“Good location, very basic room.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lotus Villa Boutique Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Lotus Villa Boutique Hotel
Ranked #13 of 70 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Monterey County, California
“Good location, very basic room.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

We liked the location on a quiet street but not too far from everything. But the rooms were very basic for the price. No amenities, not even shampoo or kleenex. The rooms felt like a big closet, with weird fold out doors and no window. No pictures on the wall or tv and the wifi was spotty. Breakfast was ok on the chilly patio. Staff was very friendly.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
rianja, Manager at Lotus Villa Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear 'mndb',

I apologize for the delay in responding, but as you and other readers may know, a bicycle accident really held up my ability to write. But at last - here I am!

I have to confess I am puzzled by your comment that the room had no amenities. All of our rooms feature hairdryers, hand-milled soap, hand made (and paraban free) shampoo, kleenex, bottled water, fresh towels and linens, silk covered decorative (and comfy!) pillows in addition to 'sleeping pillows", luggage racks, a large storage drawer (under the bed), a clothes hanging rack (suspended from the ceiling) with wooden hangars, a mini-fridge for storing drinks and snacks, water glasses, & etc.

Coffee & tea making facilities, mosquito nets, additional bedside lamps, additional chairs, a (small) writing desk, tea lights, ice, and so on, are all available on request, as per the information book on the bedside table.

I think the most important thing, for all of us who travel, is to bear in mind that if something feels lacking, to speak with the management. A good hotelier will respond immediately, and do their absolute best to meet the requests of their guests.

Thank you for writing 'mndb', and we wish you all the best, for all your travels.

With Best Regards,
Evelyn
Lotus Villa
Luang Prabang, Laos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights.The hotel is very centrally located, nicely priced for Luang Prabang ($85/night) and the room's balcony provided a great opportunity to watch the alms ritual by the Buddhist monks closely without disturbing the religious ceremony.

Also, the hotel staff was very helpful in getting around town and organizing trips.

Our highlight in Luang Prabang was a day trip with Watt - one of the hotel staff members - to two ethnic villages in the hills. These villages are a 2 hour hike from the nearest road, don't have running water/electricity, and are not frequented by tourists often (maybe once/twice a month). Visiting the villages provided great and genuine insights into the local village life. Watt advised us to take some presents for the kids in the villages and we brought some 100 pens/paper booklets (<$15). This not only allowed us to contribute but the overwhelmingly enthusiastic reaction from the children was one of our best experiences in South East Asia so far.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. The monks procession can be seen every morning from the hotel balcony. The rooms were very clean with good hot showers. I would have preferred a more conventional bathroom but that is a personal choice. I loved the breakfast in the outdoor courtyard, a little chilly in the morning but refreshing and heaters were offered but unnecessary if you come from Northern Europe. I especially liked the staff at the Lotus Villa who went out of their way to be helpful and friendly. I can recommend taking the waterfall tour arranged by Mr Bounsawatt - a knowledgeable and reliable driver.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
milwaukee, wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Unfortunately, it was very cold in Laos when we were there, and unfortunately, there were no sitting areas in this hotel that weren't outdoors. I understand it was subnormal weather, but eating breakfast in a cold climate outdoors was not my cup of tea. In addition, the walls are paper thin, and you could hear people talking in the adjoining rooms loud and clear. The rooms are very nice, and the staff is very accommodating. It was nothing out of the ordinary, and for the price, I did not think it was good value. I also thought the very narrow stairs going up to the rooms on the front side were not suitable for carting luggage up and down. I picked this place because they advertised the monks going by in the morning, but we learned that we could walk two blocks up to the main drag and see the monks just the same. They do come by Lotus Villa, but by then, they have gotten most of their food from the people dishing it out on the main drag. I think I would try a different place next time - and there are tons of them. Beautiful city.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank burtoninarabia
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Lotus Villa is a simple but very pleasant place to stay while exploring Luang Probang. It is conveniently located in the historical center within walking distance to all must see sites in Luang Prabang.  We stayed in the lotus room. It is compact, clean with a private balcony overlooking the lush garden on one side.  The bed is firm and comfortable. Bathroom is basic, but has plenty of hot water for shower.  Breakfast choices are good and served in the lovely garden. The staff are warm and helpful.  However, what really sets Lotus Villa apart is its terrific Canadian manager Evelyn who is professional, warm, resourceful, and exceedingly helpful.  During our stay, my husband unfortunately injured his ankle. Evelyn was exceedingly helpful in arranging our visit to the hospital and making sure that we were as comfortable as possible. She went out of her way to make sure that we got to see the best available doctor at the best hospital in Luang Prabang.  Her presence was definitely a big assurance and emotional support to us in such an emergency situation. We strongly recommend Lotus Villa to all independent travelers who visit the beautiful city Luang Prabang.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Caroline D
Clermont-Ferrand, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is very nice, with a little garden in the middle.

Rooms are big, also the all-together shower/toilet cabinet was a little stange and not the most convinient to use.

Real hot water in the shower, which is a huge plus in my opinion, especially nice the weather was cold.

Very nice and helpfull staff that speak decent english.

Located 10 minutes walking from the night market, which was perfect for us.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

First some background. I found a recommendation for Lotus Villa on another travel site when starting some preliminary SE Asia trip planning. I didn't think I would visit Luang Prabang on my most recent trip because I have two young kids. I didn't think they were ready to go somewhere without kid-oriented activities. Fortunately, my concerns were misplaced, as my kids loved LP as well as Northern Thailand.

I chose Lotus Villa mainly because of the positive TripAdvisor reviews, and more importantly because of the personal replies on TA from the hotel manager Evelyn (as well as Evelyn's prompt replies to my own emails).

From reading the reviews and Evelyn's responses, I felt that the hotel management really cared about the guests (which we found to be 100% true during our stay) and its staff. A second consideration for choosing Lotus Villa was that the hotel is an ethical employer and the owners of the hotel contribute part of their profits to sponsor an orphange. This I gathered from their website as well as from other TA reviews.

I should note that this is my first review on TA despite registering a few years ago (and having heard of TA more than a decade ago). I don't usually write reviews. Most of my stays are in chain hotels (Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood, Mandarin Oriental, etc) so I don't think my review really matters for those larger properties. However, in this case, I am writing mainly because I want to thank Evelyn and her staff (including but not only Bounta and Lia) for making our stay such an enjoyable one. I know my kids would agree that they enjoyed their time at Lotus Villa.

I give Lotus Villa five stars nearly across the board. I only give four stars on value because all good/better hotels in LP are overpriced in my opinion. Having said this, we stayed at another hotel for our final night (because we extended our stay by an extra day and Lotus Villa was sold out -- I knew this in November when I made my booking). This other hotel which is located on the Nam Khan River cost the same as our Orchard Suite but was far inferior, both in terms of the room itself and the service, in my opinion, so I may be a bit unfair for not giving a five rating for value. For example, this other property (which is a top 20 ranked property on TA) gave us a baby cot even though they saw that my youngest child was 5 years old! And the shower was the size of a small phone booth.

At Lotus Villa, I booked an Orchard Suite because there are four of us. It was more than spacious. I liked the many windows in the two connecting rooms and having both a bathtub as well as a separate shower. Not having a TV in the room didn't matter to us; I saw it as a plus. I had arranged for separate bedding for my two kids when I made my reservation and this was all ready when we arrived.

We arrived during the "winter" (it's all relative) so it felt a bit cold on our first night. We weren't shivering but I was worried about my kids who tend to kick off their blankets. When assistant manager Bounta asked me the next morning how everything was, I mentioned it felt a bit cold. He then offered a space heater and extra blankets which we had for our second and third nights. In hindsight, it would have been better to have the space heater already in the room for our first night.

The hotel's location is a key selling point. For me, the morning alms giving was always going to be a highlight of any trip to LP, and Lotus Villa's location along the monks' morning route was ideal for reflection and participation. Because of its location, and because we had a balcony directly overlooking the procession, my 5-year-old son was able to watch (and decide whether he wanted to get up at 645am and go to the street level). One of my favorite memories from two weeks in SE Asia was when my son watched the procession from the street. He would not have been able to do this had he not been able to go from the balcony to the street in 30 seconds.

Another reason why we liked Lotus Villa was the breakfast. It was really one of the best hotel breakfasts I have had from a setting (in the courtyard garden), price, food quality and service. My kids are picky eaters but had no problem with the selection of bread, jams, eggs, and juices (ordered from a menu). The Lao noodles were delicious as well as a nice introduction to the local cuisine. I didn't appreciate how good the noodles were until I had the same dish at a restaurant closer to the night market area (see below).

Speaking of restaurants, do not go to Luang Prabang Pizza (I think that is the name). It was by far the worst meal I had in LP, where food is pretty good overall.

Lastly, I need to mention Evelyn again. I had heard that Evelyn was in an unfortunate bike accident before our visit, which was evident because she had stopped responding to TA reviews. Nevertheless, it being high season, Evelyn was back managing the hotel on a curtailed schedule during our visit despite broken ribs and her arm in a sling. During breakfast on my second and third days, she kept on top of all the guests to ensure that everyone was having a pleasant stay, and shared both local and regional travel tips which we appreciated very much.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family