“Nice hotel with convinient location”

Lotus Villa Boutique Hotel
Ranked #14 of 68 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed January 27, 2014

The hotel itself is very nice, with a little garden in the middle.

Rooms are big, also the all-together shower/toilet cabinet was a little stange and not the most convinient to use.

Real hot water in the shower, which is a huge plus in my opinion, especially nice the weather was cold.

Very nice and helpfull staff that speak decent english.

Located 10 minutes walking from the night market, which was perfect for us.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Lotus Villa Boutique Hotel

Reviewed January 26, 2014

First some background. I found a recommendation for Lotus Villa on another travel site when starting some preliminary SE Asia trip planning. I didn't think I would visit Luang Prabang on my most recent trip because I have two young kids. I didn't think they were ready to go somewhere without kid-oriented activities. Fortunately, my concerns were misplaced, as my kids loved LP as well as Northern Thailand.

I chose Lotus Villa mainly because of the positive TripAdvisor reviews, and more importantly because of the personal replies on TA from the hotel manager Evelyn (as well as Evelyn's prompt replies to my own emails).

From reading the reviews and Evelyn's responses, I felt that the hotel management really cared about the guests (which we found to be 100% true during our stay) and its staff. A second consideration for choosing Lotus Villa was that the hotel is an ethical employer and the owners of the hotel contribute part of their profits to sponsor an orphange. This I gathered from their website as well as from other TA reviews.

I should note that this is my first review on TA despite registering a few years ago (and having heard of TA more than a decade ago). I don't usually write reviews. Most of my stays are in chain hotels (Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood, Mandarin Oriental, etc) so I don't think my review really matters for those larger properties. However, in this case, I am writing mainly because I want to thank Evelyn and her staff (including but not only Bounta and Lia) for making our stay such an enjoyable one. I know my kids would agree that they enjoyed their time at Lotus Villa.

I give Lotus Villa five stars nearly across the board. I only give four stars on value because all good/better hotels in LP are overpriced in my opinion. Having said this, we stayed at another hotel for our final night (because we extended our stay by an extra day and Lotus Villa was sold out -- I knew this in November when I made my booking). This other hotel which is located on the Nam Khan River cost the same as our Orchard Suite but was far inferior, both in terms of the room itself and the service, in my opinion, so I may be a bit unfair for not giving a five rating for value. For example, this other property (which is a top 20 ranked property on TA) gave us a baby cot even though they saw that my youngest child was 5 years old! And the shower was the size of a small phone booth.

At Lotus Villa, I booked an Orchard Suite because there are four of us. It was more than spacious. I liked the many windows in the two connecting rooms and having both a bathtub as well as a separate shower. Not having a TV in the room didn't matter to us; I saw it as a plus. I had arranged for separate bedding for my two kids when I made my reservation and this was all ready when we arrived.

We arrived during the "winter" (it's all relative) so it felt a bit cold on our first night. We weren't shivering but I was worried about my kids who tend to kick off their blankets. When assistant manager Bounta asked me the next morning how everything was, I mentioned it felt a bit cold. He then offered a space heater and extra blankets which we had for our second and third nights. In hindsight, it would have been better to have the space heater already in the room for our first night.

The hotel's location is a key selling point. For me, the morning alms giving was always going to be a highlight of any trip to LP, and Lotus Villa's location along the monks' morning route was ideal for reflection and participation. Because of its location, and because we had a balcony directly overlooking the procession, my 5-year-old son was able to watch (and decide whether he wanted to get up at 645am and go to the street level). One of my favorite memories from two weeks in SE Asia was when my son watched the procession from the street. He would not have been able to do this had he not been able to go from the balcony to the street in 30 seconds.

Another reason why we liked Lotus Villa was the breakfast. It was really one of the best hotel breakfasts I have had from a setting (in the courtyard garden), price, food quality and service. My kids are picky eaters but had no problem with the selection of bread, jams, eggs, and juices (ordered from a menu). The Lao noodles were delicious as well as a nice introduction to the local cuisine. I didn't appreciate how good the noodles were until I had the same dish at a restaurant closer to the night market area (see below).

Speaking of restaurants, do not go to Luang Prabang Pizza (I think that is the name). It was by far the worst meal I had in LP, where food is pretty good overall.

Lastly, I need to mention Evelyn again. I had heard that Evelyn was in an unfortunate bike accident before our visit, which was evident because she had stopped responding to TA reviews. Nevertheless, it being high season, Evelyn was back managing the hotel on a curtailed schedule during our visit despite broken ribs and her arm in a sling. During breakfast on my second and third days, she kept on top of all the guests to ensure that everyone was having a pleasant stay, and shared both local and regional travel tips which we appreciated very much.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank moobaalalala
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I spent 5 nights in a welcoming environment at this lovely boutique guesthouse/hotel located in the charming peninsular area of Luang Prabang, Laos. Staffed by terrific young men who were eager to make me feel at home, I was very comfortable as a solo female senior. Great breakfast!

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights at the end of November 2013. We'd travelled through Burma, Thailand and then finally from Vientiane to Luang Prabang on an 11 hour bus journey which is another story. We got a
Tuk-tuk from the bus station but unfortunately he dropped us of at the top of the Sisavangvong road due to the night market he gave us vague directions and we eventually found the Lotus villa after asking for directions a couple of more times.
The Lotus villa was perfect great location, great rooms, great breakfast and great staff although the guy on reception probably got fed up of us waking him up every night as they seemed to lock up by 2230 hrs.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for four nights and would be happy to return. The location is just off the main street and is quiet. The central courtyard is a lovely place to have breakfast and just for quiet reading in the afternoon. Rooms and beds are comfortable ( no television) and the staff very attentive.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We stayed here for four nights and would highly recommend Lotus Villa to other travellers. The location, between the two rivers and easy walking distance to the 'hub' of Luang Prabang, is perfect. You are in amongst the local village life rather than being in a tourist enclave. I'm writing this in the delightful courtyard, an ideal spot to sit and relax. The staff are warm and friendly. The rooms are well equipped although I didn't get to use the in-room bath! Some noise from the kitchen can be a bit distracting although as an early riser I didn't find it too much of a problem

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2014

My family and I chose to stay at Lotus Villa over Christmas and the New Year after reading the reviews on Trip Adviser and we are very glad of our choice.

Nothing is too much trouble for Evelyn and her delightful staff. I'm particularly appreciative of Evelyn's suggestion to book in advance over the Christmas period, her sending me a list of activities and restaurants that may be of interest and then making and confirming the bookings for me.

I agree with other reviewers in that the courtyard is delightful, the breakfast enjoyable and the rooms are comfortable, spacious and tastefully decorated. We stayed in the Lotus rooms as we wanted private balconies to read and relax and a view of the alms ceremony from the front balcony.

The only downside for me was the loud chatter and noise that some of the other guests made in the courtyard or at the front of the hotel after the alms ceremony with little consideration for those of us still trying to sleep.

The location is perfect, in the centre of the old town with a short walk to many wats, restaurants, the Mekong and the Nam Khan rivers, the museum and the night market.

The delight of staying at a friendly boutique hotel is that you get to chat to some of the staff. The staff at Lotus Villa are full of smiles, happy to have a chat and extremely helpful. Everyone made us feel at home and I hope one day to return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family