All reviewsguest housenight marketthe rivertwin roomair confew minutes walkquiet streetmangoguesthousebalconymekong
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I am absolutely in love with this place. Hoxieng Guesthouse I is fantastic-has all the amenities one could want. Free-wi-fi, nice, cozy rooms, central to everything in town but more importantly the family that runs this place are absolutely lovely. They treated me like a princess and I extended my stay for much longer... now I consider it my second home. I upgraded to Hoxieng II guesthouse because it is brand new, both guesthouses have cable television; (not that I ever watched,) however, I had free wifi in all my rooms, there is a fridge, free coffee and hot pot in each room, flat screen t.v's, hot water with great water pressure some of the rooms have big bathtubs and the beds are very comfortable. In addition, I am so central to Joma bakery, the night markets, Utopia, The beautiful Mekong river, great restaurants. The Hoxieng family that run the place make it so homey...Mee Mee, Cat, "Bruce Lee" aka Tome, Janette and Grandma. They are so endearing. This place gets booked fast so its smart to make an early reservation. I have such an affinity for this place that I would never consider staying anywhere else in Luang Prabang!!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Beautifully finished throughout, the rooms are the nicest & most luxurious we seen in Laos, we had the best sleep in the very comfy bed and all amenities are provided; ac, tv, fridge, hot water filter, comp coffee. We even had a bath! The private balcony was a relaxing place to while away an evening reading and watching locals & backpackers go about their business below. Staff were so so, as is common throughout much of Laos, they were friendly enough but seemed to spent more time snoozing in Reception than anything else really! Overall a great find and would highlly recommend! (Just don't mistake it for it's older relative across the lane!)

Room Tip: Front facing room on the 1st floor - private balcony & nice views
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2011

We were unexpectedlyfierced to spend the night due to a double booking elsewhere necessitated by others' medical emergency. But rather than stay just one night, we decidedly to stay two nights for the following reasons:

1. Very good value for high season ($35 per night).
2. Very comfortable room with personal balcony.
3. Excellent bathroom that looked liked it belong to a two-star hotel rather than a guest house.
4. Surprisingly excellent Wifi connectivity.
5. Flat screen TV with the best channel selection we've seen in SE Asia.
6. Excellent location close to all major sights and less than a minute's walk from Jomo Bakery in one direction and the Mekong River in the opposite direction.

Here are the negatives:
1. Often no one is at the front desk so one naturally wonders about security.
2. No restaurant and breakfast.
3. It was a bit noisy during the daytime due to cross alley construction plus other noise from a bustling urban community.

Considerations:
1. There are now two guesthouses of the same name on the same alley. We stayed in the one on the southside, closer to the middle of the block.
2. Only a few rooms have a balcony.

Overall, though not the cheapest, Hoxieng is probably one of the best, hidden values in Luang Prabang.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank TomCoyner
Reviewed January 28, 2010

We accidently stumbled onto this little gem. We had nothing organised when we arrived in Luang Prabang. The taxi driver dropped us near the post office and pointed down the laneway next to JoMa's cafe indicating that there plenty of guest houses in the area. The guest house cost about $25US a double. The room was air conditioned, well furnished and with a very comfortable. bed. The owners were hospitable, helpful and friendly. The guesthouse was only a few minutes walk from the centre of town and from the Mekong River. We were given the room directly opposite the reception. Nice room but a little noisy. I think it would be better to ask for a rear room or one on the top floor. Still, all in all, a very pleasant 4 day stay and good value for your money.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2008

We were recommended this guesthouse by people we met on our travels, and were really impressed.

The guesthouse is obviously family owned, and run effeciently by a lovely lady who can't do enough for you.

The rooms were small but well equipped, although the ground floor rooms behind reception were a little noisy, go for the 1st floor ones.

Location is within walking distance to everything Luang Prabang has to offer, but for the pagodas further afield you can rent bikes from places on the same street.

Our highlight had to be the free stcky rice cakes the owner handed out to everyone in the afternoon, we started to look forward to 3pm everyday!

Stayed: October 2007