Book In Advance

from $95.00
More Info
from $48.88
More Info
All reviews roman ruins day trip bacchus temple visiting lebanon bekaa valley two hours amazing site mind blowing small museum t shirts international festival turkey well worth the trip amazing place sheer size temple complex beirut
Reviewed 2 days ago

I was wondering about the trip to Baalbek for two reasons - look for some local Hezbollah opinion and see the temples. This place is unique in the world. I really recommend to come here and see them.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

To understand the complexities of Middle East today, it’s vital and most interesting to visit Baalbek! The structures are amazing yet it’s even more informative to learn the layers of history at Baalbek. I’d recommend you have a tour guide because there is so much context!

Reviewed 1 week ago

The sanctuary ruins at Baalbek was the reason for my visit in Lebanon. And they were better than anticipated! The visible ruins mainly date to 1st-3rd century AD, but the finds in Baalbek go back to Chalcolitikum (copper stone age c. 4000-3200 BC).
Besides the fantastik ruins (some of the largest temples of the ancient Roman world), there is a nice small museum, where one also can see information about Baalbek until the middle ages and the ancient cemeteries in the area.
In the vaults under the propylaiae (entrance to the sanctuary) and below the temple square there is a fantastic "poster" museum about Heliopolis / Baalbek with texts, floor plans, maps and photos about Baalbek and the sanctuary up to the Arabic arrival in 635. Really nicely made.
The huge pillars of the Jupiter Temple are covered due to restoration, but you can stil get an idea about size of the temple. But then the so-called Bacchus temple was so much more beautiful and well-preserved. It may be a Merkur temple, but there are inscriptions missing.
And around the sanctuary there are several excavations, that we did not have time to visit beside the stone quarry where there are two enormous stones.
All in all it was just a magnificant site. Unfortunately, we had barely 3 hours and I could have spent days.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The ruins here are really great. I was on a private tour and the company hired a guide to show me around the site. There are quite a few steps and NO handrails. I had a walking stick and the guide gave me his hand for the many TALL steps with no railings. Don't wait to visit if you are getting up in years with any walking difficulty. Bathroom was clean thanks to tipping the attendant. Beyond these logistics, I was VERY impressed with these magnificent ruins!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Absolutely amazing ruins, mainly from Roman time with templates to Bacchus, Jupiter and Venus. To Ba'al and many other denominational gods.

It's a great 2-3 hour walk, made even better if you can get a guide - they know so much that it greatly enhances the experience. Remember to have a tip ready for them as they really earn it.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We sent two full hours in this magnificent place, for me the best conserved Roman temples I have ever seen. Go early in the morning and you will be alone (it is a two hours drive from Beyrout).

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is where you can have a tour across cultures and enjoy the most preserved Roman Temples in the world

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Of all the many day trips we did in lebanon, this place beat them all, even the Jeita Grotto. The ruins are very well preserved and you get a good overview of how it looked back in Ancient times. The ticket price was 15,000 Lebanese pound per person. At first we thought it was a bit steep but it's well worth the money. There's even an museum there. Not to be missed.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The temples are stunningly huge and still well preserved. Makes one wonder how ancient men could build such giant structures that stand the test of time.

Reviewed October 9, 2018

This place is just stunning - it is so impressive in terms of size and grandeur & beauty, and for the fact that so much has remained intact. It eclipses any other Roman remains that I have seen anywhere in the world.

This was the highlight of our trip to Lebanon. We hired a driver in Lebanon for a trip to here & the Cedars of Lebanon. We were of course a little concerned as the UK Foreign Office advise against travelling here, but we spoke to sensible locals in Beirut and they said there was no issue going there currently. I'm so glad we did go. And it was even moire magical as it was almost deserted, with only a handful of other tourists. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

One thing to beware of - the little shops near the entrance are notorious for selling fake old coins they swear they have found near the site. They are fakes, so don't be fooled. (Says someone who was fooled - and the net is awash with others complaining about this!).

But that aside, it was a magical place to visit.

1  Thank NMHastings