“Amazing boutique hotel at budget price”

Thongbay Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 261 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
London
“Amazing boutique hotel at budget price”
Reviewed November 26, 2009

Quite simply one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in!

The owner, Philip (originally from Sweden) pays incredible attention to detail... and it shows, in spotlessly clean, traditional style rooms.

The food in the restaurant was nothing short of amazing.

I'm almost lost for words describing this place... this is somewhere I'd want to go for my honeymoon (and I've stayed in quite a few luxury resorts before - but I'd much prefer Thongbay).

It's the perfect place to relax, whilst still being close to Luang Prabang.

I can't really say anything more - other than this is one of those places that you simply have to visit in your lifetime if you possibly can.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
torquay
Reviewed October 27, 2009

I have recently returned from travelling around the world with my boyfriend and I can honestly say that Thongbay has got to be one of the top 10 places we stayed at during our year long trip. Here you are about 10 minutes away from town so it's peaceful but also beautiful with an idyllic garden and views accross the river. We stayed for two nights and on one of the nights we had dinner on our private balcony overlooking the river - absolutely amazing. We were treated like family and on our departure were even given presents for good luck. Would highly reccomend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Vientiane
Reviewed October 25, 2009

I have been here so many times and never wrote about it... that unfair !

What I love at Thong Bay:
- The beautiful heaven garden
- The view from the river bungalows
- Having my breakfast served on the terrace
- That it's not a standardized service but a friendly family ambiance
- Asking for the keys of the stairs going to the river and having a wild splash ! (not during winter months though)
- Being off the crowed
- The very correct prices given that Luang Prabang is an expensive city.

What I don't like
Hmmm, not much to say there! Oh yes, city center is not far BUT too far to walk there. I usually got a car when I am there so it's not a problem for me. I think last time I was there they had put in place a shuttle service... to be confirmed. Bicycle is an other good option.
Concerning the proximity of the airport... Luang Prabang is a minuscule city, and the airport is almost in town, so you'll probably hear the planes wherever you are if you stay near the town, but they are not big planes (so far...)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 21, 2009

Great place!!! Very nice Bungalows facing the river and others the garden, all are very good. Of course facing the river the view is great, but facing the garden the view is good to. Nice people, very friendly.

I recomend to everybody... Great

Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank joaopjorge
Brunz Headz, N.S.W.
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Just spent a week chilling out at ThongBay Guesthouse with my family. Eleven of us in all, from the ages of 16 to 70. The place is so beautiful. The gardens are exotic and the bungalows were spacious, well appointed and spotlessly clean. Our hosts were always helpful and nothing was ever a trouble. We liked the quietness of being out of town a little, and we still went into the town centre nearly every day without a hassle. The river bungalows have great verandahs overlooking the Nham River. The garden bungalows are enveloped in luscious palms and orchids. Both my father and I celebrated our birthdays here with a sumptuous Lao banquet prepared by Thong Bay staff. They set up a beautifully decorated table within the superb grounds which had been especially decorated with soft lighting and candles for the occasion. Lovely!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed October 4, 2009

This is our third night staying at Thongbay Guesthouse in Luang Prabang. Unfortunately all the river-facing rooms were booked so we opted for a garden room. We were very impressed with the room when we arrived; after taking the slow boat for two days Thongbay seemed like a dream oasis in a hot and sticky Luang Prabang. Phillip, a Swedish man in the office was very welcoming and kind to us when we arrived. We were shown around the room - hot showers, mosquito nets, fresh towels, cold water and beers in the mini bar needless to say we were sold! The mini bar is very reasonable and we really appreciated that. We had one meal at their restaurant (beef steak, dijon mustard, pepper gravy and chips) which was delicious and also very cheap. One of the down sides I can see is that it's quite far out of town and if you miss the free shuttles in the morning you'll either have a 1hour sweaty trek in or have to pay for a tuk-tuk (a reasonable price in however tuk-tuks in town will try to charge you a small fortune to get back) also you will most likely have a few experiences with bugs however you'd be hard pressed to find a bug-free digs in this neck of the woods. All in all it's been a good experience however it might be a little lonely for a single traveller who wishes to meet other people.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed October 3, 2009

Having seen so many positive reviews, we booked the first night and hesitated to book any more because we were worried it might be too far out of town. However, when we arrived and unpacked our bags into our riverside bungalow, we knew we'd stay here for the full five nights. It is a wonderful place to chill and relax on the balcony overlooking the river. The bungalows themselves are spacious, cool, clean and comfortable.

The service was excellent, particularly since our flight was delayed by 4 hours and we were still met at the airport by a guesthouse driver. We had one dinner and one full breakfast there, which were great, though afterwards we were content to arrange our own food and simply eat their wonderfully fresh baguettes for breakfast with our own selection of spreads, fruits and juices. They have free tuk-tuks that go into town at 9am, 11am, 5pm and 7pm each day, so while it is too far to walk, you only really have to pay for the return leg. One day we arrived a couple of minutes before 5pm and the tuk-tuk had already left so we had to pay that extra leg, but it really doesn't break the bank.

Overall we had such a positive experience in Luang Prabang, and Thongbay Guesthouse was one reason why it was so wonderful.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple