Thongbay Guesthouse
Satri House(Luang Prabang)
$136
$116
  • Breakfast included
Kiridara Luang Prabang(Luang Prabang)
$99
$84
Agoda.com
Le Sen Boutique Hotel(Luang Prabang)
$98
$66
$57
$46
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $52/night.

$86
$83
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $94/night.

Belmond La Residence Phou Vao(Luang Prabang)
$407
$298
1,071 results
All reviewsthong bayriver view bungalowfree shuttlethe rivertuk tukriverside bungalowseach morningbreakfast deliveredkaraoke barfamily bungalowwooden bungalowsin townregular shuttle servicethe nam khan riverbeautiful gardenhomemade yogurtcrepes
Reviewed August 15, 2008

Like all the reviews say, if you get one of the bungalows on the river it is really nice. You get a big balcony/terrace overlooking the river, a nice room, all great. And it is a nice guesthouse, you get breakfast delivered to your balcony every morning.
However:
These are traditional Lao style wooden bungalows, and they face right onto the river. Not the Mekong river, a smaller tributary that joins the Mekong at Luang Prabang. The bungalows have no glass in the windows, just mosquito net, which means you can hear the guy snoring in the next bungalow. There is a bar on the other side of the river that plays Lao pop music at full volume all night. Since the river is not very big if you are a light sleeper you wont sleep.

It's a great place, but the whole idea depends on it being tranquil and remote and it appears that the Lao people have other ideas. I really wanted to like this place but the mosquitoes, ants, music and remoteness from town put me off recomending it.

3  Thank vold
Reviewed August 6, 2008

We knew, after reading the reviews, that this guesthouse would have been very good, but when we arrived the place was actually even better than we could imagine: a place for honeymooners.
I would advice the river view bungalow, it's just few dollar extra but well worth. One of the owner, Philip, is a real gentleman, but also all the other staff was absolutely nice. Unforgettable place, unforgettable Laos

2  Thank inabigcountry
Reviewed July 14, 2008

The only "downside" is that if you get a riverside bungalow you won't want to leave your balcony! From our balcony I kept looking at Mount Phousi thinking, you know I really should go climb that thing. But when I was sitting there drinking banana shakes or Beer Lao that had been delivered to our deck, I just couldn't leave. We stayed for 8 nights so we could afford to just hang out on our balcony for days or afternoons. It was especially great since we were there during the wet season. So even when it was pouring rain we could lounge on the balcony and but still felt like we were doing something. Not cooped up in a coffee shop. Maybe if you were in Luang Prabang just for a night or two you may want to be closer to the action. But it seriously is just a quick ride into town. 10 minutes, not more. We walked it in 20, but since it was hot and rides were cheap and quick we often opted for tuktuks. But there is a little short cut if you walk and it takes you through areas you wouldn't see if you were staying in town. Every morning we woke up to breakfast on the balcony and watched the families across the way doing their washing, bathing, fishing, playing. The road is bumpy but you are on it for 3 minutes if that. Every tuktuk driver knew where it was and nobody overcharged us. Once we knew the rate was 20,000 kip we just agreed on that price before we took off. The windows just have screens, but good ones. No mosquitoes in the room. And there are wooden bars so it is secure as well. No problems in our 8 days. Life on the river is noisy because the sounds carry. If you have a problem with frogs croaking at night and birds in the morning, bring ear plugs. But we loved hearing those sounds. Beats cars and horns any day. The bathrooms are cool because even though they are covered and indoors they still have an outdoor feel. At night you will find geckos on the stone walls inside the bathroom. But harmless, and this is coming from someone who hates creeping things. There was also a gap under the door but we just solved that by rolling up a door mat at night and wedging it in the gap. Again, probably not needed, I am just paranoid. No problem. Not once did we see anything crawling inside our room. I cannot speak highly enough about this place. Definitely suggest you "slurge" on a riverside bungalow. Wonderful. We have travelled a lot and this was one of my favorites places ever. And after walking in town and seeing the other places that had been on my list we were still very happy with our choice. Maybe we would have eaten out more had we stayed near the main streets but I was happy wearing my pjs, having my Beer Lao and baguettes for dinner watching the sun set behind Mount Phousi. But if you are a young party-goer don't stay here. It is pretty quiet and not a party atmosphere at all. More couples or lone travelers. A few families.

1  Thank melenheads
Reviewed July 11, 2008

We booked the Thong Bay after reading another reviewer's report. And we were so happy we did. Thong Bay is made up of a small group of bungalow in amongst lovely gardens overlooking the river. The bungalows are in simple Laos style but clean, spatious, atmospheric and very comfortable. We first had a garden view bungalow and then moved to a river view one where we spent many hours sitting on the balcony watching the river and village people going about their lives over the river. All of the staff are incredibly helpful and the breakfasts, which you order the night before are good.

Thong Bay is about 20 minutes or so walking out of town but the staff tawill organise a tuk tuk if you don't want to walk. We used to walk into town during the day and take a tuk tuk back at night. Tuk tuks are not expensive and it was never a problem to get one.

We loved staying at Thong Bay despite it not being in the heart of Luang Prabang. It was only about US$26 a night and we stayed in more expensive places that wern't nearly as good. The only problem is that it can be booked out by Intrepid tour groups. We wanted to sy a bit longer but were unable to. I recommend that you book in advance.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Been_Thar
Reviewed May 22, 2008

My 4 friends and I stayed here for 3 nights in March and absolutely adored ThongBay Guesthouse. We had one family size bungalow (sleeps 3) and one twin bungalow overlooking the Nhan Khan river.

From the moment we got out of the airport we were very impressed. We utilised the guesthouse's airport pick up service and Mr Ti was there waiting for us with a friendly smile and drove us to the guesthouse which is only 5 minutes away. His English was excellent and it was a warm welcome to Laos.

The rooms are very spacious and the bathroom is HUGE. It's well maintained with the minimum essentials - there's no TV but we didn't need one.

I highly recommend you book a river view bungalow - waking up in the morning to the sound of the river currents and the local kid's playing across the river banks is so peaceful. I fell asleep on the deck in the afternoon for hours reading a book - just lovely!

They are currently building another 2 bungalows bringing the total of 15 (I think) but the owner said that's enough to maintain the family atmosphere.

Whist I recommend you need a tuk-tuk to get to and from town, it is very cheap and they are readily available. The only suggestion I have is for the place to have perhaps some day tour brochures available for guests to browse and organise instead of having to go into town to do so.

We loved everything about Luang Prabang, and we thank the owners and staff for making our stay so wonderful and memorable. Stay here and you wont' be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2008