“An architectural masterpiece”

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“An architectural masterpiece”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2011

If Shah ( Imam ) mosque was in any other country , probably it would become one of the most famous buildings in the world . I am an architecture student , and this is the most astonishing place I've been to . I have no relegion beleifs , but the art of the designers is surprisingly impressive . I remember the first time I went there , I couldn't stop myself crying .
The orientation of Naqshe Jahan square is 45 degrees different from " Qebleh " 's ( the orientation which muslims must pray ) orientation . So the architect does an odd job : the two " minarets " which are visible from the Naqshe Jahan are just to introduce the entrance to the mosque , and to complete the symmetry with the opposite side of the square . When you enter the Mosque , without even feeling it , the orientation changes to the Qebleh , so when you enter the main yard you can't recognise that the interior walls of the yard are NOT parallel with the walls of the Naqshe Jahan square . You see two other " Minaret "s in the yard , and you can't believe your eyes when you see you are not the same way as you entered .
The scale of the mosque and the yard is very meaningful , to make you fall on your knees against your God . Architecture students know Louis Kahn very well . It is told that inn the time he visited Shah Mosque ( in the former regime ) , he was deeply impressed and even cried .
There is another interesting and strange fact about this place and that's it;s acoustics . There is a point in the middle of the mosque which every whisper could be heard in every part of the interior space , and the echo is very very much repeatetive . It was used for the times that the Mullah of the mosque had a speech to make and every one in the mosque could here it without using loud noise .
The other elements such as the secretful lightning and the ornamants are the things that you must discover it yourself .

Visited January 2011
3 Thank Kamyar_77

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Talk with mullah in Imam mosque”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2011

Imam Mosque is a central mosque in Isfahan. It is very beautiful, so you have to go inside. Entrance ticket costs 5000 rials (0.5$). The dom, floor somewhere covered by perfect mosaic.

The most important thing for me I did in this mosque, I have an half an hour talk with a mullah. He was sitting in a shadow, I think, as usual. While I passed by, he invited me sit nearby. We talked about politics, religion, other iranian people stopped near us and listening our conversation (we talked in english).

The main part of understanding other country is talking with locals. Imam Mosque is a place where, if you`re lucky, find this mullah and talk with him. This mosque is a religious center of Isfahan.

Visited April 2010