“The greatness of Heliopolis/Baalbek”
Review of Temples of Baalbek

Temples of Baalbek
Book In Advance
$95.00*
Anjar, Baalbek and Ksara Day Trip from Beirut
$97.33*
and up
Day Tour: Ksara Winery, Lady of Zahle Monastery, Baalbek Castle and Taanayel...
$48.88*
Private Tour: Anjar, Baalbek and Ksara Day Trip from Beirut
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Baalbeck
Smederevska Palanka
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“The greatness of Heliopolis/Baalbek”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Amazing sight, showing in full power of Roman Empire... Colossal temples and other objects which are excavated are a smaller peace of the great city of Helios/ Baal (Sun) buried under the actual contemporary town of Baalbek. Walk gently.. you might be walking over Ishtar's or Dionis' traces...

Visited May 2013

• Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Amazing Place - Now is a good time to visit.”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is a great place to visit. I had a hire car and only 3 nights in Beirut / Lebabon.
Took me two hours to drive up to Baalbek from Beirut. Driving in Beirut is manageable but sure is nerve wracking. Be prepared to be stopped at the various army checkpoints as you approach Baalbeck. I found parking on a side street (easy) and walked across to the temple area. There is a small enterance fee.

Due to its proximity to the Syrian border, I found the place incredibly empty. In fact when I arrived at 11am, I had the entire place to myself! I couldnt believe it. This is Lebanons most important historic site and I could wander around all by myself.

I was offered a tour guide, but I declined as I had a good guide book with me.

Visited April 2014
Portland, Oregon
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A great example of well preserved Roman ruins”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I visited Baalbek at the end of March and it was one of the most impressive examples of Roman ruins in the middle east. The weather was very pleasant and the ruins were almost deserted (no tourism due to the troubles in Syria). I spent several hours wandering around the site and got some fantastic pictures. There were a few people attempting to sell souvenirs, but after a firm NO they went on their way. Parking was free and entry is less if you are a resident of Lebanon but I think the cost was about $10 per person and well worth it. There was no charge for children and it is a great place for them to run around and pose for pictures next to some huge columns and rocks. The area seemed quite safe and it is an amazing place to visit. It is definitely do-able in a day from Beirut (a long day).

Visited March 2014
Taunton, England, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit...”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Excellent for a slow wander round, lots of hassle from people trying to sell you souvenirs, (no tourists as they have all been put of by the troubles). Don't let it put you off, just be sensible!!

Visited March 2014
Dublin, Ireland
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Very impressive..”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I visited Baalbek temples with my girlfriend a few weeks ago whilst travelling through the middle-east, we were staying in beirut and used public buses for all our travels, we were initially discouraged from going to Baalbek due to clashes that had happened there in the days previously but opted to go and weren't let down, the bus cost a few thousand ll and took nearly 3 hours each way but at a couple dollars compared to $120 for a taxi it was worth it and added to the adventure. The buses can be got from 'Cola street'. The temples themselves were mind blowing, enormous structures very very impressive, there were very few people there at all so we wandered round alone getting great pictures, the outside town is a busy place and we got some great local food, buses leave regularly from outside. We did find it safe as in friendly, no one hassled us and we were the only tourists there however upon arriving back to beirut we learned a carbomb had gone off in Baalbek a few km from the temples (not that we noticed!) and on our last day in beirut a suicide bomber detonated on a public bus so things to consider but aside from that it really was a beautiful and friendly atmosphere, make sure and bring ID as regular checkpoints and give yourself plenty of time so get there early

Visited January 2014