“Guest complaint”

Sheraton Jeddah Hotel
Ranked #27 of 175 Hotels in Jeddah
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The location is very good but the service standard is way below the 5star rating. The duty manager was very irresponsible and never called me for a complaint in spite of 3 reminders. When you stay there it means they are doing a favour. Morning breakfast was good but the delay in room service is unbearable. Internet is very slow and no one comes to rescue for a very long time. don't expect anyone to pick up line even after 10 rings. Minimum 10 rings is a norm.

Room Tip: choose the sea facing room. it is fantastic
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Abdul B, Manager at Sheraton Jeddah Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are certainly disappointed that your stay was not at all it could have been.
I would like to apologize on behalf of our team. Your comments have been shared to all our team members in order to ensure that this kind of experience will not be repeated.
Once again please do accept my apologies and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Jeddah Hotel.

Executive Office
Sheraton Jeddah Hotel & Resorts.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

This hotel is overlooks the sea and if it was in Europe, this would be a lovely place to stay. Sadly, there is not much going on Jeddah, let alone on the beach opposite the hotel. So do not go there thinking the beach location is a plus point and you will have fun on the beach. Sunbathing and running around in beach clothing is strictly not allowed. However, the hotel is a pleasant retreat from such restrictions as you can swim in the lovely swimming pool without much frowning from the locals. The bedroom was comfortable, but I found the bathroom a bit small/compact. Generally, it is not a bad place to stay and I would recommend it for business stay. I didn't see any families staying here. The food choice on the menu at dinner time was not great so you may just as well go for the buffet. However, it is not cheap and the prices are in par with any European restaurant in any decent hotel. The breakfast had a bit more variety with a decent choice of buffet and cooked food. On the whole not a bad place to stay when in Jeddah.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Emirdubai
Reviewed December 23, 2012

we booked in Sheraton, jeddah for 3 days in December 2012. we thought like other sheraton 5 stars hotel.
i shocked when the porter open the door, the carpet was soo dirty, the smoking smell is aufel, the toilets wasn't clean, all the furniture was old & needs to be replaced.
i call them and asked for a new room, they transfer me to a new room same as the previous one.
very bad experience in Sheraton Jeddah.

Room Tip: higher floors have less noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank mohameddubai1990
Reviewed December 19, 2012

My frist impression was bas as I was not informed at the time of booking the hotel is undergoing renovation. The rooms reminded me of my childhood as it seems they have never changed since (except the flatscreen TV).

The breakfast room is not even in the same building - thank god I was visiting during the winter otherwise I probably would have melted on the way.

I went for a conference and to my surprise, the ballroom of the hotel is not even located in the same compound but rather a few minutes away. They didn't even have a shuttle service and we had to take a cab to go from the Sheraton Hotel to the Sheraton Ballroom ... ridiculous!

More surprising was that the hotel was apparently full but when I went to the only non-all day dining restaurant which was the chinese on the top floor - I was the only one in the entire restaurant.

Overall very lonely and dingy - definitely will never go back unless I have no choice. The only good thing was the sea view.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor as there is a high concrete wall blocking your view to everything
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank SMehta79
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Sad. Very sad!

This hotel is truly caught in a 70's time warp, and for all the wrong reasons (certainly not any hip trendy retro ones!)

Imagine everything that was bad about 70's design, furnishings and service. Now your imagining what staying at this hotel is like. Notwithstanding the VERY dated decor and furnishings, can it really be right that you have to run your shower for a full 5 mins in the morning to get hot water? Can it really be right (in this millennium) that WiFi only works in parts of your room? Is it really right that the restaurant is moved to "a temporary location" in an outbuilding, appears significantly reduced in terms of quality & choice, yet they still charge full price, (while the waiting staff are amongst the least attentive I think I have ever experienced in an Starwood property).

In fairness the hotel claims to be undergoing a full refurbishment program (2010-13). Albeit VERY needed, I saw no evidence of any refurbished areas at all during my stay.

Sorry, you simply HAVE to do MUCH better!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 26, 2012

It started with check-in, took 5mins to find me a non-smoking room. Although I am SPG Platinum and I stayed 8 nights, it didn't came to the checkin clerk's mind that a renovated room would be a good idea... I found out 1 week later that the second tower has been renovated and offers rooms that one would expect from a new business hotel. Still, I was put into the main tower. Room is spacious, that's the only positive. Otherwise it's oldish (like the rest of the hotel), old wooden panel, tacky desk. Bathroom is old too. Carpet seems recent but apparently daily cleaning of the room does not include vacuum cleaning.
Wifi is not super stable (it was free with my SPG card, otherwise SAR 95/day, what a rip off). TV did not work at all time, in particular the movie channels (local, not HBO).
Main issue in this hotel is service:
- when calling reception (after they waited 10 rings to pick up the call), they are courteous but no warm at all, it feels like they are being disturbed.
- room cleaning is terrible: no vacuum cleaner, objects like notepads or pencils are not put back in place, balcony floor and table were super dirty, rusty chairs, there was a cigarette butt there when I checked in, doors of the cabinets are left open, ...
- I once called to have my room serviced, came back from breakfast 20mins later, nobody had come.
- upon returning from work, I once found out that the TV remote control had vanished...lucky I had locked everthing in the safe. Another day, I have 1 underwear also gone missing, am pretty much sure it's been stolen... (too bad for whoever took it, that's the one I used for my gym workout, yuk !)
The choice of food in the club lounge is pathetic, all pre-cooked (larger breakfast is in the main restaurant), like a cold buffet.
Food in room service is really not great, french fries were soggy, average meat, salad looks like pre-packed one...
Only renovated place is the gym, which is quite nice, with brand new TV-connected treadmills.
According to the posters everywhere, the hotel is undergoing renovation that spread from 2010 to 2014 (yes, 2014)...
I chose this hotel because SPG Platinum and also Rosewood was 30% more expensive... next time I'll be less cost-conscious.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
SheratonGMJeddah, Manager at Sheraton Jeddah Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Many thanks for commenting on your stay with us. First and foremost apologies for some of the substandard facilities that you encountered. The hotel is indeed going through a complete renovation. Due to the nature of the renovation that includes everything both guest and service facing, and in order to ensure there are no interruptions to service, this is a 3 year project with completion in 2014. Over half the rooms are complete, the main tower Club Rooms renovation that you experienced will follow from mid 2013 onwards. Before that time the restaurant and garden as well as other catering areas will be completed. Be assured the room service experience will be improved upon your return. In line with Sheraton policy effective january 2013 basic browsing internet will be offered free of charge to all guests, whilst enhanced speed for downloading and streaming movies will be offered at a fee. You will appreciate that we would be delighted to show multiple TV channels. However, we are limited in our options considering the local Saudi culture. Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back should you decide to choose the Sheraton. Obviously at that time I will also be delighted to meet with you in person and show you the exciting renovation plans in more detail. Sincerely, Edwin Wijkhuys, General Manager

Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Sheraton is old and has many renovations at the moment, but the location is still the best, not far from the airport on the corniche and without the horrendous traffic in other parts of the city. This is my reason I continue to stay there. My room was an old room in the main building, it has decor of 20 years ago but with beautiful views and these old rooms now also have wifi as well as wired internet. The restaurant is now under renovation but the alternative is quite nice in a hall with a great view over the Red Sea. Breakfast is quite elaborate. The pictures in the room of the new rooms and restaurants are promising. In the evening I suggest to head to the many cafes right next door in the mini mall and experience a bit of Saudi life.

Room Tip: main building has good views but are old rooms, the side wings are newly renovated but have less vie...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate our location on the Corniche and we look forward to welcoming you back again. From the third quarter 2013 onwards the first Club Rooms overlooking the Red Sea will also be renovated and then the decor will certainly be bright and modern, matching the other facilities. Sincerely, Edwin Wijkhuys, General Manager