get some good deals especially in May when went. For instance, we took advantage of the champagne meal in Hunters, Oeno at the Westin had a promotion on a Tuesday night whereby all women got 3 free glasses of champagne and there was a Sol lager promotion on at the Barasti Bar at the Meridien whereby it was half price.

- If you're staying at the Westin or the Meridien, watch the sunset from the Barasti Bar. You can recline on the day beds or sun loungers listening to the DJ playing chill-out music and watch the sun go down over the Marina.

- We booked through Trailfinders who arranged a transfer from the airport with Arabian Adventures. I think this cost about £70 for a return transfer but was well worth the money. We got met at the airport by a air-conditioned Audi which was fantastic following our less than luxurious BA flight!!!!! It was more expensive than a taxi but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again especially arriving early in a morning.

- Make sure you go to Dubai Duty Free at the airport and buy some alcohol!!!! The drinks are pricey - £7 for a beer and about £10 for a cocktail, but there again, you could pay that easily in London or other places in Europe. As we had a balcony with a sea view, it was actually quite nice to sit on the balcony with a cold beer following a taxing day by the pool!!!!!

All in all, we would recommend a stay at the Westin and to be honest, I don't think I would contemplate staying anywhere else!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pinkchick98
minaseyahi, General Manager at The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2009

Dear pinkchick98,

Thank you for your detailed review and wonderful comments with regards to your recent holiday at The Westin Dubai.

We're very happy that your stay with us was a memorable one and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

There are newer reviews for The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina

Reviewed May 23, 2009

I've never bothered to leave a review about anything before as I'm chronically short of time but just felt I had to in this instance to show my appreciation to all the staff who took such good care of us when we were there for 6 nights over Easter. I was recommended this hotel by our travel agent (Paul at Dreamticket) and I'm really glad he did as we went to several hotels in the area and this was definitely one of my favourites.

Very attentive, cheerful and polite staff all round from doormen to reception to concierge including waiters and general cleaning staff. Unfortunately I can no longer remember the names of individual staff I would have liked to single out except I think ? Raoul at reception. Special mention to the staff (especially Dilan and Elizabeth) who ran the children’s club as my 2 kids (aged 8 and 5) enjoyed it immensely despite initially refusing to go. My older daughter particularly enjoyed the snorkelling lessons and water sports.

I don't think the pictures of the outside of the hotel do it justice as it's actually more impressive in real life. The public areas were generally beautiful and very clean with some impressive light fixtures. I'm particularly keen on hotels having nice, well maintained gardens and these do not disappoint. I far preferred the exterior to that of Burj al Arab which did nothing for me! Our room was lovely, particularly as we were upgraded from a deluxe seaview to a corner suite on our arrival which we all loved. Wonderful views from the balcony over the water and at night you could see the Atlantis hotel so worth the extra supplement. The shower in particular was wonderful, encouraging us to have 2-3 showers per day. Little nice touches such as bottles of water supplied twice daily and special Easter chocolates and assorted nuts and the children's activity packs were a useful distraction while the adults unpacked. The espresso machine provided great quality coffee!

We stayed on a bed and breakfast package and greatly enjoyed the buffet breakfasts in the Blue Orange with enough choice from healthy to indulgent to suit adults and children alike. Also had enjoyable dinners at The Spice Emporium and Bussola although we also ate out at other hotels in Dubai. My one criticism would be the paucity of waiters around the pool area as I usually had to go to the bar myself to get drinks/snacks. Meals and drinks are quite expensive but this is normal for all the hotels (and indeed Malls) in the area. Only cheap drinks were in the souks and I would definitely recommend a trip out of the tourist areas to get a feel of local life.

The pools were great and my daughters each had their favourite - the lap pool for my 5 year old as she could stand up in it and winding pool for my 9 year old. The pool loungers were adequate in number and we were always able to find at least 3 together even at mid-day. The beach was lovely although the sea was never as warm as the pools and you could occasionally sea little fish swimming in the shallows which greatly pleased the kids.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank AngelaAO
minaseyahi, General Manager at The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2009

Dear AngelaAO,

Thank you for your wonderful comments with regards to your recent family holiday at The Westin Dubai.

We're happy that your Easter break with us was a memorable one and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Dubai!

Reviewed May 18, 2009

Because the hotel we initially booked was not finished (Amwaj Rotana resort at Dubai Marina) we rebooked to The Westin Dubai. We payed more for our stay in this hotel but we did not regret it for one minut.
Ofcourse, there are always some things to complain about but the Westin is by fare the best 5* hotel we have been to. Staff is very friendly and helpfull. The breakfast is just great and we did not no where to start (international, english, arabian, indian ands lot's of fresh fruits etc..etc.) The rooms are clean and very comfortable with a nice boxspring bed and a nespresso machine.
Garden, beach and pool are big, very clean and safe. One part is for families with children and the other part of the garden and pool is for people above 18 and is nice and quiet.
Prices of dinner in the hotel restaurants are not always in balance. Same for the drinks, 1 small bottle of heineken costs 7 euro? We payed roundabout 9 euro for a cocktail at the poolbar but it tasted great and was served by a very very friendly Indonesian waiter!!

There was just one part we did not like and that was the amount of Russian guests. They are loud, unfriendly and do not respect the hotels dress code. The Westin looses glamour because of these guests.

For the rest......JUST GREAT. The hotel lays 5 minutes drive by taxi from Dubai Marina.
After staying 2 weeks on the Seychelles we had a very nice stay in Dubai.
And for shore we will go back.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traveler68030

Dear Traveler68030,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Dubai for your recent holiday - we're very happy to learn that your change in choice proved a rewarding one!

We thank you again for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed May 17, 2009

We had gotten this hotel as a gift for our weekend. I had an amazing getaway with my family, probably the best ever in the last couple of years! The services provided were unbeatable.

Apart from the neat ambience, crystal aura and luxurious interiors, the hotel also had many other facilities at our disposal such as state of the art rooms, steam and sauna facilities, wide variety of restaurants and cafes.

Must say that if you are planning a holiday weekend to a hotel or a resort, Westin serves as more than one!!!

JetPrivilege Membership No. 137434581

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Dear holidayfreakuae,

Thank you for taking the time to review your family holiday with us at The Westin Dubai.

We're so happy that your stay was an enjoyable one and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed May 11, 2009

I had the misfortune to stay at the Westin shortly after it opened. I would mirror most of the comments made around that time. Staff poorly trained, desk staff quite rude, and did not really care that we did not have a good time, restaurants were apalling, and I think the least said about the rugby scrum for breakfast in the morning the better. This is NOT a 5* Hotel. To be fair to the Westin, although we had paid for the executive level rooms (for the sole reason of not being subject to transport café style queues for breakfast in the morning) this was not available when we arrived. Would have been nice if they had mentioned that before we travelled.

On the plus side, the rooms were nice, however nothing would tempt me to return.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank firstclasschick
minaseyahi, General Manager at The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2009

Dear firstclasschick,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at The Westin Dubai shortly after opening in May 2008. I do apologize for the inconvenience you faced with regards to the opening delay of the Executive Lounge. I am positive that should you choose to return in the future, you will find that the facilities and service at The Westin Dubai are world class and exceed your expectations!

Reviewed May 6, 2009

Stayed in a standard sea view room with my spouse for 1 night in December 2008

Positive points:
-Great location in Dubai's scenic Mina Seyahi beach.
-Attractive prices for a 5 star hotel.
-Room spacious, modern, clean with nice terrace and view.
-Great facilities such as pool, spa, fitness and business centres.
-Good selection and value for room service menu.

Negative points:
-Rooms too standardized/modern and business-like. I expected a more traditional/classic touch given the hotel's impressive Arabic styled exterior architecture. It's comfortable but if I'm in Dubai, I'd rather go for one of their many classic themed hotels for a change.
-Reception and other staff were not very helpful.
-The lobby and shopping areas seemed dead and the hotel lifeless. Corridors almost like a hospital.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
minaseyahi, General Manager at The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2009

Dear Shekamu,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Dubai for your stay in December. We're glad you enjoyed our location, rooms, in-room dining and extensive facilities.

We also appreciate your comments with regards to hotel design and service. Please know that anything less than 5-star service is well below our usual standards and we would love to hear directly from you (feedback.minaseyahi@starwoodhotels.com) with regards to specific lapse/s in your service experience.

Reviewed May 4, 2009

I only have to hear the word Westin to think "Heavenly Bed". Starwood's trademarked Heavenly Bed - umpteen layers of happiness (7 I think) - is a massive draw for me. I never sleep so well as in a Heavenly Bed. So when my boyfriend suggested the Westin I didn't have to think twice. Yes Please. This is a very chic and comfortable hotel; I really loved the bold design. We had a fab sea view room with a lovely bath and walk-in shower; very similar to the bathroom at the (more expensive) Madinat Jumeirah on my previous stay, in fact. We only stayed two nights (during the Comedy Festival which was taking place across the road) and spent one whole day cruising the beautiful "fjords" in Oman, so the only F&B elements we sampled were salads by the pool (fine), and room service (great, especially the burger) plus some fantastic pina coladas at the swim-up bar. I would LOVE to have tried the Indian restaurant and the wine bar, in particular, but there simply wasn't time. The ladies' loo near the wine bar is gorgeous and has a full-time loo attendant (I always think this is a benchmark). The freeform lagoon-style pool is lovely, and there's also a lap pool for swimming lengths. My boyfriend was slightly irritated by the swimming lessons that were taking places while we lounged nearby, but we could easily have moved. As usual I regretted not having time to take advantage of the spa and gym facilities.

Before arriving at the Westin I had noted comments on TripAdvisor regarding service at the pool. It took us a wee while to summon a waiter, but once he arrived he was totally brilliant and very attentive, considering he appeared to be the only one on duty. Our one major cavil with the Westin was that we were going onto Bab al Shams, so when the porter came to the room to collect our luggage we gave him the car valet tag and asked him to make sure the luggage went straight into the car. We arrived at Bab al Shams to discover this hadn't happened. We had no luggage (silly us for not checking). Luckily Bab al Shams is less than an hour's drive from the Westin, who sent the luggage on in a car (this took some considerable persuasion on the part of my charming and persuasive boyfriend). Had it been a three hour drive or longer, our stay at both hotels would have been severely marred. As it happened, we had some lunch, played croquet, had a massage (already booked) and then returned to our room to find our luggage there, so it was no big deal.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DanielleNay
minaseyahi, General Manager at The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2009

Dear drparty,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Dubai for your recent holiday. We're glad you enjoyed the 5-star service and facilities at the resort and particularly the Westin Heavenly Bed!

We were also pleased to read that the baggage issue was resolved and that it did not impact your stay and the possibility of returning back to the Hotel. Thank you again for your comments.