“Cheap room.. but manager will rip you off in other ways!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of al-Gawaher Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aleppo
al-Gawaher Hotel
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Aleppo
Sliema, Malta
“Cheap room.. but manager will rip you off in other ways!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

Stayed at the Al Gawaher for 3 nights, and paid 600 Syrian pounds per night for an air-conditioned room with private shower, including towels and toilet paper. It was a fair price for what we got.

However, me and my friends felt that we had been completely ripped off by the manager who sold us 2 tours to visit places around Aleppo. The first tour wasn't so bad, which is why we felt confident to go for the 2nd tour. For the first tour we paid 2000 Syrian pounds, to be in a minivan with a total of 12 people. Now check the labour cost and the gasoline cost in Syria, and if 12 people pay that much for a 6-hour tour, that's a lot of money! This tour had no tour guide and nothing else included, just the transport. But in all fairness, we agreed to the price, and were charged accordingly. I guess in this case its a situation where we knew that it was really expensive, but there was no other choice. After all we did see a lot of historic places that day.

Then the second tour that we took was where we were really cheated. Me and my friends wanted to go from Aleppo to Damascus, by following a dessert route to visit lake al-Assad and Palmyra. So we asked the manager how much it would cost if we could get someone to take us to the lake and then to Palmyra. (from Palmyra we could then continue on our own with a public bus) And the manager told us, it would cost us about 12000 Syrian pounds for the 3 of us. We thought it was a bit too expensive, so we told him we'll think about it. He told us to think about it and that if he found more people to go with us then it will be much cheaper. Me and my friends decided that we'll go for it even though it was expensive, (now or never situation) The next day the manager told us that he'd found another 2 to go with us, so the price will be even cheaper. On the day of out departure, we were asked to pay 3500 each for the tour (just transport), which we paid thinking that there's going to be 5 people in the vehicle. Instead there were 9 travellers. Now here we're already thinking that the price was really really expensive, but we couldnt do much because we had already departed. By the end of the day we found out that the others had paid less for the tour, about 2000-2500. It might be a small amount, but it is enough to make you feel like you've been cheated and played around with!

Conclusion, the hotel might not be so bad after all for the price you pay.. but really do be careful of anything else you purchase if you stay there!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank laratabone

Business
Liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2010

Overall I thought it was good hostel and a good place to meet other travellers. Its a shame that one of the managers, the younger one, made everything difficult. I arrived and asked for the cheapest bed available. He told me I had to have a single room but later found out they had much cheaper and available options on the roof. I said I would like to stay for 3 nights. "no problem" I was told. After the second night the same manager said he needed my bed as a group had arrived. In my view "no problem' equates to a booking. Luckily the other older and very sensible manager said of course I could stay. I had the misfortune of losing my credit and debit cards in Aleppo. The same manager thought this was hilarious and offered no help or advice but pranced around being smug. Just watch out for him.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank ssebaf
dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

i really liked this place. it was great value, $20 per night for a 2 people with private bathroom.
The bathroom was not great ot be honest, and a pair of flip flops was a godsend for the bath, which looked like it had never been introduced to Cif.
The room had everything we needed; the bed shets might have been mis matching and with a hole in them, but they were spotless. Tho we booked a double we got 2 singles, but this seemed to happen everywhere in the Middle East so it might be a language issue.
the room has AC, which is a huge consideration if going to Aleppo in summertime. There was also a TV and a tiny balcony, with lovely old wooden shutters to keep out the noise!
The main thing this place has going for it is the staff. they were just so nice and laid back. Typical Syrians. they gave us loads of free tea, and even let us use their mobile phone. when my husband had a sick stomach they madfe him a special herbal tea.
it's a very hand location for both Old and New city.
For twenty dollars, this place is hard to beat. and Aleppo is brilliant.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Gloucester, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2010

A friend and I stayed in Al Gawaher for 4 nights in July 2010. We had originally planned to stay or two nights but after arriving early we realised there was so much to do in Aleppo we should stay one extra night. We arrived at the hotel to find the owner (Ahmad) to be very helpful and friendly with excellent English. We had a twin room on the third floor, which had two reasonably comfortable beds, a (slightly cramped) bathroom which had an excellent shower, as well as A/C. The room was all we could ask for seeing as we were not planning on spending much time in the hotel. The total cost for the room for both of us was 1000SP per night, a rate we never managed to match for our entire journey around the Middle East. We found all the hotel staff to be very helpful and friendly, offering to organise trips for us to the Dead Cities in northern Syria (an excellent day out, total cost of about 1300SP so about £15 for transport and food and getting in to all the sites) Would definitely stay at Al Gawaher again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank jdfre123
Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2010

I stayed in this hotel three nights and it was a good choice for the price we spent.
Rooms are basic and bathrooms could be better but Ahmed is very friendly and helpful, the position is good (close to the city center and to the museum) and breakfast great!
I think that if I will visit Syria again I will probably go to al Gawaher again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2010

Conviniently located just a few blocks away from the Old City), but in a very dirty street. The rooms could be cleaner and there was a lot of noise from the street. Personally, I did not have a good relationship with the reception person, but I guess I didn't contribute.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MateoBB
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2010

Every hotel that we have stayed based on lonely planet's reccommendations turns out to be a bad choice. Maybe once in the guide they slack off. It was very expensive for the dump that it is and in low season. It has a convenient location, but so do most hotels in Aleppo. It was so noisy that we had to wear ear plugs, the toilet would not flush, the tub would fill with water like a pool and then would leak into the floor, when we told them there was no hot water they said we had to let it run for 10 minutes, you have to keep asking them for toilet paper, no breakfast available, not all of the staff were the friendliest, no internet, ac was not working, and we got bitten by mosquitos. Ruined my time in Aleppo, which is a wonderful place. Book another hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ayearinmotion

Been to al-Gawaher Hotel? Share your experiences!