“bedbugs in hotel jupiter”
Review of Hotel Jupiter

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Baalbeck
Hotel Jupiter
Ranked #2 of 2 Baalbeck B&B and Inns
Napoli-Victoria
“bedbugs in hotel jupiter”
Reviewed June 17, 2010

I read the other comments before booking this hotel, and decided to stay there, paying 60 $ per night for a double room. I agree with the others, the owner is lovely and helpful, the location of the hotel is great, the room large and not hot (in the beginning of June). But there are bedbugs in the beds. These unpleasant insects leave bites that are not immediately itchy but get itchy days after, and in a week have gotten worse and given me continuous itch and now I am on cortisone, antibiotics and something to detoxify the blood. The bedbugs are very hard to see, they live in mattresses, come out only at night, and inject some kind of anaesthetic substance, so you do not feel the bites and they can continue undisturbed for a long time, causing a lot of damage. Now, not everybody reacts the same way, but I wanted to make sure that people know what they are going to find before deciding to stay there.
Two more notes: the beds themselves are VERY uncomfortable, and the bathroom was dirty: we asked for it to be cleaned and they cleaned it in front of us, without using any detergent, just with water.
I hope the owner will read this and take the necessary steps to get rid of these bedbugs.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank daunia

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Hotel Jupiter is the ugly duckling to the more well-known Palmyra Hotel next door. However it is the beautiful swan when it comes to room rates and quality. The owner is friendly, hospitable and has decorated the place wonderfully with traditional ornaments and furniture, including in the rooms. The rooms overlooking the ruins are very nice and spacious, but the bathrooms are of questionable cleanliness and the rooms really need fans. At night, leaving the window open is a recipe for no sleep as the street outside is noisy at all hours. There are quieter rooms on the other side of the courtyard but they don't have a view.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Gloucestershire, England
Reviewed April 29, 2010

I had booked by phone well in advance and we were expected. The owner helped deal with our crazy taxi driver from Hamah who tried to tell us we had to pay him direct when we had already payed through the other hotel. The room was large and overlooked the ruins, and water eventually ran hot, though electicity was a bit intermittant. The bed was VERY HARD and lacked a top sheet. Room rate does not include breakfast, and the hotel owner said he could organise that if we wanted, or we could go next door to the bakery/food bar - it was all the same to him as he owned all the shops on that bit of the street and they paid him rent. Somehow he didn't give off a sense of hospitality, and the maid didn't seem very content with het lot. We went next door for breakfast and had a delicious wrap with yoghurt and tomatoes and olives....mmm... But he did fix us up with an excellent taxi driver to take us over the mountain to Bcharre.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed April 16, 2010

If it weren't facing the ruins (and if you don't get a room facing the ruins)--I would definitey say to skip it. For the cost ($35/person and no breakfast) it is poorly maintained (e.g. needs paint) and the bathroom is cramped. Beds are hard and pillows uncomfortable. Owner can be charming I suppose, but is getting rich off foreigners who have only the Jupiter and the Palymra to choose from. No breakfast is a pain, as nearby places charge tourist prices for food. It's all about location, location. location.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
copenhagen
Reviewed April 9, 2010

The Jupiter Hotel is a no-frills hotel, but the owner is very friendly and
the view to the ruins is great.
I don´t know if it is a regular feature but we were invited to join the owner on his morning stroll through town while he told us about life in Balbeck and his love for poetry. He also recommended us a good local food restaurant - not the one next door, but a 5 min stroll down towards the roman baths.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Eu
Reviewed April 1, 2010

There aren't any options in Baalbeck sadly. This place is terrible in my opinion, I stayed there in December and there was no heat in the rooms and outside it was freezing. Though the owner brought me an electric heater it was too small to heat the whole room.

If you want to visit Baalbek just do it on a day trip, there's no use spending the night there.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Seria, Brunei Darussalam
Reviewed March 29, 2010

If you are travelling to Lebanon, Do stay at Baalbek
I had picked up Jupter hotel based on the reviews on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to tell you that I enjoyed my stay.

I had booked 2 rooms via phone (40$ each, twin beds). Probably I had spoken to owner's son who had forgotten to write the reservation in the diary they mantain. When We arrived, the owner said he was unaware of any such reservation, but since he had rooms he invited us. (Note - Do confirm your reservation before u leave for lebanon)

The hotel has a excellent location and provides stunning views of the Jupiter and mercury Temple. Room is clean and comfortable considering you are staying in non so plush localities of Lebanon. Hotel has rooms on 2 floors. Our rooms were on 1st floor (with TV and Heating) . I had never seen the diesel drip heaters, so It was new experience. It does warms your room very quickly. Not much diesel was given to us so the heater stopped mid night ( I realised it only when I woke up next morning)

It can get quite cold in Baalbek and owner does provide 3 blankets per person :)> so it should not be issue. Does not have 24 hour hot water supply (only in morning). so if u planning a shower in the evening. postpone it.

The rooms provide stunning views of ruins. Thanks to excellent lighting, we got some good pictures in the night. My best pictures were in the morning when sunlight comes over the ruins.

If you stay in baalbek, u can see the ruins by 11 AM and leave back for Beirut . So u get plenty of time to enjoy the history. Most tourist arrive from Beirut around 10 - 11 AM. So u can have the whole area by yourself.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Albela_Musafir

Been to Hotel Jupiter? Share your experiences!