“Why all the hate ? This a perfect weekend gateaway in saudi”

Durrah Beach Resort
Ranked #86 of 159 Hotels in Jeddah
“Why all the hate ? This a perfect weekend gateaway in saudi”
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

I dont understand why all the hate the view is breath taken the room was fairly clean the staff was friendly and caring. Men and women have more freedom no abayas required nor clothing limitation. You can confidently wear any swimsuit you like. The breakfas was very good. U can rent a jetski jetboat golfcar everything is available. U can see the photos and have an idea

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Ghadeer A

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Arabic first
Oak Park, California
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Stayed here in Feb-March 2011. The place is deserted Saturday to Wednesday, and packed on Thursday and Friday. About 40 minutes north of the airport, and rather secluded. Steps from the red sea, there is a marina as well. Only a few restaurants and activities. Great place to let the kiddies splash in the sea.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank WorldTraveller550
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed January 29, 2010

if you want to have fun and swim in or out in the sea you can go to the Durrah but you have to check if it was new villa or not 'cause the new villas are the cleanest.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Afnan991
London
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I use Trip Advisor often when I travel and wasn't expecting much after I read the reviews for this hotel. As soon as I arrived I was pleasently surprised. I don't think some people have seen soviet or communist architecture because this place is not in that category. More European colonial I would say. The first and most important point to remember is that this hotel is in KSA with all of the lifestyle restrictions that imposes. So I wouldn't travel from outside of the country to holiday there but if you are in or around Jeddah then this is the in place to go. I believe there is more freedom for Saudis within the compound too.
The staff and management were great I thought. There were a lot of europeans at the hotel due to the event we were working on and the hotel tried to accommodate all requests as best they could. English was spoken by pretty much all staff to a lesser degree but I always got my point across and they always tried to help. Room cleaning was patchy as were the selection of different electrical sockets available in the rooms.
The food from the kitchens was limited in scope but top notch for quality especially the seafood, particularly the jumbo prawns. Also recommended is the lemon juice with mint drink that was occassionally available in the restaurant.
I was there as the Holy Month of Ramadan began and it was at that point that the hotel quietened down. Up to that point the entire night is taken up with the kids slamming doors and sliding around the stone floored corridors, the women and girls driving about in golf buggies and the male members of the family ripping it up on quads and motorbikes or cruising in their humvees with the rap music turned up. A taste of Arabian Grafitti although it should be no suprise that they are petrol heads. That all changed during Ramadan as I don't think it is so popular to holiday at that time if you are muslim.
The swimming pool was a no-go area for me. I think I saw the bottom of the pool twice in the month that I was there. This could partly be explained by the modest habit of the girls and women to swim in their clothes, although not totally.
As I was working nights and sleeping days I didn't get to see the coral reef or use the jet-skis but both are there. it has to be said that if you swim outside of the designated zone you are likely to get hit by a jet-ski going at full speed as they have no limit or policing of the riders, who are children a lot of the time. The Red Sea is salty but clear and beautifully blue so no problems there at all. That said you will see the sight of women in their abayas sat up to their nacks in the sea on plastic chairs so be prepared to swallow a little water.
On the whole for it's location and the restrictions within the country I thought the hotel made a good fist of looking after us.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank K-rotrigs
London
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I wrote an earlier - since removed - scathing review based on first impressions, but subsequently warmed a little to the place. it does have a very forbidding eastern-europe-in-the-1950s aspect to it. But given it's in Saudi Arabia, what more can we expect? They don't do seaside in the middle east, so i suppose this is as good as it gets (cripes i'd rather spend a week here than at one of those daily-mail-reader bling palaces in Dubai).
Plus the food was excellent, and available 24 hours a day - important when you're working and can't rely on when the next meal's coming. Free wiFi in the lobby was handy too.
Also it was nice to see young Saudi couples able to relax and wander round in each other's company (blimey, hand in hand even) in casual western dress without fear of being banged up or sentenced to 100 lashes. More of this please in the Kingdom of Humanity.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
UK
Reviewed May 12, 2009

I've been in two minds on what to post on this hotel. As the Otterman says, the architecture around the hotel comes direct from the Ceausescu school of design. Your approach is through security gates, over numerous lethal speed bumps and along roads lined by what look like concrete tank traps. But the hotel itself is a modest, two story affair with two wings off an airy, central atrium with a fairly attractive pool complex outside.

My ground floor room was perfectly adequate for my needs. A big (for this 6 footer) bed with clean sheets and duvet, plenty of hanging space, safe, a mini fridge and large new colour widescreen tv with satellite feeds. No real desk space which would have made working from it difficult. The curtains are paper thin though. The bathroom was fairly well equipped too with a bidet and wall mounted hairdryer, large mirror, free toiletries, clean towels and - amazingly - toilet roll but no plug in the sink.

Free wi-fi as mentioned but only in the foyer. Breakfast doesn't add up to much but the evening food has been pretty good. There are a lot of staff drifting around, probably wondering what they're doing in the middle of nowhere. English levels are poor to moderate but they're very pleasant all the same.

To surmise, I've stayed in far better but far worse too - and some of the latter were in the UK or the USA, not in Saudi Arabia.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank MacBookman
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2007

We are currently based in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, which is a very cosmopolitan city in the Kingdom. By word of mouth we heard about Durrah Beach Resort and thought it would be a nice short getaway with the children, who are aged 2 and 3. Being Ramadan, we got a very good rate so we decided on the diplomatic suite. We figured this would give us lots of space and would be comfortable when we wanted to be indoors out of the heat.

Our check-in went smoothly, and we were taken to room 604. It was huge - two bedrooms, a huge lounge/dining, and two bathrooms, one being an ensuite. We were disappointed that there was no carpet in any of the rooms in the suite, but didn't think too much of it. We found that the air conditioning in the main bedroom was not working, nor was the doorbell.

It was disappointing that even being a suite there were no tea/coffee facilities, no juice or water in the bar fridge, and one roll of toilet paper between the two bathrooms. Towels were minimal too. There was no information about the hotel, nothing about facilities or opening hours. The main bedroom had no TV or alarm clock.

Even being Ramadan, we were able to order room service and the prices were reasonable. The food came in a reasonable time too.

The beach was nice and close, and the pool was fine for us and the kids, not a deep one though. This is a resort where women can wear normal beachwear, and an abaya is not required.

Our not-so-pleasant experience began with dinner, when my husband was waiting for the one remaining table, and a group of outside guests entered, went straight past my husband who was waiting with two children, and the manager seated them at that table. When my husband told the manager that we were guests at the hotel and waiting for that table, he simply walked away and ignored him. After quite a wait we were eventually given a table out in the corridor.

Going back to our room there were no lights in the foyer on the floor level of our room, and no lights outside our room.

When we got back to the room we found that all the floors were damp. The air conditioning appeared to be working, but all the floors had become very slippery and damp, and our children kept slipping over.

We had paid for 2 nights, but that evening we decided to leave the next morning, it was all becoming very uncomfortable. The floors remained damp no matter how much air conditioning we turned on. The dining table chair seats were also damp.

We checked out the next morning, and luckily they refunded us the remaining night - we had paid cash ahead of time. It was very disappinting - what was promoted as an upscale resort outside of Jeddah was very uncomfortable, badly maintained, and the staff had a poor attitude towards guests.

• Liked — location on the Red Sea, size of the rooms
  • Disliked — service, maintenance, quality of the rooms, comfort
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
10 Thank jumpbackjack

Travelers are raving about these Jeddah hotels