“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #58 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed October 19, 2008

Just returned from a 10 day stay at the Westin with my husband and 9 yr old son on a bed and breakfast basis. After reading mixed reports on this site I was a liitle unsure what to expect, but we were absolutely amazed when we arrived at the hotel. Absolutely stunning hotel visually. We were met by very friendly staff who provided ice cold water, chocolates and a cold flannels on arrival. We were checked into our room very promptly but they had forgotten to put in an extra bed for our son, but apologised and swifly brought one to the room. The room itself was very spacious even with the extra bed, very clean, bottled water and ice in an ice bucket provided. We were on the 6th floor and our balcony looked out onto the pools, beach, palm etc. The bathroom had bath and sperate shower cubicle and toilet cubicle with marble everywhere, dressing gowns & slippers provided. There is a free coffee maker in the room and chargeable mini bar and snacks which appeared a bit pricey! They will remove the contents of the mini bar on request if you which to use the chiller for you own drinks/snacks which we did.

Each evening more complimentry bottles of water, ice and chocolates were left in our room. Half way through our stay my son was left a complimentry 'Westin Camel' on his bed.

The Blue Orange restaurant is still closed sot he breakfast was either in the Spice Emporium or Hunters Grill, both served the same food, all very good buffet selection. One morning the food was a little cold though. We did eat most of our evening meals out, but did try the Hotel's Hunters Grill which served very good quality food and the most huge steaks! It also has a seperate kids menu for the younger ones or those kids who are fussy and prefer the nuggets or burger and chips!

Travelling with a child we found that we could not drink in the hotel bars in the evening in the Westin. We could obviously have a drink in the restaurants with a meal, but were a bit restricted after. Although we could have perhaps ordered more drinks after our meal, and there was absolutely no pressure to leave our table, it didn't seem right to sit at a restaurant table just drinking. The only place we could have a drink was in Le Meridien's Barasti bar on the beach, which is really great from Sunday to Wednesday with big bed seats looking out to sea and suitable to take children as they can play in the floodlit sand. Be warned it is heaving and so busy Thursday to Saturday you have to fight your way through (drunken brits mostly I'm ashamed to say) to the bar and not really the place to take small children on those days.

The location of the hotel is great. Only a 5 minute cab ride to the marina, which cost between 8-10 Dhs, and cabs where readily available. The Hotel has it's own private beach and has several swimming pools. The facilities of the westin and Le Meridien are shared so you can wonder between the two. Our son preferred the infinity pool in Le Merdien because it starts shallow and progresses deeper, whereas the long winding pool at the Westin was the same depth all round which was up to my neck when standing and well over my son's head which is fine if you are a confident swimmer. Both the Westin and Le Merdien have shaded childrens pools but it is more for toddlers and babies. There are pool bars serving both drinks and great food for lunch and early evening and swim up bars. You can even order food & drinks sitting round the pool or even on the beach. Ice cold flannels where brought round the pool area a couple of times a day or more.

If your feeling energetic you can hire sailing boats, kayaks, sail boards etc from the beach. The kayaks are free for half an hour. You can go water skiing or take an hour speed boat trip around the palm which I would definately recommend for 700 Dhs for up to 6 people. (you can take some great photos of Atlantis, Burj al Arab, coastline etc)

The Westin kids club is still not open but my son joined Le Meridien kids club which is based between the two hotels. There were not many kids at the hotels when we were there but never the less the club still ran. I must say it was wonderful. The staff were extremely good and well trained, I felt completely happy leaving my son in their care. All staff were very frinedly and attentive with the kids. So many activities they can do from football, basketball, table tennis, snorkelling, sailing, banana boat to creative model making, dvd's even playstation! My son was the only child wanting to try snorkelling one day, so Sam & Dillon took my son and even my husband joined the kids club that day and they took him!

All in all a fantastic hotel and holiday. All the staff where great and we were waited on hand and foot, we couldn't even put our own beach towells on the sun loungers! I would definately recommend this hotel, and will be going back next year.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank c11000
minaseyahi, General Manager at The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2008

Dear caroline11000,

Thank you so much for your detailed review and recommendation of The Westin Dubai - we're glad we could make your stay with us a memorable one. Looking forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you to Dubai!

Reviewed October 14, 2008

First trip to Dubai and first stay at a 5 star hotel so was really looking forward to the whole experiance. Dubai was fantastic but have to say was disappointed with The Westin as i was expecting 5 star treatment.

LOCATION: Took us about 30mins to get there from the airport, the hotel is opposite the Media City in Dubai. I must say i was very impressed when we drove up to it, it definiatly has the wow factor on entrance.

STAFF: Arrived early and got checked-in ok, thought staff were pleasant enough at front desk. Must say that nearly all the staff always had a smile on their face and would greet you with a hello which was nice. Also the staff who worked down at the poolside were very nice always making sure you were ok for drinks etc..
Room service staff were abit hit and miss as twice they delivered us the wrong order which was fustrating.

ROOMS: Was on the 3rd floor and had a balcony view over the pool & the bay across dubai towards the Palms. They were big rooms with plenty of space and the bed's were very comfy. Nice bathroom as well with a big walk in shower and bath. The bathroom had toiletrees but i was abit disappointed as i expected something luxurious (being a 5 star) but it was just wee bottles of the Westin's own brand which were not very pleasnt. There was plenty of storage space for clothes etc.. Large screen tv but they had about 59 chanels with not much on, although they did show premiership football so i was glad of that. Laundry was changed daily although one of the dressing gowns we got was stained and we left it out to be cleaned but for some reason it was just hung up again still dirty so wasn't very happy about that.

AMENITIES: Visited the gym which had all the basic equipment and also a jacuzzi, steam and sauna rooms. The hotel also had a spa but me or the girlfriend never got round to using it. They also had free internet access on about 6 computers in the business centre which came in handy. The pool area was very nice as there was an adult only section so you could stay away from any screaming kids and chill out, also for the hotel backing onto the beach it was handy for a dip into the sea if you fancied it.
As for the bar's and restaurants we only ate twice in the hotel, once for breakfast which was ok except for the very watery scrambled eggs and then on our first night we had a buffet diner in the ballroom lounge which was terrible. The selection was poor and the food not very nice. I think the only thing we enjoyed were the sweets.

To sum up the Westin is impressive when you arrive i could definatly state that but the time my girlfriend and i were their it was certainly let down by quite a few factors. We'll be looking to return to Dubai sometime propably to another hotel and will be anxious to see what that 5 star experiance is like.

2  Thank DCoopUlster

Dear DCoopUlster,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall.

I also reviewed your comments regarding your stay and amenities at The Westin Dubai. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. Again, thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Reviewed October 14, 2008

My husband and I have just returned from a 10 night stay at this most amazing hotel.

We booked our holiday through Virgin Holidays (they were not to helpfull over the phone in the 'uk'), however from setting off from Heathrow Airport we could not fault their service. Good flight. A representive was at the Dubai airport even before we went through custom's. I didn't think things could get much better.

Well I was so wrong! Private transfer was waiting for us once we collected our bags which was very quick. A pleasant journey to the Hotel.

On arriving at the 'Westin'....WOW...WOW. factor. When you look around the Hotel it has to be a TRIPLE WOW! Just simply an AMAZING Hotel.

Check in was quick and easy, however our room wasn't ready but we knew it wouldn't be. We used the Spa and within 1hour of arriving to the hotel our room was ready and to our delight we got an upgraded room due to the fact it was our 20th wedding anniversary. Again WOW!

Im not going to go on to long and bore you with every small detail but what I will say is.........This hotel is a 5 STAR . We can always pick and find faults in anything we buy or do.....So I suggest don't look for them, 'We are all supposed to be on Holiday'.

I have stayed at many 5 star hotels and this one BEATS THE LOT OF THEM.

The food and all members of this team are just fantastic. The staff are truely there to make your holiday or short stay as perfect as possible and they really want 'US ' to be happy.

Little touches, such as putting your beach towel on your sun lounger which they have carried for you to your selected area either around the poolside or on the beach to cleaning your sunglasses while you lazily sunbathe. Heaven!

I viewed the Trip Advisor reference this Hotel many times after I paid for the holiday, and I was very very dissapointed with the remarks of others. I so wish I didn't waste my time worrying what the holiday was going to be like.....Because my Husband and I have just had the' Most Amazing and Best Hoilday EVER'!

Sit back and just ENJOY..

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pebbles67

Dear pebbles67,

Thank you for your glowing comments highlighting your experience at The Westin Dubai - we're so glad we could make your anniversary a memorable one. We hope to welcome you back at The Westin on your next trip to Dubai!

Reviewed October 12, 2008

Went to the 'Westin to celebrate my partners birthday. The room could not have been better, large balcony, beautiful bathroom, great views over looking the palm and the Atlantis Hotel in the distance. We had booked on a half board basis and when we arrived we were told that the Blue Orange restaurant had closed so we could either eat from a set menu in one of their other restaurants or walk to the Hotel next door for a buffet dinner. This all went well until a conference party booked into the hotel after which it seemed that communication between the staff really broke down. A couple of mornings we were told we could not eat breakfast in a particular restaurant as the conference party was there, and had to move to another one and on our last night after booking into Hunters restaurant, we were told that the set menu was off and that we would have to order from the al a carte menu but they would give us an allowance of 100 dhs per person against the cost, (not exactly what you would expect when you have paid for half board). Only other niggle was the taxis, we soon found out that the private taxis at the hotel cost around three times as much as the state taxis but they were happy to find us a state taxi once we refused to travel in theirs.

Apart from this, the hotel is excellent, staff great, location perfect. Would not book half board there again though

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SueWakefield

Dear SueWakefield,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Westin Dubai overall.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us - we take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for any inconvenience you faced with regards to dining arrangements. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues.

Reviewed October 9, 2008

Me and my husband wanted to go somewhere special for our 10th Wedding Anniversay and decided on The Westin. We arrived at the hotel at 0300 hrs and we were greeted with a smile, cold towel and a cool refreshing drink. We were quickly shown to our room and given a quick tour of the room. I didn't think I would beable to sleep as I was so excited... the room was amazing, the bathroom was particulary luxourious, but as soon as my head hit the heavenly bed I was asleep!!!

We were a bit unsure of where we should be eating our breakfast as the Blue Orange was closed, but we followed another couple (who were also a little lost) and we managed to find our way to The Spice Emporium. The breakfast here was ok, but I found the room a little dark and not very inviting for breakfast.

After breakfast we made our way to the pool...the lifeguards and pool guys are excellent. The pool guys ensure you are comfortable and that your towel is straight! and the lifeguards make sure the the kids don't stray into the adult pool - very handy if you are looking for some peace and quiet.

We were staying half board so we were told we could eat at Hunters, so we made our way their and we were shown to our seats and served a set menu. Ithought that we would be charged for this, but we wasn't, because the buffet was not available on our first day, however on our 2nd day there were signs directing us to the meeting room...it seemed a little strange to be having our Dinner in a meeting room, but the food was excellent!

I am very well known for being a pudding queen and I was not disappointed !

All in all I would say that the staff are very friendly and attentive without being intrusive and the food is excellent.

I also like the fact that when you are by the pool, they bring cold towels, shot glasses of fruit slush, cucumber for your eyes, and ice cold bottle of water to spray on your face.

1  Thank Freebs72

Dear Freebs72,

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us on the occasion of your 10th wedding anniversary at The Westin Dubai. It was nice to hear that our associates exceeded your expectations. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed October 4, 2008

Facts: We booked two rooms, one with king and other with 2 queens connected by a common hallway. Really comfortable beds and rollaway was even comfortable. Bathrooms with separate tub and shower, beautiful heavenly bath towels. Room service was fast and nice and I think they have one of the best kids menus in the city and nicely priced. My daughters got a huge bowl of mac and cheese and couldn't eat it all. The swimming pool and beah facilities are great with a lazy river pool, lap pool and children's pool. Beach and water sports - my daughter went on the donut ride for an extra 140 dhs and she had a lot of fun. Beach looks onto the palm island. Spa: booked a massage with the spa and then they said there was no appointment and manager was quite rude and ended up walking away. As a whole the staff was rude, untrained and it seemed they didn't like their job: from the front desk to the hostess for breakfast. But the hotel itself is amazing and I will definetly return hoping they train their staff better. As my husband said he won't return and pay that much for a room until their staff treats him as a valued customer.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank alibeth

Dear alibeth,

Firstly I would like to say thank you for taking the time to write the review you posted on Trip Advisor dated October 4th, 2008. We do value all feedback from our guests both, positive and negative, as this is the only way to ensure we continue to grow and evolve as a business.

I would like to assure you that I do read all reviews and act on any specific comments. I would like to apologize for any negative experience you had with regards to our associates. Please know that this was well below our usual standards and we would love to receive your detailed feedback to ensure that this does not happen again (please feel free to contact us at feedback.minaseyahi@starwoodhotels.com).

Should your travels ever bring you to back to Dubai, we do hope you would consider staying with us again.

Reviewed October 3, 2008

returned from the westin on 25 september having spent 5 nights there - first trip to dubai for myself and hubby and i would say the last - while we certainly did enjoy the time we spent there it is not a resort i would return to - the hotel itself looks fantastic both from the outside and also the common areas and rooms are fabulous but the staff are lacking that little bit extra with the exception of birendra in senyar who we have already made a booking with to take us trekking in nepal ( his home country) next year!!!

We have visited most major far eastern countries and the service we have received in hong kong and singapore far exceeds that which we paid for in dubai - in fact you could almost say we feel ripped off - the food in the hotel was nearly always cold, restaurant staff were incapable of setting tables or remembering orders for coffee or butter - we had the misfortune of having dinner in waves at the meridien next door on the thursday night and the duty manager there should without question be sacked - she was taking bookings for tables and making people wait while her waiting staff simply led people straight to tables who had just walked in - i actually overheard her say she didn't know what she was doing and things were out of control - believe me the restaurant was busy but not exceptionally so!!!

I feel that for the prices the westin expect people to pay they are overcharging an extortianate amount - if i had made a booking here with hindsight i would change if it was possible to do so but if not just go and enjoy yourself bearing the above points in mind.

3  Thank Juicylady

Dear Juicylady,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We're glad to learn that you found The Westin Dubai's facilities and rooms impressive.

As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for your other comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service. If you would like to discuss your experience with a member of the hotel staff, please send an email to feedback.minaseyahi@starwoodhotels.com so we may address it with you directly.