“A delightful and unexpected cafe” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Seating, Waitstaff
Sheffield
“A delightful and unexpected cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was lucky enough to be taken here by Saudi female friends, as a surprise during my first visit to Jeddah. Stepping inside the cool interior from the hot courtyard was like being transported thousands of miles back to Europe! The decor is mixed European, with painted dancing couples on the walls, sayings and phrases in English, and a whole host of other things going on! I was told that it was all done by one of the two proprietoresses (Layla?), who were both there to greet us on arrival.

There are only a few tables and there were two or three small groups and couples in that night. I do not think that it is segregated, so this might be a very nice meeting place for mixed groups in Jeddah.

The food was eclectic. We started with salads and snacks such as small fajitas, shawarma and savoury pastries (e.g. with foul filling), followed by wonderful cakes - carrot cake, rich chocolate and, to my delight, scones with jam and cream! Unfortunately, I ate far, far too much and left quite early with a groaning stomach. I even did not require breakfast the next day, usually my star meal of the day.

This is more of a cafe than a restaurant, but a filling(!) meal can easily be put together from delicious ingredients here. The ambience is relaxed and one group was clearly making a night of it over a card game. Definitely a place to visit again, perhaps with a little more self-control!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
3 Thank Pete M

• Arabic first
Jeddah
“Like being in a Parisian Cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I visited Layla's Gourmet around the Christmas Holiday time. My family of four, which included two boys ages 12 and 16, had high tea on a Sunday afternoon. There was live music, holiday treats, and traditional high tea. The cafe/bakery was filled with people in the front room and the main room. We had made reservations the night before, so we got a table immediately. The decor is absolutely delightful. We were greeted by a very friendly wait staff who took our orders and brought out our drinks. The boys ordered hot chocolate, my husband ordered a cappuccino, and I ordered a latte. Then, the three tiered stand with plates came out loaded with scones, tiny sandwiches, sweets, jam, and cookies....one stand for each of us. The owner of the cafe, Layla, and her daughters joined our table and brought out homemade pecan pie, tea, coffee, and more pastries and we all talked and talked. It was a fascinating experience in a wonderful atmosphere. If you want to feel like leaving The Kingdom for an hour or two, visit Layla's Gourmet. It's perfect for one on one chatting over tea, or family gathering, or for a group of people. There is a bakery for take-out items, and they will cater if needed. We took home carrot cake, along with items we couldn't finish at High Tea.

• Visited December 2012