“Great place to see Falang misbehave during morning alms” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Senesouk

Villa Senesouk
Ranked #78 of 259 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“Great place to see Falang misbehave during morning alms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

we picked a room on the balcony to watch the morning alms ceremony and while you have an eagle eye seat to see the monks, you also can see the tour companies arriving at 5:30am to set up things for the busloads of tourists that arrive at 6am. I saw some appalling behavior - people right up in the monk's faces using flash, blocking their route, giving them cheap food purchased from street vendors. Appalling. I moved to the back room. While its larger and more spacious, room B3 should be avoided as you feel like you are in the neighbors house. I cuold hear the baby crying in the night, the old lady clearing her throat all morning, and breakfast. However, the staff is nice, the hotel is pretty lovely. But the beds are very hard.

Room Tip: Avoid B3 for noise, if you want to see monks, upstairs front balcony is good spot.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sarah M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

We stayed here for four nights, three nights in a room in the rear block and one night in the front block ground floor next to reception.

The room in the rear block was the more expensive room, however we could only have it for three nights as it was already booked for the fourth. The room isnt massive but looks very nice, wood is everywhere. The shower pressure was poor but other than that the bathroom was ok. The view from the bedroom window isn't great but the court yard between the two blocks is also very nice.

The room at the front was a different story. On the plus side it faced the temple so we could watch the 6am routine of monks asking for food from our terrace. However, both the bedroom and bathroom are in bad need of refurbishment, there was also a damp smell. Thankfully it was only one evening.

Location is good, being only a couple of minutes walk from the centre of town and also opposite a temple.

I would stay here again, but I would want the room we had the first time round.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

I recently arrived at this guest house and as I alighted from the taxi was asked if I had a booking, which I did. I then produced the voucher from Hotel Club for 3 nights and the the lady there then proceeded to tell me that I had to pay more as they had incorrectly stated the price. When I booked it was advertised as pay for 2 nights and one night free. I was left with little choice but to pay for an extra night as being in my late 60's I had neither the strength or the inclination to look around at that late in the day for further accomodation. I had read varying reviews on this guest house about changing rooms etc. but not about charging more. With hindsight I wish I had booked somewhere else as the bed was like sleeping on concrete and after paying less in both Siem Reap and Chiang Mai for excellent rooms this certainly wasn't value for money. I would not recommend anyone to stay there.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank PAULIE36
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

The hotel had a great location as it was situated opposite a temple. From our balcony, we were able to witness the monks' alms-giving ceremony. As the hotel is situated towards the end of Sakkarin Road, restaurants and night market were walking distance, yet we didn't have the trouble of dealing with all the noise in the main street. The rooms were also big and the beds were comfy.

The only problem is the staff. We booked the hotel through an online agency (a reputable one). At the time of booking, the agency had a promo of book 1 night and get 2nd night booking for free. We paid a small amount for deposit and we were issued a voucher which stated the details of the booking. The voucher said that balance shall be paid upon check out from the hotel.

Upon check in, we gave the voucher to the hotel staff. He read the voucher and didn't say anything. Upon check out, however, we were being charged for 2nights regular rate! I argued saying that we presented the voucher which included the details of the promo held by the agency upon check in and they did not say anything about it. The staff just said the voucher is invalid and they cannot honor it. I was so mad I insisted on calling the online agency and had their representative talk to the hotel staff. I think the hotel staff never realized I'd take time to call the online agency and bring this to their attention. In the end, the hotel honored the voucher and accepted payment as clearly stated in said voucher.

Beware to those who want to visit this hotel. Better to set things straight with the staff even prior to check in. I am pretty sure they are aware of the discounted rates offered through online agency, but pretend that they don't in order to charge tourists their rack rate.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank treenich
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

We booked 2 nights at the Villa Senesouk guest house, Luang Prabang through hotelclub.com and on arrival we were told that they had no record of us booking in. We had the booking confirmation printed out and the lady firstly told us we must have cancelled it! We informed her we definitely did not cancel it and I even logged on to my e-mail account to prove we had booked it and had a confirmation e-mail there. After another few minutes looking and checking she told us that she had no record at all, and that she had a room for us that night but the only room they had the following night was a deluxe room at $50 per night. We explained we were back packing and could not afford that much and could she subsidise the rate because of the circumstances and we were told no. We asked could our deposit of $7 be refunded or taken off the amount we were paying for that one night and we were also told no! The room itself is fine apart from a very hard mattress and location is good but the service is terrible and the worst we have experienced in our travels. They were very unfriendly and not even so much as an apology or any help what so ever was offered which resulted in us spending our first night here looking for alternative accommodation which luckily we found and it is nicer than Villa Senesouk at same price! If your booking here it might be best to ring them or e-mail to confirm you have a room.

Room Tip: Don't expect any help or empathy from staff!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 2fatpigs
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights and enjoyed a very relaxing stay.

The hotel itself is very well kept with a beautiful teak wooden reception area and stair case. We had a room upstairs with a fantastic view overlooking the temple over the road and I often spent time watching the monks come and go. The room itself was cosy and finished again in the teak style and included a fridge with bottled water, comfortable beds, a mosquito net and television with full cable access. The bathroom was nice as well although the shower wasn't hot enough for my liking, but it did the job perfectly well. The staff were really friendly as well and no request was any trouble for them. The Hotel is only around a 10 minute walk from the centre of town and the night market, which in the evening time is beautiful. And all for $30 a night.

However the WiFi didn't work at all during our stay which is fine as its a little shaky in Laos and I was woken up each night by the Monks banging their drums every morning at about 4am, but again this is all part of the experience isn't it? So I won't complain about that. However I did think about going over there in my dressing gown to shout 'I'm trying to bloody sleep over here!'.

So if you don't mind dodgy WiFi and loud Monks, Senesouk is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Wake up at 5am any day if the week to watch the Monks taking alms.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tebbotron
auckland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

Four days in LP and in all that time staff were indifferent to everything - never enquired about our stay, room, if they could help with anything - when asked, they told us they had no map of the town but could get one for $10US! When we wanted a telephone book they had none and didn't try to help us get in touch with the agency we were fixing up a trip with. They key was handed over at night without a word spoken -great ! There are far better and numerous B&B level places in the main 3 streets. The room was clean but very dark, mini fridge had nothing in it but water, definately no wow factor. Location good for the alms but so are others at that level of cost -c$50US a night should command a thankyou !

Room Tip: Its not noisy anywhere, if you want to see the alms ceremony at 6.0 am every morning take a front ro...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple